1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Been having trouble with my hand cramping when playing the Sklar. I realized that my strap was just a little longer than the others so body position is slightly different. I was going to move the strap lock up a little, but just grabbed it, put it on the recessed pin and (the key here most likely) without thinking just played. Felt comfortable. I also found that on the Sklar I used to move my hand to the pickups to get a thumb rest. Today I played in my usual position and floated my thumb and generally didn't have to think about it. Did help it was a couple easy songs I was working on, but still.

AB Nate and BassBH like this.
  2. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    Sometimes you get used to a bass's ergonomics, but sadly, one of my favorites might be getting sold because nothing I do makes it comfortable except for standing, and I never play or perform standing so...

I have found out larger bodied basses work with me better, I use the curve to rest my arm so my hand is at a slight angle, but wrist is straight. Part of the reason I'm having an explorer built for me.

3. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    That's too bad. Initially you're like "I just need to get used to it". Eventually, you realize. This is sort of my "try a Z neck" trial. Still in the early stages. I play my AB2s a ton more.

Interesting about standing vs sitting. Generally it is similar for me. I used to play and practice standing. Now at our current church, I practice standing, but play sitting.

4. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    Yeah, it sucks when it happens, looks good, sounds good, plays good, but it simply doesn't fit.

Thankfully it was my $600 LTD (well it was $1200 new) and not my Combustion- that thing fits like a glove.

Hopefully it works out for you, but if it doesn't at least Dingwalls hold their value like gold.

I might still hold onto it because of it's tone, I do a lot of Rush covers and it sounds like a hot Jazz mixed with a Wal, gotta love them Nordstrand Big Splits!

I do need to get a Fender Jazz one of these days... Thought about the Geddy signature, but I don't know if I can drop a string now...

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'll just toss this out there for the group - if anyone is selling 5 string Zs or pretty nice ABs, feel free to put me on your short list to run them by :). Could also maybe be enticed by a DBird / D-Roc.

Peter Lufrano and AB Nate like this.
  6. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    For Sale - Dingwall Afterburner 1

It's a simple AB1, but I think it's nice!

7. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    ...was at my local Dingwall dealer last night that has those two D-ROC's, they've been there maybe week and a half or two - people have been picking at the sticker pickguard and peeled them up in spots - really sad too see. Hard to believe how thin and light weight these basses are though - its an awkward sitting bass, but playing standing, diff story. Such a cool looking bass nonetheless.

8. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    What? animals!

graphics1988 likes this.
  9. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Grr. Who does that to an instrument of that value?

Waltsdog, graphics1988 and packrat like this.
  10. graphics1988

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Yep...$2300 CDN. Sad too see BOTH have been picked at too
    :(

11. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Is that the Markham store? I was gonna pop in this weekend. Would be fun to see how the D-roc compares to the D-Bird.

Lowendtech and graphics1988 like this.
  12. graphics1988

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Yessir. ...plus they have a couple Dingwall 5str Combustions..possibly even a couple 4's - they've had these for awhile. Have fun! (Go to Cosmo Music afterward as well - its 12min away)...no Dingwalls, but a super cool store with lots to see.

Lowendtech and Waltsdog like this.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Deposit paid, build queue entered, waiting game begun :smug:

djaxup, reddavid, NaH and 5 others like this.
  14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Paul M, TolerancEJ and AB Nate like this.
  15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Woo! We're queue buddies!

Iv@N likes this.
  16. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I was just there. Jeff was packing it up and Chad was filling out the shipping details. It’s gone!

Selta likes this.
  17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    My bank account just sighed relief.

BassBH likes this.
  18. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Chad mentioned that they’ve got an AB of some sort coming in soon, so don’t put your wallet away too quickly :p

BassBH and NaH like this.
  19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    ABs don't really do it for me. He and I talked about that one coming in. I'm pretty set on the Z & Prima lines at this point... except for really unique or interesting ABs.

20. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Well what does that mean for your sixer then???

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    BassBH likes this.