Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CT get together?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 24, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey there - maybe a friendly mod can sticky this for me
    i was thinking of an informal get together for CT area TBers. Nothing fancy. Get together, BS, drink some Java, compare notes on the CT music scene, Maybe find a place to play a bit, compare gear. That sorta stuff. I live in an apartment so my place is straight out. I'm thinking a member with a house and tolerant spouse might be able to "host", so to speak. Just poking around to see if anyone's interested.
    any thoughts?

2. If you want to include RI, I think my house could be suitable.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    We had a N.E. gettogether a few months back that was held in a bar in Worschter (I can never remember how to spell that) so that's an option I think, but a house with a little extra room would be nice too. I'd be in I think :)

4. It would take alot of cleaning to be done, but my house has a home studio... It's a medium sized space, it could get cramped very quickly...

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    RI and Mass are cool as well. I was thinking af a small CT get together and probably a "southern NE" one as well. I'm not against doing a larger venue or radius. I just want to see how many CT or semi local people i can get together that might be put off by extra travel. I don't mind having peopel over at my apartment, but cranking amps is definitely out of the question. I usually use headphones or play a small amp quietly, and that is no way to compare goodies. :D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    stickied :)

7. Don't worry about cranking it. We have an all wood house+cider closet/vocal booth (incase you want to hear the harmonics of a bass really shine) if we host it at my house. It would save me the trouble of going since I'm 0-2 for all the NE g2gs.

8. I also vote Freaky's house, it's fairly large, and is nice on the inside.

9. Plus all wood construction, so it'll be fairly quiet outside.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds good to me-is it a bigger playing area than the bar we were at? Freaky, do you live close to Westerly?

11. Fairly close. Saunderstown is a suburb of Narragansett, which is 15-20 minutes away from westerly. If we use the studio, it's fairly small. If we use the family room, it's nice big and open if we move all the funiture out. I could bring up some mics, and if someone could bring some PA speakers, I could use my 4 channel mixer and get some vocals going.

12. Update: There is a neighborhood club house 7 steps away from my house, literally. It can hold up to 200 people, and it costs $75 to rent for members, and my mom said she would rent it. The rules are that the event has to be over by eleven, but if there are any lingerers, they could always crash at my house, we have a couch and a spare room. We also would have to hire a bartender for the night, but it won't be a problem since people over 21 will be there. Last ditch effort would be my place.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Oh, great, right after I just visited CT!! :meh:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it makes you feel any better, you can send free amps to all of us who do attend. ;)

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm votong for a plx 3402 or whatever it is. Are there really this few people in our fair state interested in a lil' shindig? I know this is chilly new england and all but sheesh. :rolleyes:

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Remember you only started this thread two days ago-lots of people don't even come on TalkBass on Sundays and Mondays. These things usually take a few weeks to a month or more to organize. I have a list of CT TBers somewhere-if you'd like I can send out a PM to all of them inviting them once we decide on a day and time.

Freaky, what days is the hall available? Sundays or Saturdays would be best I imagine.

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i know brt
    of course, if i posted about vomit in OT i woulda had 324 replies by now :p

18. Saturdays are fine. We just have to decide on a date.

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Depending on where it's held at, I might be able to go.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, but only two of the 324 posters would be from Connecticut :D Now post a thread complaining about how you can't buy beer past 9pm and you'll get ALL the nutmeggers to come out of the woodwork ;)