1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dealer: Fender Ultra to replace Elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pet Sounds, Sep 19, 2019.

1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    no problem :-D

2. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    hmmm nice basses...well I'm big Fender fun but I don't understand that underpickguard pickup routing. Becouse is for put trough wires more easy? Same on Custom Classic (Custom Shop). I'm not sure I like that huge bridge well hard to say...

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Another reason for me to stick with my Elite . My Jazz V weighs 9.2 lbs

4. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Well, Fender, after all the marketing hype and you missed the marketing line for this "feature"??? Come on guys. Here you go: our new weight augmentation adds girth and balls to your tone.

mmbongo likes this.
  5. Wow !!!
    This is unacceptable!! My Elite Jazz V weighs
    8.4lbs !! Well l guess l’m lucky

6. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I don't get why they didn't "stop" with the Deluxes (pre-Elites). I thought the action on the former was waaaaay better than the Elites, and the necks were more consistently flat. I especially thought that the ash ones really crushed. Now, Fender makes a move away from the Elite. Granted, losing the truss wheel does suck, but perhaps the traditional heel-entry rod works better for their necks. Besides, even though not as easy as a wheel, how hard is it to stick an Allen wrench, or easier, T-bar, into the adjustment cavity? It's a breeze...just don't lose the wrench!

maeda likes this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I don't see much difference with the Elite serie. I love the Elite jazz bass. Not sure if the Ultra will be much better.

Good news might be that the Elites are getting cheaper.

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    So... this or a Sadowsky? Tough one! ;)

9. maeda

maeda

Oct 8, 2015
    Queens, NY
    the clips of the J sound like a Sadowsky. I have no need for another bass but these seem to be really, really nice

10. gguillo

gguillo Supporting Member

Can't wait for the 'ultra-double-secret-probation' series to be released.

songwriter21 likes this.
  11. gguillo

gguillo Supporting Member

Sadowsky. It's still by far the most superior bass I own... However, these look really great & the videos I've seen of them are really nice! I really like the new color styles - very vintage.

maeda likes this.
  12. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    SoCal
    Get a wider strap, hike up your skirt, and press on. :bassist:

Quadzilla and maeda like this.
  13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

LoL, agree!!!! I have a 4" wide Moody strap that made seemingly "heavy" basses, feel light. Game changer!

Auspuff likes this.
  14. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    SoCal
    True, that!

Quad, love that Redd Foxx avatar!

Quadzilla likes this.
  15. Quadzilla

Thank you sir! :)

16. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    "...that looks AND sounds incredible." :laugh::meh:

First off, sound/tone differences among these varied models is pretty marginal, really (ESPECIALLY to a crowd, if at all), and the looks??? Basically every J-Bass looks the same!! :rollno:

Fancy marketing is alive and well, via the corporate bean counters at McDonal...I mean Fender. Burger King, I mean Gibson, now needs their 30,538 variation of the best Les Paul ever.

18. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    Is the compound neck still a thing with the Ultra?
    Maybe their trying to force us to accept the trend towards heavier basses. The hottest players will then be forced to put window weights in their basses so they can say their have the strength to wield the 25 pound bass.

19. Quadzilla

One already on Reverb...

Screenshot_20191105-184805.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  20. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    But there were still FSRs, and Highway 1s, and.....and.....

I'm lost these days. From Squier Affinity to Fender Custom shop you have about twenty stops along the way - each adding $50-$100 or more.