1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    That is a blue/purple colorshift ABZ 3x 4-string with ghost blocks, DGTC, and luminlay side dots that is on its way here shortly.

johnsonabq, IronSpatula, NaH and 3 others like this.
  2. jellew

jellew

Sep 27, 2008
    sweden
    Bass direct had it up for way too long, glad it found a good home. I gazed at that bass frequently :)

3. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I wonder why it was up that long. Maybe because it was passive? The color scheme? I like both so it worked out for me and I didn't get it from them.

4. I'm a happy owner of a maple-maple Glockenklang SJ5 (with a pseudo-P Super Fatty pickup in the neck position), but there's always been a bit of ABII curiosity. Any thoughts on the sonic differences? Others' thoughts welcome, of course....

5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've been thinking about that for either of mine. They're sweet basses, but I can't help but think how awesome they'd be with wenge necks!

6. Just acquired my third Dingwall (well, a few days ago) just in time for UK Corona Lockdown! Yay :roflmao:

Despite being a staunch 5 string player for the past few years I thought I’d pick up this Super P4 from Bass Direct. Plays like a dream and fits into the current herd nicely. The vintage white is nice and creamy, just the way I like it. Maple neck, wenge board, tort guard.

Now to get used to 4 strings again...

6D61334F-C21D-4D87-B4F8-37EC064FA6D8.jpeg

7. Oh, and it weighs nothing - 7lbs 6oz! I thought my natural Super P5 was light at 7lbs 14 but this takes the biscuit.

graphics1988 and NaH like this.
  8. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    unfortunately no wenge necks for Chinwalls

9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Pm me, and I'll give you the price I was quoted for a Super5 all wenge neck last year.

10. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Correct on both fronts. The Sklar mid is voiced lower plus the rotary pickup selector is wired differently. 1. Bridge 2. Bridge/Middle in parallel 3. Middle 4. Bridge/Middle in series.

AB Nate, Jerry Ziarko and Waltsdog like this.
  11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Which pickup selector comes in the Sklar 3X?

12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    The D-Roc switch.

pbass6811 likes this.
  13. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    In a general sense how does the tone of an ABZ with the darkglass preamp compare to a combustion with the same preamp?

And do the necks feel different?

And while I'm on a role does anyone know who will cut a black pearl pickguard (hopefully somewhat reasonably) for a Combustion?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    The pickups in the NG-3(FD-3n) seem to have a bit more bite and aggressive tone compared to the FDVs in the ABZs. At the same settings, my NG-3 has a bit more harmonic content in the upper mids and the highs are a bit zingier. In other words, to me, it has more growl. It's also a wee bit louder, at the same settings. The ABZ, OTOH, has a much richer bottom, a more controlled midrange, and a sweeter top end. Having said that, it doesn't take much to get the ABZ into NG-3 territory. Tonewise, I would say they're on different sides of the same circle...

From a feel standpoint, the NG-3 feels super solid, well-built, and the neck is very comfortable. You'd think it was the pinnacle of Dingwall quality...

Until you played an ABZ.

What I find most amazing, is that my ABZs, including my 6er, are significantly lighter than my NG-3, but they FEEL even sturdier! Normally, we associate quality with heft, if it's heavier, it must be higher quality. That is absolutely NOT the case with Dingwall basses. The ABZ neck is thinner, front-to-back, which makes it quite a bit more comfortable to me. Not that the NG-3 neck is a tree trunk, it's just that the ABZ neck is thinner and faster. I routinely go from one to the other and the difference is fairly significant. Again, the NG-3 neck is good, just not ABZ good.

Putting FD-3n's in an ABZ isn't the worst idea ever, putting FDV's in an NG-3, is slightly less of a good idea. I'd still buy an ABZ with FD-3n's, I'd probably pass on an NG-3 with FDV's.

That was probably no help, but them's my thoughts...

graphics1988 likes this.
  15. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    That one came from bassdirect and was in the classifieds a little while back, it's a couple of years old. I Played it while it was in London last year, nice bass. My ABZ is wenge/wenge.

16. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Nope great info thanks.

pbass6811 likes this.
  17. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I love my chambered AB2. Probably one of my favorites of what I own. It has a bit more acoustic presence, slightly fuller, perhaps less compressed.

AmazingMumford and reddavid like this.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, taking into account mine are both older models (SJ5 is chambered rather than thin bodied & ABII has no scroll hole, mahogany body, bubinga neck/wenge fingerboard), I would say the SJ5 is more even across the board and sounds fatter and punchier. The B-string is decent/good and in character with the sound of the other strings.

The ABII sounds a little more compressed (more than my ABI5 - alder body, maple neck, wenge board), but that B-string...!! The strings are more responsive on the extra long scales as well, which can be unforgiving on sloppy technique.

I think the ideal bass would the B-string or bass strings of the super long scales with the treble strings of Super Series basses. Unfortunately a 37" to 32" fan would likely be unplayable.

jellew and AmazingMumford like this.
  19. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    That Super P with the block inlays though....:hyper::bassist:

20. Yeah, that’s my number 1 for sure. The all-wenge neck is phenomenal. At one time I was considering having a dark tort pickguard made for it but maybe that would be overkill o_O