1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    You can check on this with serial numbers., but perhaps Sheldon could give us some guidance.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    That's not how exponnents work lol

BurningSkies likes this.
  3. BassikBrad

BassikBrad IndigoBurst Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Phew, I'll be able to sleep tonight !

pbass6811 likes this.
  4. rulefuzz

rulefuzz Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Hong Kong
    yeah I'm doing a full-blown video on YouTube later maybe by the end of the month or early June

BuffaloBob4343 and pbass6811 like this.
  5. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    So - I'm assuming that the Sklar 3x's have three Super Fatty 2 pickups?

6. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Have a look inside to make sure the switch prong isn't pinching a wire against the body or that the prong itself isn't contacting the body.

7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Agreed. I'm the bassist who wishes I started on guitar...

I was gonna call you and let you know you could exhale, but I got busy playing. My bad...:D

Sweet! Interested in hearing your thoughts.

I did open it up, but I had some other, intricate, tech work I had to do while I was in there. It was very delicate work...

If you need someone at the shop that just pretends like they know what they're doing, hit me up, I'm your guy...BAHAHAHA!

8. rulefuzz

rulefuzz Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Thanks hopefully it'll be useful to you

pbass6811 likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sheldon explained that Dingwall was now number two manufacturer in Canada, behind Godin, at the last promo event I went to (for the D-Bird.) He only specified the number of units and how many were Canadian. I could be wrong on my estimates though, it has been a little bit. I would also imagine the number has increased with the increased production capacity.

Do you mean exponents? I am not sure what you are trying to say with this comment. The introduction of the cheaper import lines did exponentially increase Dingwalls overall sales numbers. They sold a fraction of the instruments prior to their roll-out.

10. Applejacks

Applejacks Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve got two sets on the way. Looking forward to giving them a try.

pbass6811 and AB Nate like this.
  11. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Anyone here put a string tree on their AB? Getting an open string rattle on my E and A that goes away if I hold the strings behind the nut. Thinking about putting a Super series tree on it but don’t know if there’s any physics I should consider first or if it’s safe to just pop one on where it makes sense.

12. Did you cut them to length before installation?

DR's are round core and if you do not kink them before cutting them the wrap will slide from the core resulting in them sounding like dead flats. Read the inside of your DR Strings box for more information.

Iv@N and Peter Lufrano like this.
  13. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Worn nut perhaps? Try the shrink tube trick first which could help determine if the funds are better placed in a new nut vs the tree that may not fit very well.

Waltsdog likes this.
  14. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Nate! The nut looks good though. Could be the thinner gauge of the SS custom set combined with tuning to Eb.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I think a Super Series style string tree would look a little weird. If I were to do it, I might be more inclined to go with a bar type of thing like the Combustions or Laklands. Or maybe one of the newer NG things.

16. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Probably. I know with the flats I put on my fretless I have a small buzz to deal with on my A as well. I just haven’t had the chance to even deal with it yet. I’ll be shrink tubing it soon.

17. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Are you making sure to get a few wraps of the string around the tuner post. The will increase the angle of the string after the nut. Just a thought. ;)

BrBss, BurningSkies and Applejacks like this.
  18. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    1AE3F3F9-1839-4217-ADB4-5662FEDDC513. Test fitting 1st new Pickguard for my SJ5 conversion

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That's gonna look sweet. :)

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  20. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Yeah you cant really get a few wraps on the ABs though, they're different than the super series or z series. They've got countersunk tuning machines with a scalloped post designed to hold the single wrap at a low angle. Sheldon has definitely put some serious engineering into remediating this issue without string trees, but it's still there. It was sort of a common issue on my super series basses with the a string too but I never really worried about it cause it doesn't come through the amp. It's just been bothering me a bit playing unplugged and a little bit more break angle closer to the nut would definitely solve the problem.