1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I have no idea why this seems more frustrating than a 23.5 month wait for a Canadian Dingwall, but it does, although I now have an IG pic of my finished bass sitting in a rack in the shop...

I'M THIS CLOSE!!!

Charlzm, graphics1988 and AB Nate like this.
  2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

Well?

Charlzm and pbass6811 like this.
  3. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I've had to consciously change my playing position due to this specific issue. I try to focus on playing parallel to the pickups which would be like the red arrow in your image. This became apparent to me when I was playing faster stuff on the thinner strings and was running into the bridge.

For me it's a way to improve my playing. As others have suggested you can move all over the strings to find interesting sounds and this technique keeps the tone and string tension consistent. When I play guitar I find it easier to move my picking position now and can do sweeps and different muting techniques more easily.

nellie48 likes this.
  4. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So new Dingwalls are shipped out with pickup heights that are much closer than what Sheldon would suggest his basses be set at?

I’ve had mine a few days and the pickups are super close. Like 3/16” or so.

5. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the input on the plucking hand advice. I agree that plucking in different positions on the strings can really give a lot control over your tone. I do this when I feel a need.

My original post however was referring to doing a quick ascending scale run when the hand is stationary, like a C major scale. For that situation I would think following the red line makes more sense. Certainly, I’ll need to get rid of my bad habit of drifting towards the bridge when doing an ascending scale like that. On a Dingwall that would mean I’m running on top of the bridge on the G string!

This bass is going to force me to get rid of bad habits and should improve my technique. It already has. I’m playing with a lighter touch and working on my floating thumb.

S-Bigbottom, pravus and AB Nate like this.
  6. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Well, it's not actually a pic of my bass, it's a pic that my bass happens to be in...:whistle:

Ok, fine...

thumbnail-93.jpeg

Mine is the most boring and utilitarian one in the whole rack. I'm ok with that, I was going for workhorses, not show horses. I'm seriously considering having my FBass sanded to a matte finish. I love the look of the glossy finish, but the matte finishes just work better for my needs.

7. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    What is that matte blue/violet color before the red one ?

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Neck definitely not a Sklar. When he has the bass on his lap it appears to be wenge

9. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    It looks like Blue/Purple Colorshift...

10. There's nothing boring about midnight burst! It looks great! The Super P and J in black and red that are farther back would appear far more conventional. Nothing wrong with those, either!

11. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    It really looks an awful lot like this bass...

lss-3.jpg

Maybe he had a different neck put on? If anyone can get their basses modded by the fine folks at Dingwall, it's probably this guy...LOL!

Or, it could be a Z2.

12. BS666

BS666

Feb 13, 2020
    So this may seem kind of strange but here are a couple more pictures of your bass for you to drool over haha.

Attached Files:

13. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Sir - you are WRONG in saying your ABZ is 'boring and utilitarian' of the bunch - hell's NO....Even Salma Hayek comes out of the shower with no makeup on, and is still stunning!! I prefer the satin finish to be honest - i believe even Sheldon expected me to go to gloss with all the upgrades i did - nope and zero regrets. Your bass will be killer - and i will take a wet or dry Salma......just sayin. ;)

Jerry Ziarko, AB Nate and pbass6811 like this.
  14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    @pbass6811 I wouldn't call yours boring at all!

15. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I appreciate that, fellas, but that's not my bass...:D:roflmao::laugh:! Mine is the Midnightburst ABZ at the front of the line...LOL!

S-Bigbottom, Charlzm and AB Nate like this.
  16. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I stand by what I said :D

pbass6811 likes this.
  17. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

Excellent. I assumed it was one of these shop rack photos.... but still. Awesome looking 4 banger!!!

I cannot wait to see the 6th one in!!!

pbass6811 likes this.
  18. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    it could also be the blackout option on a maple neck

pbass6811 likes this.
  19. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Thats the one i was referring too. Dont make me argue with you!!! hahaha