1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean....any love for their basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DVJENS, Apr 22, 2015.

1. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Well, I am completely happy with my stable of basses at the moment which, of course, means it is time to get started researching my next purchase. It is gonna happen...why deny it. I just accept it for what it is by this point!

I was watching a video on Youtube of a well-known shredder and his bass player caught my eye. Seems like he is the CEO of Dean guitars. Really excellent player as well. I really liked his tone. So I got to researching his company. Honestly, I have always known Dean makes basses, but always thought they were sort've on the lower end of the quality and performance spectrum. So, sort've overlooked them. But man, started going through their website and there were some really, really awesome looking selections on their catolog. The Juggernaut and Paramount (J and P bass styles) really caught my eye....as did the Eric Bass sig model. Really nice looking instruments. Priced in the mid-range category but with some really nice specs and just looked top-notch. I noticed that most of the players that endorse Dean are metal guys it seems, but like Eric Bass and Shinedown and just kind've caught my attention. His sig model looks incredible.

Not a lot of info on here about Dean. Doesn't get much notice. Any particular love and/or hate for their stuff? In general what is the consensus of their bass selections. I honestly have never seen one...except one time a cheap one hanging in the used section of a GC store. Just curious what everyone thought about them.

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    You know, I got one of the "cheaper" models in a trade a few years ago, ( think $150.00), with the intention of a quick flip to break even. It was a sunburst, passive, 2 pickup model that I ended up gigging with that whole summer.

Great inexpensive bass with punchy tone. I finally gave it up in another trade.

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    The only Dean I have had was one of their EAB acoustic basses. Nice bass, well made and sounded good but for all intents and purposes it was useless in an ensemble setting without some kind of amplification. I eventually sold it.

10665846_766435926809639_26416730420702795_n.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've had a handful of Dean basses previously. They were inexpensive and make ideal mod platforms. Pickups and electronics needed replacing though to make them viable instruments imo- not a bad instrument to start of with. I haven't tried the Hillsboro model though, perhaps it has better electronics and a better player.
    I have to admit, the thought of Neon Pink (and later a green one) instruments was very intriguing, so I had to buy it..lol! With a pickup change, these make for a decent but awfully bright player. Perfect for an 80s retro band!
    Screen shot 2015-04-22 at 11.27.17 AM.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    hintz likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've got three Deans. Two cheapies and one mid-price. They're good quality considering the price point.

I really want one of the obnoxious neon P basses. I would use it to annoy the hell out of people.

baceface, Maxdusty and shawshank72 like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The first bass I was playing after getting back into music was the one on the left, followed shortly by the one on the right.
    10o470n.
    The one on the left is the replacement for my old Dean acoustic.
    155o41y.
    If I ever saw this one for sale I'd buy it on the spot.
    2lmnbjp.

I really like the Eric Bass in white, too, and want a black or blue Exotica.

7. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Loved my dean edge, it was a step up when I was first playing. Neck was comfy. Hardware was solid. Overall id buy again in a pinch

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The pink is the more obnoxious option of the Custom Zone basses I had, I also had a green one. There's a yellow one that I imagine would have the potential to blind the first five rows of the audience.

9. ^ Are they still making the Zone line? I'd like to see Geddy rockin' one ... :laugh:

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    As far as I know, yes as they're still selling them on Amazon.
    This is probably the best place to buy any Dean basses as they're not often stocked at GC stores. They often have used Hillsboro basses there too.

In fact there's a used pink one there for $129....hmm....drop in some SD Quarterpound pickups and you'll have a lean, mean , pink machine!
    Amazon.com: Dean Custom Zone Bass, Flourecent Pink: Musical Instruments

This one is the one I would love to try though. With EMG-Hz pickups. Entwistle bass.
    Screen shot 2015-04-22 at 1.23.51 PM.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  11. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    And didn't Jeff Berlin have a Dean signature bass line for awhile? Jim

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    They still make them.
    Jeff Berlin Bass Basic- JBB

13. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    For those interested...do a Youtube search for Michael Angelo Batio and 8 Pillars of Steel. There is a video of him playing as part of a trio (don't care too much to listen to him) but I think his bassist (who is also the owner of Dean Guitars) is playing that Entwistle bass. Good player and love the tone.

Still, that Eric Bass model is calling me! There is a video on their website...he states that the bass you buy is the exact one he plays....no mods whatsoever.

Maxdusty likes this.
  14. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    There's a neon green dean bass at the GC in peoria az. In case youre into that.

Gaolee likes this.
  15. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    I loved my Dean until the headstock broke off. (I have no idea how it happened and no one in the house will fess up to it)

I bought a Dean Edge One Fretless back in 1999 in Florida, and I absolutely loved it. It was under two hundred dollars, came with EMG pickups, and had a fantastic sound.

I tried to fix it unsuccessfully, and now all it's good for is practicing your finger placement on a fretless neck or looking pretty hanging from a wall.

16. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I love my screaming pink Zone and just wish it came in a 5-string version.

17. I owned a couple of the Edge 4 and 5 strings at one time.
    Nice basses for the money.
    And while we're at it- is it my imagination, or has the John Entwistle Signature Series disappeared from Dean's Website?
    Anybody know why?

18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It's still there. Under Custom Guitars.
    Custom Guitars | Made in the USA - Dean Guitars

rickwebb likes this.
  19. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I have a Dean Sledgehammer 5. I think they were only produced for a year or two, 35" scale and either ash/maple or mahogany/mahogany with ebony fb for body/neck choices.
    They came with a single bridge MM style pickup, but I added a 2nd one to mine and added coil tapping switches which allow for north or south coil choices independent of each other.
    DSC_1998.

I had a 2nd one for a few months and added a J-neck pickup, but sold that one here on TB in 2011.
    (The two of them on left and right of photo)
    DSC_2064.

basslifter and Dec1975 like this.
  20. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    My Edge fretless was my gateway drug to my other fretless basses. I still pick up the Edge often since I leave it out on a stand in the living room. Great value in the Dean line.

(My first new bass was my Edge 6-string (frets). Pretty good bass.)