1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I dig it! Sheldon seems to really dig the gold, and it looks good on Dingwall basses!

I wish Dingwall would just put black hardware on everything. The Smoked Chrome is ok, but, the black just feels right.

I was planning on selling my NG-3 after my other basses finally show up, but, after seeing @rulefuzz mod his Combustion with black hardware, I'm leaning towards keeping it and doing the black hardware upgrade.

rulefuzz likes this.
  3. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I looked there but didn't find a file bigger than .125".

I will check that out.

Thanks for the advice,

--jack

4. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Sure thing. I just updated my earlier post with a link to that tool, which is:
    StewMac Safe Slot Nut Guard | stewmac.com

JackTheRipper likes this.
  5. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Ooooooooo.
    I see why people dig this!!!

pics don’t do it justice.
    I did not expect to like it.

I think I started foaming at the mouth... instantly
    F5B7BAD6-B060-493B-ACCD-E03D61A13E59.jpeg

6. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

And then this!!!!!

why did I come here today ‍♂️

C5BF98B4-26C4-4997-B240-65F59D26BB84.jpeg

7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Dang me. I’d have a hard time walking out with my credit card intact.

8. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    S-Bigbottom and BurningSkies like this.
  9. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    My time to shine!

I own both an NG2 and an NG3 model. The only thing the NG3 does that the NG2 doesn't is obtain the ability to run all 3 pickups at once.

When doing this, the tone is pretty massive. I tend to find myself using either just the middle pickup, or the bridge and middle in series for most things I do. However, I was playing in a melodic hardcore project for a while, and running all 3 pickups at once was perfect for that project. I was tuning the bass to GCGCF for that project and I can say that running all 3 pickups in that setting produced a very powerful low end without sacrificing the clarity necessary for that style of music.

I hope I answered your question, but if not, feel free to ask me anything. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have concerning those models. :)

AB Nate likes this.
  10. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    Tape two files together at both ends that equal .145 or just under that. The StewMac guard thing looks like a good idea as well. I have wished for one of those many times.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I was going to to suggest just stacking gauges, that is what even Stew-Mac recommends, but then I looked at the ad. Upon reading the ad, it appears to be just an expensive "feeler gauge holder."

12. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Correct. But it is easy, convenient, hands free, and relatively foolproof, and not really all that expensive.
    Of course, you could make one out of a few sturdy rubber bands too.
    Either way, I think it's a cool idea.
    When filing nuts, I need my left hand to hold the headstock (I don't use a vise), and my right hand for the file, that leaves no hands to hold the feeler gauges in the right spot, pressed down firmly against the fretboard.

13. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    It depends a bit on if the NG3 has the 3x switch or D-Bird switch. What you've described is the D-Bird switch.

d-roatary-layout.jpg

It's cut off in that image, but the bridge+middle position on the D-Bird switch is parallel, VS series on the 3x and NG-2 configuration.

Waltsdog and J-Rad like this.
  14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    i am....

Definitely scheming already @Andyman001
    Were you serious?

Andyman001 likes this.
  15. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    Thanks! For me, the series position tone on the NG-2 is already pretty massive, so I can't think of a situation where I'd want the monstrous tone of all three pickups on the NG-3.

BurningSkies and J-Rad like this.
  16. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    I may stand corrected. I could've swore the NG3 had the "All 3 On' configuration by default, but maybe I'm mistaken.

17. Mine has been ordered with full lines, took some convincing by the dealer.

BurningSkies likes this.
  18. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

How much $ did L&M have on the sticker for that?

19. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Vancouver has one of these as well.

20. A quick and dirty method would be to take your old B string and roll sandpaper around it until it's the thickness you need to file the slot out. Then just move it back and forth through the slot. If you go this route I'd recommend doing it in increments and checking the fit of your .145 frequently. Not as "legit" as having the right sized file but I've gotten good results with this method.

The first batch of NG3s from very late 2018-early 2019 had the D-bird selector which includes "all 3 on," but they've since switched to the 3X.