Deep Impact !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Deep Impact

Check it out :)

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've been following that story for a long time, waiting for today. Very cool stuff. :cool: One of the later articles I've read about the maneuver described it as a "a bullet shooting out of a bullet and colliding with another bullet". Those NASA eggheads are something else.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Never underestimate the power of an egghead. :)

We've got one in the NIO right now, who's probably one of the most brilliant people that ever lived.

If a bit of an evil genius. :D

If only he could apply his talents to space travel, we'd really have something going.

"Genius is the most effective weapon" - Ben Franklin

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was really happy to see NASA pull off that mission. Although I am in the humanities, as a academic by trade I'm always happy to see knowledge being pushed forward.
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I was kind of hoping you'd be able to see it with the naked eye soon after impact but I forgot all about it. Very cool, nonetheless.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't think it was possible to watch it with the naked eye. A small telescope could have helped, but the comet is in the south-west just above the horizon, so if you live in the city, the chance is pretty big that the skyline is blocking your view (not to mention the light pollution).

Let's hope they don't loose half of the data stream this time...
  7. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    very cool stuff. i heard someone on the news say it's fundamental science in that it's like cracking a rock in half to see what's inside.

quite a testament to calculation and precision

8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    When the news about the experiment/even started to be brought up this week or so-it's really intrigued me. I think it'll be nice to hear what they [NASA] has to say about it. That's all
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If anyone has any links to video clips and the like, PLEASE post them.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Impact Video

Here you go, all Nasa credits ofcourse.

I haven't found the missile-style video yet, but as soon as I find it, I'll post it here.
  11. Reports indicated that the impact was compared to ane(11ft)washing machine flying into part of Manhattan.
    The craft had a rather small window of time to accomplish it's task(s) before the expelled matter came crashing back down spelling it's doom.

Scientific American should have some good writeups on it....their website usually has some of the best pics as well.
  12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    No one did this allready ??? :eyebrow:

"The Deep Impact is the best bass synth ever !! "

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland 23000 mph. I have yet to see an 11ft washing machine flying at any speed, never mind ultrasonic speeds.
  14. 1) Typical. Obviously these NASA guys can't even hook up a washing machine right. All schoolbook knowledge, no practical skills. Must have hooked the machine up to 220V by mistake.

2) These NASA guys really ought to watch what they say. Don't give the terrorists an idea for another 9/11. Unless they're washing with hot water, infrared missles would be powerless to shoot the washing machines down. If they develop stealth washing machine technology, the radar guided missiles will be useless as well. Then Manhattan would be defenseless against washing machines.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Does anyone know if the impact changed the course of the comet? If so, this approach could be used if a comet/asteroid is on it's way to collide with the earth.
  16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    glad to hear that they pulled it off... not an easy feat at all.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Randy, you're an amusing dude.

You should go start a consulting company with the chick from this thread....

18. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i was lucky enough to support some of the scientists on this mission until i left that job. i left on good terms with them all, and i have requested lots of videos and pics. so if i ever get them i'll add them here.
  19. Even though this is being spearheaded by the the Pasadena, California guys, everyone here over at the Houston NASA crew are pretty excited about this stuff.

Very cool.
  20. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Hate to rain on everyone's parade

Astrologist sues NASA over comet crash

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian astrologist who says NASA has altered her horoscope by crashing a spacecraft into a comet is suing the U.S. space agency for damages of $300 million, local media reported Monday.

NASA deliberately crashed its probe, named Deep Impact, into the Tempel 1 comet to unleash a spray of material formed billions of years ago which scientists hope will shed new light on the composition of the solar system.

"It is obvious that elements of the comet's orbit, and correspondingly the ephemeris, will change after the explosion, which interferes with my astrology work and distorts my horoscope," Izvestia daily quoted astrologist Marina Bai as saying in legal documents submitted before Monday's collision.

A spokeswoman for a Moscow district court said initial preparations for the case were underway but could not say when the hearing would begin. NASA representatives in Moscow were unavailable for comment.