1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    All this talk of cosmetics. I want Bootsy Collins to sign with Dingwall so I can have a multiscale Bootsy-star bass. No swirls though. Just stars. And glitter. Is that too much to ask?

bootsy2.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    dazmond, GregC, Ikkir and 3 others like this.
  2. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Fun OT article: Bootsy Collins: Bass from Outer Space | Premier Guitar

GregC, Bo0tsy, Larchi and 1 other person like this.
  3. That looks like Whalepoolburst.

4. Beware of DAS!! Dingwall Acquisition Syndrome can be powerful.

KidSmash92 likes this.
  5. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Nope, not a typo.

The idea behind setting the shelving corner frequency that high was to be able to boost through the full range without introducing harshness: studio EQ’s frequently call that kind of treble shelf an “air” control.

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Also, keep in mind that the center point of the frequency is just that, the center point measured at some point in the boost/cut graph. As you boost / cut, that frequency actually changes, too. Often, by an octave or more.

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  7. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Huh, cool! #themoreyouknow

MDBass likes this.
  8. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Wow, cool - that is brilliant! That explains why it works the way it does!
    Exactly as you said, it magically boosts the high end without introducing harshness, unlike certain other preamps I have on various other non-Dingwall basses, on which the treble control could more accurately be called a "pain" control, because turning it up too much just causes pain. :)

BuffaloBob4343 and MDBass like this.
  9. KidSmash92

KidSmash92

Apr 13, 2018
    Apparently not.
    The d-bird :
    1 - bridge soloed
    2 - bridge and middle in parallel
    3 - middle pickup soloed
    4 - all 3pups together (Bridge and middle in parallel in series with neck).

The Dingwall 3x pickup rotator is
    1 - bridge soloed
    2 - bridge and middle in series
    3 - bridge and neck in parallel
    4 - neck soloed

10. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    You're correct in stating that, however the Combustion 3X is shipped with the D-bird style wiring installed, not the standard 3X wiring setup on the Canadian models.

There's a few Combustion owners who are looking at changing their wiring to the second option you've stated though (and I'm going to think about it, whenever mine arrives). On paper, I prefer the second option, but I figure Dingwall have wired it this way for a reason, so I'll give it a try and let my ears decide.

11. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I plan to build the super 6-way switch I drew above with the stewmac switch and see if I can fit it into the cavity of m NG3 so i get all the cool options.

B>

djaxup and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  12. KidSmash92

KidSmash92

Apr 13, 2018
    OK thanks for the input. Could I trouble Sheldon Dingwall to confirm this? The bass direct team, when asked, told me it was with the 3X wiring. Thanks!

13. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    You can just take the cavity cover off and look at the circuit board holding the 4-way switch. It will either say "3X" or "DB" right on the circuit board:
    4Way_3X. 4Way_DBird.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  14. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    A few NAMM basses has 3x but they’ve been dbird since including upgrade kits.

KidSmash92 likes this.
  15. KidSmash92

KidSmash92

Apr 13, 2018
    Many thanks, I'll check it out!

16. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Hmm, now I think I'm confused, so my NG3-6 will arrive with the D-bird setup?

17. KidSmash92

KidSmash92

Apr 13, 2018
    So it seems. I'll check mine and post if it's a 3x or a d-bird circuit.

18. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    I was led to believe the NG3s were setup the same as the D-bird: Like this diagram Labeled - "NG3Control layout"
    which I got off the site.

Attached Files:

19. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    This is my understanding too, yep

20. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Ha! 3 pickups but only 4 positions either way - I really just want the middle, so I would be happy with the D-bird setup. But I only got to try a Ng2 in the shop. I would assume the neck pickup solo would have even more of a "Pbass" sound. I'm just wondering what I'll have to play with straight away.
    Here's a video that shows pretty clearly what the different Pickup configs sound like on the NG3:

I'm gonna get mine rewired anyway: So i have neck, middle, neck and middle, and all 3. I just don't really like the bridge pickup sound by itself.
    I have watched nearly every Dingwall video on YT, and everyone seems to have the exact same NG2/3 sound!!! Which makes it sound like an effing Jazz bass (please, no more!).
    What's funny is I'm getting a Signature Nolly bass, but I hate his bass sound! Hahahhaa....