Curt Mangan Monel Strings in Prime Number Gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trothwell, Aug 9, 2022.

1. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like pure weapons-grade sphinctronium to me (refined from the raw buttnuggetite ore)...

3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Gauges (assuming tolerances are super-tight, which remains to be seen) are the outside, not the essence: what counts is internal construction. A .085" may be differ substantially from another, in core-to-wrap ratio and other factors.

But, most importantly: prime numbers...of what? These primes are taken from the decimal (centesimal) part of a measurement in inches: re-measure in millimetres and primes go out the window.

This is like the nonsense about 432 Hz being allegedly linked to the vibrational frequency of the heart / brain / earth / sun / water / universe / my butt.
    As noted in the link, amongst other, perhaps more egregious objections, here too we have a measurement-related optical illusion. Namely, "Hertz" = cycles per *second*, and how long the "second" lasts is a totally arbitrary unit of time from the point of view of an indifferent universe: IIRC, one founded on Chaldean astronomy and base-12 arithmetics, in turn originally developed from the number of finger bones we happen to have (minus the thumb, which was used to touch them during calculations).

tl;dr - what bholder said.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Absurd.

DJ Bebop and Jimmy Howe like this.
  5. "Prime number string gauges" = Prime example of BS marketing??

6. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I want these in a 43–59–79–103 set, as I like my prime numbers to have balanced tension.

KaraQ, DCCat, BassToGoGo and 13 others like this.
  7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Another absurdity of human beings

Lammchop93 and ColdEye like this.
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It really makes about as much sense as the 0.15 or 0.20 difference in string diameters which has pretty much become the standard.

Cal03 and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I kinda liked the gauges, until I looked up the density of Monel. It’s more dense than steel, which I think disqualifies these as potential strings for me.

I do applaud the idea of getting away from .005” multiples - especially at the lower end of string gauges, where the tension jumps are pretty big. I’d love a good .038” G string.

If we want to use math to derive string gauges, the proper way to do it is a geometric progression - a musical fourth is a ratio of 1.33 in frequency, and it turns out (there’s a square and a square root in the math that cancel) that’s also the diameter ratio that makes sense for a balanced tension string set. A 40 G matches a 53 D in tension, for example. That step is the one that’s most out of whack in a typical arithmetic progression (add 20 per string) 40-60-80-100 set

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  10. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    You're saying a string that is nominally an .085 could actually be a .065? And that's a standard variation???

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    No, I mean a set is typically in some differences of fives or tens because we like our base ten number system.

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Oh. OK. It should be noted that often the gauges on the package are nominal. The famous Rotosound set used to be labeled something like 46-63-80-102 and it's now labeled as 45-65-80-105 but people here who say they've measured the strings say they're still the same as the old diameters.

mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Need to look at this one under a sphinctroscope. Closely.

14. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Sounds like the folks writing fender and Nordstrom ad copy are moonlighting

15. KenD

KenD

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    About as credible as his "Fusion Matched" schtick.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    It might not be the silliest thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s in the top five.

17. Too bad they’re spouting this nonsense, because they do make good strings. I’ve had nickel rounds from them on both basses and guitars, and their quality (and customer service) really should speak for themselves. Also: I selected my own gauges when ordering from them, choosing my gauges by consulting available string tension calculators :laugh:

Snaxster, tindrum and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    As a bassist with a first class honours degree in mathematics, let me add this Sherman Potterism: Horse hockey!:rollno:

RyanSaranich, nickpc, NigelD and 5 others like this.
  19. Good ol' Col. Potter!

Horse Hockey.jpg

rtav, RyanSaranich, BassinCT and 2 others like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Prime filet with homemade chimichurri.
    upload_2022-8-9_21-51-3.jpeg