1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Delay discussion.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheFix, Dec 12, 2011.

1. TheFix

TheFix

Feb 2, 2011
    Paramus, NJ
    I was offered a Maxon analog delay AD80 for 150-ish(goes for 275), and I got to thinking what are a bassists preferred names for delay or reverb pedals.

I really dig this pedal, but I am not an experienced pedal hunter as my friends. Just looking for some guidance or names to look out for!

Only things I own pedal-wise are a Pitchblack and a bass big muff that has a hard time finding its way into my bands live set.

Thanks!

2. I would like to join this conversation... I play mainly bass but for homerecording purposes I still have guitar. So I look for gear that would fit both.

I recently tried couple Delays:

Boss DD-3 (MIJ), DD-7, RE-20,
    EHX Memory Boy (regular version),
    Line 6 DL 4
    and I also have one very vintage Polish guy called Kotwicki built digital rack unit.

My impressions:

1) EHX Memory Boy - when I was doing research online I fall in love with analogue sound of delays. When you listen to our band, Tale of Diffusion, the piece called "Melody Man", at the end there is great solo of our guitarist recorded on high overdrive & our vintage polish delay that we were modulating the time of delay with knob while he was recording. I wanted to had that option in my pedal so I was looking for something you can use expression pedal instead of hand.
    Memory boy has great modulations, expression pedal option, so I went for it.
    Unfortunatelly it did not sound that good with bass that I expected & with longer delay times it was getting little bit distorted feedback sound which really annoyed me.
    Also the expresion pedal trick was not working as I expected. Finally I was looking for longer times than Memory Boy had...
    I end up selling it.

2) DD-3 - first delay pedal I tried with Bass. I loved it. It is very good sounding pedal for both guitar & bass. It has some decent delay time to, so you can get to longer delays & short ones too. No feedback distortion. Very rythmic.
    The things that was missing was not the sound but the options: tap tempo & expression pedal.

So I got DD-7

3) DD-7 combined the anologue sound (in analogue mode) with little of modulations & digital clean repeats. Also had expresion pedal option, hold mode, tap tempo. All I needed. Sounded great. But...

4) When you start checking pedals you always come to conclusion you want more options, more modes, better quality... So I end up thinking it would be nice to have more options using more presets in delays. So I bought Line 6 DL4. Which in fact won my heart among others. It sounds great (bass & guitar), have all options I wanted & can store more presets & record 14 sec loop.

Disclaimer: still the expression pedal use for adjusting delay time on the go is tricky part of my experiences. Polish digital delay that hushes, hums and makes all the unnecessary noises works best...

3. If you want to maximize your dollar, I'd go the Line 6 route with either the DL4 or the Echo Park.

Pros (both):
    *Huge Variety of Delay types
    *Awesome Auto Volume Swell Feature
    *Conservatively priced (on the used market)
    *Built-in Tap Tempo

My main gripes between the two is you can't get the same auto-volume ramp up on the DL4 as comes preset on the Echo Park. For what ever reason, they just sound different. Additionally, with the Echo Park, there's a 3-way digital, tape, analog switch so you can voice any delay type in those ways and there's a trails switch. There aren't these features on the DL4. With the DL4, you're stuck with which ever ones they decided should be tape, digital, or analog. An oversight in my book.

4. TheFix

TheFix

Feb 2, 2011
    Paramus, NJ
    Ive fooled around with DL4s and I borrow a DD3 in my post rock band that calls for it. I like both but the dl4 is bulky but it has the most bang.

Im thinking of checking out that echopark.

Does anyone know about this Maxon? They are hard to find, and turned into the ibanez AD80. Im digging this pink box, and the price is decent from a friend. Is it stable? No one I know has bothered with maxon. Im at a standstill.

5. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    I too was looking for a delay for my bass. I was kinda familiar with the line 6 dl4 (my friend/old guitarist had has one) but I felt it was too big for my pedal board plus the odd voltage on it kind went against my power supply. I ended up with the TC Flashback. It`s small,has a lot of settings,can have trails on or off and has a looper. I like it but since getting it I haven`t put a ton of time into it. But it satisfies my needs so I`m set.

6. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread. I'll second the echo park opinion as a good, cheap, versatile option for you. I play bass and 6-string guitar, so like another user mentioned I evaluate my delays based on how well they work with both. The Echo Park is one of the most surprisingly well-rounded delays you can buy. I've found the AD80 to be wonderful with guitar but not so much with bass. Quite honestly, I think the Maxon/Ibanez analog delays, and all true analog delays for that matter, are a little too dark and murky for the bass guitar. Unless you plan on selling it back to make a little bit of profit, I think you may be better off just passing on it.

I think you may be better served with a unit that has the option of a clean digital delay sound. The repeats will cut through the mix much better than an analog delay would. I personally use a DD-5 w/ tap switch for my rhythmic delay sounds and an El Capistan for dirtier/smeary tones. It is possible to tweak the El Cap to get very clean repeats, but it's easier for me to have a digital delay dedicated to the task.

FWIW, here's a video I put together of the El Capistan set to a fairly clean, digital-esque sound. Ambient Bass Guitar - El Capistan and Neunaber Stereo Wet Demo - YouTube

7. The DL4 doesn't have an odd voltage. It runs off a 9v Power supply just as any other pedal does. You simply need an adapter to go from a larger barrel size (coming off the DL4) to go to a regular adapter barrel size. Nothing more than a $5 quick and easy fix. I run mine off a 1 Spot with 6 other pedals just fine.

8. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i have a dl4 and it is awesome. i use the looper alot, and have presets 1. digital 2. sweep 3. swell. I really dig the swell.

Also own a MXR carbon copy which is a more subtle delay i find, especially on bass. but it is really cool for knob tweaking for out there sounds and noise.

wud not sell either of them.

9. Leo thechampion

Leo thechampion

Nov 2, 2011
    I have been experimenting with my old 1970's analog delays.I have formed the opinion analog delay doesn't work on bass as well as guitar. For me ears if you want delay it has to be digital. Preferably with tap tempo. Good luck

10. I ended up getting the Boss DD-7. A good basic clean digital delay, tap tempo (essential, as far as I'm concerned), fairly decent analogue simulation for live use, plenty of delay time, a practical live looper, and being a Boss it's as close to bomb-proof as you're gonna get.

Plus it takes up a sensibly small area of stage real-estate. This is what I don't really dig about the DL4 - I know I'm obsessive about it to the point of stupidity, but I just don't like a lot of stuff taking up room on the floor. Probably comes from my younger days trying to squeeze a 4 piece band onto a stage slightly bigger than a pool-table...

11. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    good points above..
    the DD-7 is a great pedal.. i used to have one. always regretted selling it.

leo is right about analog.. but i still find it fun to mess around with. i quite like the sound of it when playing higher up on the fretboard.

12. i have the same presets on my DL4! :hyper:

13. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    :bassist:

do u get much chance to use in ur band??
    will make sure i have a listen when i get a chance.
    i actually prefer using the swell on dl4 than a volume pedal/delay.

14. yes, i do actually. I use delay pretty heavily in a couple of our songs and the swell paired with my micro pog to create some moody vibes.

i have never had much luck using a volume pedal. i also like knowing exactly how it's going to ramp up and having that consistency.

15. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I'm an effect whore on a tight budget, and I absolutely LOVE my DL8.

16. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    ive been looking at micro pogs recently... not sure if i can justify getting one when i have a whammy tho. just found u guys on facebook. checking out nw.

back on topic... DL4 !!!!!:D

EDIT: FB page liked.

17. Thank you, thank you :)
    For what it's worth, I didn't use as much delay on the album as I do live.

Aside from the DL4/Echo Park route. I'd say that the TC Electronics Flashback looks VERY promising. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard nothing but very good things.

Also, if you're looking to splurge, anything Empress, Eventide, or Strymon is mint.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    My experience-

Boss DD6: Very digital sounding, clean replication.

MXR Carbon Copy: Analog sounding, more organic/dark/forgiving, has a button that adds even more subtle light chorusyness (not sure what it actually does).

I like the Boss for longer delays, the MXR is superior for shorter echo/verby type delays.

19. There is one more thing that is in "plus" for DD-7... (As far as I remember). when you turn the pedal off the delay is still sounding... And on DL4 you have this sudden delay sound cut effect...

Or maybe I suck in setting up presets?

20. To the OP: Do you like the Maxon? I'm pretty sure you said you did... I don't know anything about this particular pedal but you say it sells for 275 and you can get it for 150? Hmm... Maxon makes nice stuff. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You like it. You can get it cheaper than it commonly sells for. If you end up not liking you can sell it for a profit or trade it in on something at a shop. That is all.