1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Hey! Are you doing that comparo you were talking about on Instagram?

You got my NG-3/5's big brother! Nice bass! I really dig the black/maple contrast. Congrats!

I feel ya'. I've had basses delivered on Friday afternoon and gigged them that night. I also agree with the "no point in waiting" mantra. Having said that, I might be in the same camp as Larchi. Although I've messed around on a few 6ers, I've never had one to call my own and really get comfortable with. Since one of my incoming ABZs is a 6/3, I'll have that chance, but I may not be able to gig it straight away, we shall see...

OTOH, I've met me. If my 6/3 shows up on a Friday afternoon, I'll probably take it to the gig that night. I may not play it, but it'll be there.

Who am I kidding?! I'll end up playing it. It may only be for one song, LOL, but I will not be able to resist that temptation...bahahaha!

NaH, BurningSkies and Larchi like this.
  2. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    aha, this helps. i (as most of us I would guess did) cut my chops on guitar before i became a bass player. Makes sense! thank you.

Larchi likes this.
  3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Not a bet I'd take lol. Though small, I run the PacNW bass convention and overwhelmingly, in that community, bassists started as bassists, not reformed guitarists.

Larchi and pbass6811 like this.
  4. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Ok, got an issue now, position 1 on my D-Bird is practically dead. I'm getting almost no output from the bridge pickup solo'd. I, pretty much, just run position 4(all pups on)live, and it sounds great. Every other position sounds great, but that one. I haven't opened the control cavity to see what's up. Sorta bummed, but since I never used pos.1, it's not that big of a deal. I guess I need to find a new tech...

5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Open it up and have a look, it not like the magic will fall out.

Half the time I find some simple fix. Wiggle some wires and listen for crackling or intermittent signal.

I’d be looking hard at the switch.

pbass6811 likes this.
  6. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Even if it does fall out, I could just shove it back in there, LOL! I agree with the switch assessment, since the other 3 positions, 2 of which include the bridge pup, all sound fantastic.

The problem would be if it requires soldering, I'd need to learn how to do it(which I, obviously, need to learn how to solder anyways).

Another option is to just leave it, since I never use that setting anyway. Honestly, I have no use for just the bridge pup anyway, so it's not hurting my live sound or even my recordings.

I'll fix it.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I bet your 'all on setting' is just two pickups sounding great and not all three. ;)

Yep. Check the wiring at the switch and see if it's looking solid. IIRC that pickup is wired internally in series, so check over the place where the green/black wires connect too. Beyond that I'd use a multimeter to see if you've got a coil or both dead if the first two things don't give you relief.

pbass6811 and Waltsdog like this.
  8. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Open the back and take a look at the selector switch, the connections are all by screw, check to make sure they are all in place. You may have had a wire come loose. It's a passive bass so there isn't much to it but if you don't see anything obvious take it to a tech.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I wire bridge pickups in series, which gives them a extra boost. It’s easy, since your going to practice your soldering. You’ll just disconnect two of the four wires from the bridge pup and join them together, insulate with a piece of shrink wrap.

For that burpy, tight jazz sound the bridge pup solo is nice, but it will still need a volume boost.

The interesting stuff happens with the bridge and other pup in parallel. It’s less wide and loud than other positions, but nicely focused and clean.

Good luck!

10. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    The D-Bird bridge is already in series.

singlemalt likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've come to appreciate and use the bridge (series) in series with the middle. I use that on my NG-3 nearly all the time, live. I do default to bridge/neck parallel when I record though. All my Dingwalls have the pickup coils in series except for the Rastaburst, which has switches for the pickups.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would expect a few hundred go out the door each year. I think Dingwall does about 1500 instruments a year with 200~ being Canadian. The NG and the Combustion line have exponentially increased their sales numbers.

Larchi and Iv@N like this.
  13. BassikBrad

BassikBrad IndigoBurst Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Funny you should mention EMG 40HZ pups. There's a local bass player with a Shecter Stiletto Studio,
    that sounds amazing & it has those 40 HZ pups. So it's now on my GAS list.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  14. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    This is dingwall land! Those are regular and high tuning. Low tuning is F#-B-E-A-D-G!

djaxup, EMoneySC2, Flabzilla and 2 others like this.
  15. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

Correction accepted. :) You are right. B is "Standard" F# is Dingwall land!

C# is crazyness!

Larchi and TolerancEJ like this.
  16. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I fixed it. :whistle::eyebrow:

I opened it up and did my best "I know what I'm doin'" impression. I got my flashlight, moved some wires around, turned some screws, twisted some wires, put it all back together, and VIOLA'! I get sound out of all 4 positions. It was touch and go there for a second, but I pulled it off...

If anyone needs any tech work done, I'll help you look for somebody...:D:roflmao::roflmao::D

17. Yeh.

18. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Torzal has fanned fret options now and they have custom string spacing.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  19. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    So am I a reformed keyboardist?

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That many? Wow! I was under the impression that the Combustion and NG lines were more in the 300 - 500 range and the Canadian models being significantly less.