1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The only bit of Nolly's playing I've heard was a short bit of video shot with a camera on his bass and I wasn't even paying attention to his tone. I did buy one of his two-pickup signature basses (lightly used) because I'd tried one at a guitar show a couple of years ago. It's turned into a better bargain than I realized at first because with it in hand, I feel no need to go 3X. The 'voicing' I use is the neck pickup, which would be the middle on a 3X. I don't need the 'jazz bass' setting as I have a SJ5 for that. I'm sure the 'all three on' possible with Dbird switching is awesome, but probably over the top for my needs. The best way to describe the tone and feel I get soloing the neck pickup is a big precision with an edgy attitude. Bump that high-mid control up a bit and look out! There is no mix that can bury this beast. :cool: I did venture in to the control cavity and wired both pickups to be series (essential for me). The next step was putting FDV pickups in, which isn't really necessary to get good tone from these basses, but I have a 'thing' for AlNico-powered pickups. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    The_Owl, MDBass and Larchi like this.
  2. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Even though I think the 3 pickups look a bit extreme. On the black one it doesn't stand out as much. The three pickups all together, sound pretty beefy, and it only has a little of the bridge pickup coming through, so I might prefer that, compared to the middle. I suppose I'll find out in January. I have heard a little of the neck pickup, on the 2 pickup Combustions and ABZs, and of course they sound pretty awesome too.
    Unfortunately my instrument will be rent/buy for a few years, so doing any mods to it before it's mine is probably bad karma. I would be interested to know why you would need a bass sound with edgy attitude in a Praise situation ;) Mine will be used for Metal baby!!!:bassist:

3. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Oh, it's completely ironic that I use the signature instrument of a metal bassist, but it works. In my use, edge = cut. For lack of a better term, more 'present' than a typical precision tone, if that makes any sense...

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The most common basses in modern praise music, at least for CCM, are P basses: often played with a pick.

Larchi and johnsonabq like this.
  5. You really make me wanna splurge on an NG2-4...

I don't need it, really, but I want it. So bad.

Larchi likes this.
  6. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Sorry, but I have earned my reputation for enflaming DAS. :rollno: I didn't 'need' one either, but I sure am enjoying it! When in doubt, ponder the wise words of @tombowlus - "Life is too short to play crappy gear.".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM
  7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Forgive me Father Sheldon, for I’m about to sin...

Cheap Dingwall isn’t gonna happen in time, so this weekend I’m going to meet a guy to buy an Ibanez SRFF805.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Oh Jacob.

We're not angry, just disappointed.

9. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Played one. Wasn't impressed at all. Ergonomics were off, even though change in scale length is less than a Dingwall and had less effect on tone.

10. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Yup. I’d rather buy a parallel fret Ibanez. I’ve played some nice ones but they don’t do the FF well.

S-Bigbottom and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  11. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    bjdkn.

BuffaloBob4343 and Lowendtech like this.
  12. TheEmptyCell

It’s far from ideal to me, too, but when I tried one before it was fine. The parallel fret BTBs (the only basses they do with 35” scale) are all incredibly heavy in my experience and the Bartolini MK1 pickups and electronics depress me.

At least this way I’ll have something with a better B than a regular SR.

It’s all a series of compromises. String spacing or weight or scale length or electronics or quality.... can only get a couple of the things I want on my limited budget.

I’ll re-evaluate later when I’ve got a more permanent place to stay out in LA, but you can all rest assured that I was never gonna bring my SP or ABZ with me to the hostel I’ll be spending my next few weeks at.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I played a BTB at Gorham Bros. yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised with how utterly 5#!tty it was.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Need to borrow my Steinberger 5?

reddavid likes this.
  15. TheEmptyCell

I was there yesterday playing that exact same bass. That is eerie.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I suggest not buying it. I was really just playing it so I could see how annoying their Rainbow Machine could get.

17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Look for a Cirrus.

Most undervalued long scale, active, basses. A Mississippi Alembic!

18. TheEmptyCell

Kind offer but I’d be even more paranoid bringing someone else’s bass to Los Angeles, plus the gigs I do have occasionally tune to drop A.
    I actually liked the BTB5 I owned years ago, but it had Ibanez’ own branded pickups and electronics.
    Great, great basses but even used they’re above my price range ever since they were discontinued. Kind of like Dingwall, the market slowly caught on and now they catch fair prices in the used market.

Honestly, come January I may decide to sell my beloved Peavey T40 with a pair of matching serial number fretted and fretless necks. They’d fetch a hefty price now that everyone knows the glory of the T40. And with a matching SN, factory-fretless neck included? I’m guessing I’d have a handsome amount available after that sale to put toward a used Combustion.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    if I hadn't sent that Combustion to get de-boned I'd have lent that to you.

TheEmptyCell and Lowendtech like this.
  20. Wondered what I was doing wrong.

Bassheart365 and reddavid like this.