1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

DarkStar American Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveDeVille, Jun 23, 2007.

1. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

are you strung with flats ?
    my Chrome's sound great with the pole pieces switched like this ...

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    sexiest pbass of 08 award. doesnt matter that it's only february, there won't be anything better:smug:

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sweet DS'd bass! David and Bartman, it's good to see more reviews on the DS with the pole pieces towards the neck. I just bought a DS'd Skyline Glaub with the pole pieces in that position, and I suspect I'll prefer it that way. Can't wait till it gets here!:bassist:

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... thanks mellowgerman , this bass is indeed sex ... hot sex .
    :ninja:

:D

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Yeah, I have it strung with TI flats, which are my favorites.

I went ahead and switched the pickup back to having the pole pieces closer to the bridge. It's a subtle difference, and I liked the increase in the thumpy low end, but I guess I am just used to the additional bite/attack from having the poles closer to the bridge. I really missed that attack, and what little I gained in low end wasn't enough to overcome the loss of attack I felt. The bass just seemed less lively. (I suck at describing sound).

It's quite possible that it's just bias from having heard it so long in the bridge pole position that I expect the bass to sound a certain way, but I'm pretty sure I just prefer the sound of the additional bite.

And yes, the Dark Star takes a light touch. On the upside, when you play it well (consistently and evenly), it sounds like a freakin' dream. TONE CITY. On the downside, if you have an aggressive touch or have sloppy technique, it will reveal all your flaws and mistakes in vivid detail. It's unforgivingly revealing. :p

Still love my Dark Star P. I'd say at least once a month I fantasize about doing a Dark Star Jazz.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021