1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
  2. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    Does your Z3-6 have FD3 or FDV pickups? I have FDVs in my Z and FD3s in my AB1-6. The Dingwall website describes the FDV as having a more classic tone while the FD3 is more modern. I find the opposite to be true. I’m always taming the highs on the FDVs and boosting low mids. But on the FD3s I always use a buffer to bring out the clarity in the top end while the low mid is already perfect. I considered buying a set of FD3s for my Z but I’m slowly learning how to get what I want from the FDVs.

And now a gratuitous photo of my Z

F4D5462D-D4A0-41F6-878A-7F88AA361109.jpeg

3. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Beauty!!

mine has FD3s. What preamps do you have in both?

4. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    6-strings Zs might be the best looking Dingwalls. I'm a 4-string Super Jazz guy, but this one and Umansky's are kind of flipping me.

pbass6811 and TolerancEJ like this.
  5. BassBH

BassBH

Mar 25, 2017
    Calgary, AB
    Nice! Welcome! Let us know if you have any quandaries.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    No, it sleeps in it's case and I am super careful putting it in the car. I need to look at it, worst case a quick call to Dingwall for a pot is all I would need to do.

7. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hoping to get opinions on this...

The D-Bird I got off Reverb arrived just now and I'm less than impressed with the seller - primarily because the 'mint' condition instrument has clear damage around the nut. It looks like they used a pliers or something to tear the nut out on the bass end, and in the process damaged some of the finish on the fretboard above the nut. My biggest concern is that they may have filed out the nut slot itself, but I won't know until I get home and am able to pop the nut out.

From first impression, would you return this bass? The other option on mind is to request a partial refund, $100-$200, and take the bass to a skilled local luthier to have it all fixed up.

MVIMG_20191111_121337.jpg IMG_20191111_121341.jpg IMG_20191111_121346.jpg

BassBH and TolerancEJ like this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Wow, I'm not a super stickler on stuff, but that's ugly, especially from the bass side of the neck. Looks like someone tried to remove the nut, had a hard time at getting it out and made a mess of the job.

GregC, BassBH and BrBss like this.
  9. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I’d request a substantial refund to repair the finish around the nut as well. That’s a major piss off if it was advertised as mint. Not to mention even if it wasn’t, that should have been clearly shown.
    I’d be more inclined to return it.
    poopy bro. :banghead::rage::mad:

BuffaloBob4343, Akami, BassBH and 2 others like this.
  10. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I’d be returning that on principle alone.

DiabolusInMusic, BassBH and AB Nate like this.
  11. Charlzm

Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not mint. Return it. If the seller offers a discount, then it's your decision.

12. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    So far the seller has already ordered a replacement nut from Fret Nation, without me asking. They also have offered partial refund to cover the cost around getting this damage around the nut repaired.

I sent an email with these pictures to my luthier asking for a ballpark quote on repairs. I'll see what he says.

If the seller will cover the cost of the repairs I'm inclined to keep it. The rest of the bass is 'mint', as described.

Akami, GregC, djaxup and 4 others like this.
  13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Better be a NICE discount. I'd be inclined to return that. I've been known to cheap out and take a discount, but I'd be really leary about what was done and how the rest of the instrument was treated. Who knows what else you'll find later.

DiabolusInMusic and Waltsdog like this.
  14. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Hi, me again ... please excuse my ignorance in these matters, but suppose I want my Super J5 to sound more modern and aggressive, like an NG-2; is there a mod that will get me there? Is the Darkglass preamp compatible with the Super J?

15. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    your super J has super Fatty pick ups. To make it more modern I’d think you’d want to go to FD3s and they are not compatible IIRC with those pick up shells. You could possibly look into some Nordstrand pick ups to retro fit in those shells.
    The DGTC is 3 band so you’d have to do some pretty heavy modding As I don’t believe they have a stackable pot option.
    You could put in a 2 band glockenklang or a stackable 3 band glockenklang

or you could sell it and buy a more modern version.

Helge_Glock likes this.
  16. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Agreed! My first 6er(that I've actually owned, I've played a few over the years)should be here in the next couple of weeks! I hope I love it, but that could mean another round of basses, and after being subjected to @AB Nate 's amazing collection of Z 6ers and being completely infatuated with Jacob Umansky's Z, I'm fighting the urge to order a Z 6er...

Yo, Nate, can you post your Z's again, to help with research, and stuff...;):D

AB Nate likes this.
  17. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Just get a darkglass pedal and see if that does what you’re looking for. No mods required and you can sell it if it’s not what you want.
    Might also be worth looking at other strings, the Super J you have doesn’t really lend itself to what you want from it but stainless steel strings and a pedal in your chain might get you close.

18. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Lol

19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I’m an avid fan of SS strings BUT...... I love them on my long scale but found they fell short on the SJ and to my surprise gravitated towards nickels.
    I think the pedal option would be a super valid option though. Especially this one if your just trying to modernize a clean tone.

20. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    My Z3-6 has Darkglass Tone Capsule. My AB1-6 is passive but I added a series/parallel switch for both pickups. I have an AB2-5 with an Aguilar pre-amp and an SJ4 that was originally Aguilar but I recently put in a 2-band Glockenklang.

Helge_Glock likes this.