1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Nope. Not overkill. That would look awesome!

CameronJohnson likes this.
  2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    The white pickguard reminds me of those red Lakland Duck Dunn basses. Not a bad thing at all! The tort might look really cool too!

CameronJohnson and Iv@N like this.
  3. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    A white pearl would match the blocks too.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  4. Anything in the red/brown/white/black/silver family would complement the existing colo(u)r scheme of that bass. The white is quite sharp, making it--to my eye--one of of the best-looking SJs out there (and I own one). White, parchment, cream (if not too yellow), white pearl, black pearl, tort, can all work nicely. If you want something less flash, by all means change it, but you've got my all-important thumbs up on the current version. :thumbsup:

There's always the "opposite contrast" approach that some like, using an old Fender-style mint--very pale. Blue is right out, unless you're going total Union Jack. Chrome? A bit too West Ham. :whistle:

Of course, by inference this puts me in the "no tort on a blue bass" and "no green polyester slacks with a red plaid shirt" camp, so my aesthetics are questionable at best.

seedokebass likes this.
  5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    20200304_185036.jpg @AmazingMumford questionable aesthetics aside, we still love ya ;)

I still think my green Combustion with brown tort (I forget the official name now) is questionable but it grew on me!

S-Bigbottom, pravus and BassikBrad like this.
  6. Green and red fall under the opposite contrasting colors rule...as long as there's no polyester involved! :D

seedokebass likes this.
  7. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    I just thought I'd ask again - where are you guys getting tort or pearl pickguards made?

seedokebass likes this.
  8. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm interested in this too, I wouldn't mind a pearl guard on my purple NG2...

9. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Baltic Amber

CameronJohnson and seedokebass like this.
  10. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you! I was trying to find the post about it hadn't found it.

11. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Recorded this today. It’s my attempt at getting that John McVie P bass tone on my NG3. The sound is actually warmer than what I wanted. I could get it better with more fiddling. With that said, it really shows the versatility of tone on these basses.

djaxup, 5StringPocket, GregC and 10 others like this.
  12. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Sounds great!

13. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    WOW man - that is amazing. If you could go back in time and had played on the original track, it would have sounded even better than it did! Really impressive - great playing, I think the tone sounded great, and the sustain is unreal. Were you using any compression, or is that just the natural sustain of the bass?

14. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    This gets my vote 100%. That’s a fantastic looking Super!

15. jellew

jellew

Sep 27, 2008
    sweden
    I used to own a Super J 5 and now own a older version of the afterburner 2 with solid mahogany body. I thought it was easier to get a good sound from the Super J, more of a plug and play situation but now I am really digging the sound of the afterburner as well, I think most of the difference is because of the preamp, pickups and the scale length.

The shorter scalelength of the super gives a warmer tone compared to the afterburner and I do believe, as others have said, that the longer scale length is more unforgiving to sloppy left hand technique (guilty). The B-string on the afterburner is on another level though.

Personally I would love to own a Super J 4 together with my Afterburner:hyper:And also a Z3 5 with some bad ass colours :bassist: ...What was the question again? :D

16. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I cheated a little bit
    7A579E4D-F9EF-40EC-B076-19CB2A6AEE6E.jpeg

17. Now mint could work nicely! I’ve considered black-white-black too as a less flashy option. Don’t think I’d go the pearl route as it would potentially be too garish with how in your face the blocks already are. For my taste at least.

18. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I haven’t made a pick guard yet but I was exploring some pickguard blanks the other day and will be buying some soon. I have a nice laser engraver in my classroom (I’m a STEM teacher) and I’m dying to cut a guard for my NG3. I think I could even do the 3 stripe cut out as well. I’ll just need to file the beveled edges and sand it. If it goes well I’ll let you know.

Ryno1330, BassikBrad and AB Nate like this.
  19. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    A couple things.
    1) Go Cubs
    2) Great playing and tone. I bought my NG3 for the series and parallel options it had and the biggest suprise was that I spend half my time on the neck (either passive or active depending on the mood). I was blown away how much it sounded like a really good precision.
    3) You must have great taste. An NG3, a hyper luminal with the exact same settings I use for a vintage vibe (I do run the blend to noon usually though), and a great song. Oh wait, nevermind - forgot about the Reds jersey :)

20. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Awesome thanks!