1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the clarification, and may I say that is a VERY sharp bass.

djaxup likes this.
  2. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Well i went there today. Unfortunately you cannot plek a multi scale instrument at this point. The plek machine just got an update last week to analyse multi scale instrument, but it can't do any fret levelling. At least not right now. Maybe the update to do it might come out at some point.

It's pretty cool for parallel fretted instruments, though

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I really don’t have any issues past the nut like you describe. I would be interested in a picture of you hand position.

Keep in mind...my initial comments about upper fret access and especially fit and finish...those were based on comparisons to my Canadian basses. The D-Roc compares favorably, regardless of price point, but the Canadians are just flawless.

graphics1988 likes this.
  4. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    So did the analysis say anything special ?

5. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    The nut slots were carved too low, there was too much bow in the neck and frets around 1-4 + upper frets need some levelling.
    We corrected the nut, but now i feel it might be a touch too high or maybe i just got used to the feeling of it before.

I also installed DW nickel strings for the 1st time and I'm really liking the tone so far.
    They also seem to give the bass a lot more output compared to other strings I've tried

BurningSkies likes this.
  6. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Ivan,
    You might try emailing Mike Lull’s shop about Pleking your Dingwall.

Iv@N likes this.
  7. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Have you plek’d your Dingwalls there?

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  8. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe so. I had them work on my main gigging SJ4, installing block inlays, Luminlay markers, and converting it the “PJ” pickups. They did a refret at the same time and my understanding is that they Plek all their refretting work.

Iv@N likes this.
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I may have undersold here. My D-Roc Standard is a seriously great bass. Unfortunately, it will be November 30 before I get it onstage. The only electric bass show I have before then is the Bluebird, and that is either the M-85 or fretless. My November shows are almost all upright bass shows.

10. BassBH

BassBH

Mar 25, 2017
    Calgary, AB
    The color of mine looks a bit different. Was trying to get a fresh picture in the daylight, but lately I leave for work before the sun comes up and don’t get home until it’s alrwady gone down.

Anyway here’s a fresh picture in fairly warm light, and old one, and one from Sheldon.

B6EF432E-5097-40B7-AA02-4900C5743865.
    B5E8A820-339F-4503-A3AA-455604F64099.
    82ECDB10-58F4-468D-93EF-697A2DA92D7A.

11. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    I’ll send him an email. Thanks!

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  12. gearhound22

gearhound22

Jun 29, 2019
    One of the few IMO where maple looks good on it for a fretboard

13. BassBH

BassBH

Mar 25, 2017
    Calgary, AB
    Thanks!

I'm honestly not a maple guy, but I love this bass (my old one hasn't been touched in almost a year). I'd even prefer a simple rosewood upgrade if it existed. And a 6x switch. And...and...and...Kidding, I'm very happy with it.

14. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Welp - I gave in and picked up a 2nd aquamarine sparkle D-Bird off Reverb last night. Going to try to move my AB4 now: For Sale - Dingwall Afterburner 1

This bass is fantastic, I'm just obsessed with the D-Bird ergonomics. The looks aren't too bad either ;)

So yeah, I'll be the guy with two sparkly blue D-Birds for the foreseeable future. One BEAD-Bird and one AEAD-Bird.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I was kind of wondering this when you said you were doing it. I'd always been led to believe that they don't handle multiscale instruments.

Iv@N likes this.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  17. gearhound22

gearhound22

Jun 29, 2019
    There was a nice white combustion with a rosewood neck on Vancouver Island not long ago. But had the rectangle pickups which are hard on the fingers :D

3rd time lucky I snatched a different Combustion (v1) with rosewood fingerboard so might part with my Nolly now

18. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Didn't you notice it before going to the shop ?
    Bow is easy to correct, but how did you fix the nut ?

19. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    The neck was pretty straight, but apparently there was more room for it to move after correcting the nut.
    They added a slim layer of wood beneath it to raise the overall height and then corrected the height

20. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Sooooo, it turns out Ducati White has a very complex character. I tried to capture the depth and ‘sparkliness’. I think it is exactly what you’re going for!

BE09A518-20E5-425C-9434-C2BBE7E0DE2C.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019