1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk5-4f - blablas does another build diary

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Sep 29, 2013.

1. If I had too much money I wouldn't have to build these bases myself. :D

Detail pictures will come once the bass is properly set up.
    Sound files, maybe later.

2. HLnoCwx.
    Wiring and shielding is finished.

Bass has been signed and the building is finished, all that needs to be done now is setting it up and take detail pictures, and of course playing with it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Sartori likes this.
  3. Setup is done.

First pictures of the finished bass:
    kVbcgh5.
    iyzeyMv.
    Cpc6eIP.
    nYcWcua.
    UJqyCy5.
    Wrn7ZIb.

Sartori likes this.
  4. With a neutral background.
    mk5_4f.

Sartori likes this.
  5. More detail shots.
    8INeYUt.
    ax5aTv8.
    SHz2W4M.
    FY03rfp.
    PepupFy.

Sartori likes this.
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Looking good so far!! Cheers man :)

7. Replaced the two core wire with a four core one on the Sidewinder and placed and wired up a series/parallel switch, this switch gives a lot more variation in the sound possibilities and seems to have solved my problem with the muddiness.

For the time being I'm happy with the result, the muddiness is still there if want to but now there's also a setting that gives me a lot more mids.

8. Skarsoul

Skarsoul

Aug 3, 2013
    Another beautiful build! I do have a question on the bridge pieces. how do you figure out the placement of the individual bridges? I understand the spacing in between (call it east & west), it's the north south direction that has me lost.

9. Really simple actually, just pick a point where the string is supposed to go over the saddle and keep this position identical on all the single string bridge parts.

JeqPnMb.
    With the bridge for this bass I used the line that you can see crossing over all four bridge parts.

Sartori likes this.
  10. 4VVUhwB.
    The next build is starting to take shape, it will be a fretted seven string single-cut bolt-on 35 inch scale bass.
    I'll start a new topic once I've worked it out in more detail, if there is any interest in my next project.

11. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Oh.... there is interest.

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I don't mean to alarm you, but it seems as though all of your basses are built backwards. Just an observation.

Of course, they are all built with extraordinary craftsmanship and peerless attention to detail...and with lots and lots of backward.

13. Backwards.... Is just the way I like them. ;)

14. Started the next build diary here.

15. really interested to hear it dude

16. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    An SG with a volute?! If I didn't know any better I'd say you knew what you were doing ;)

All joking aside, this is a very groovy bass. The finish is, of course, stunning, but I love how you took a classic design and somehow made it both more modern and organic. Very, very well done. It shows a lot of insight and familiarity with bass history.

(But you did make it upside-down. Easy mistake, happens all the time.)

Edit: I forgot to ask - and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread - but what's the nut material?

Sartori likes this.
  17. I think I forgot to mention it, it's made out of brass.

18. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Excellent choice. I'm always torn between bone and brass. Bone sounds SO GOOD - all fat and warm - but in practice I'd rather have my open notes sound like my fretted ones.

...unless I could have bone frets and saddles, like they used to do with ivory on older acoustic guitars (although that would never work.) But I do remember a fretless alembic with an ebony nut and saddles... hmm...

Sorry, off on a tangent. Now the real question is, WHERE ARE THE SOUND SAMPLES?

19. Sorry, no sound samples (yet).

20. Just looked through your build. Fantastic. I wish I was left handed!