1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Someone had a set of Big Splits in rounded Dingwall shells for sale in classifieds (not me) - it is from Oct, so might want to check if they still have them, but...
    For Sale - Nordstrand Big Splits for Dingwall Combustion 5

Cantstandsya likes this.
  2. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Not exactly relevant to anyone with the rounded shells but for anyone with an older square shell Combustion or NG Nordstrand's EMG-40 shell size should work perfectly for a 5 string.

Saw some demos for the big singles in an NG2 and got pretty tempted but went with what I was definitely sure I would like in the Nordstrand FD3s. There is a reverse pole option for some of their pickups that Payson says work better for the fan spacing.

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    My ABZ has the older square shells and what I like about that is it gives me more pickup options if I want to experiment but for right now, the stock pickups sound great.

DingwallDingus likes this.
  4. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Pretty much the whole reason I went with what I knew, stock pickups sounded stellar to my ears. To be honest the main reason I did a pickup swap was the fact that the shells of the originals had been scratched to hell and back from misuse regarding pickup height and aggressive play.

Andyman001 and gidbass like this.
  5. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Are FDV's typically much lower output than the FD3N pickups? I'm trying to do some volume leveling on my patches for my dingwalls on my helix, and I'm finding I need to add 12db of boost to get the FDVs from my ABZ 4 to have the same input level as my d-roc standard 4 with FD3Ns. Not sure if this is expected or not

BurningSkies likes this.
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I didn't notice a difference in output when I replaced the FD3's with FDV's in my NG-2. Are the pickup heights the same?

BurningSkies likes this.
  7. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Both passive? Active?

8. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Good point. The D-roc would be passive, I'm wondering about the ABZ...

9. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hm. I fear my new bass is in the latest shipping rack photo, but is not interesting enough to be highlighted :(

BurningSkies likes this.
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm honestly surprised they have time to even post shipping rack photos, let alone highlighting any new builds

spiritbass likes this.
  11. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I'm guessing...blue? (The only Super I see.) Nothing wrong with that! Classic looks. Beautiful (Norwegian) blue.

And classic looks = theft deterrence.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sound and playability way more important than flashy looks and prominence in a Facebook post?

12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yes, the FD-3n's are quite a bit hotter than the FDV's. The D-Bird Standard I had had WAY more output than not only my ABZ's, but it was louder than the NG-3 that I had. Tonally, 3n's are slightly more aggressive in mid content than FDV's. I do feel like the FDV's are a tiny bit more versatile, but they don't have the output the FD-3n's have.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Are the FD-3N's different than the vanilla FD3s?

14. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I second that. The D-Bird is a high output passive beast!

15. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    The only bass I've owned that was louder than that D-Bird Standard was a Spector Euro 4LX with a trim pot TonePump. That bass was stupid loud, LOL! With the D-Bird Standard, I still had to make sure I turned it all the way down, before I unmuted my rig, then I could turn it up to match the volume I was at previously.

Passive FD-3n's are GLORIOUS! LOL!

16. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    It is to us. Congrats you're that close. You can post to us and we'll drool like crazy.

austin2112 and AB Nate like this.
  17. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Sure, but they appear to have hidden it behind other basses and since I don't have it yet, seeing a picture of it is pretty much as close as I can get for the moment!

B>

18. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    PXL_20210223_043346305.jpg

So I did two things...

One, I got me a Dingwall NG3!

Two, I gutted it and installed the John East MM SR 3 band. Passive tone control addon coming later this week. Will probably wire up a battery kill switch or something as well.

I also have a rotary switch upgrade coming as well :)

I like the dark glass preamp and have used it in other projects, but for my Dingwall I wanted something a bit more neutral and flexible. I had the idea to try out the MMSR since I had it in my Ray24 from the Stingray Mod Guide series, and success!

19. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    cool! Make sure to post videos of this thing here. I’ve noticed they’ve stopped in the “show your basses” thread. Assuming somebody had nothing better to do but mod you on it?

Nuage420 and LowEndLobster like this.
  20. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Hey :)

So follow-up on my question here about Dingwall pickups.

Sent them an email, asking for simple stuff about the pickups, got an answer saying that they don't sell them to people that don't already own a Dingwall ! I replied that they can already be bought online through several reputable websites (not counting second-hand), and all I'm asking is some documentation on a product that I can purchase. Waiting for an answer, but at this point I'm assuming they are not willing to provide any support to non-Dingwall bass owners, are not fond of the idea of having their pickups mounted on a different bass, and consequently only release minimal information about them :bag:

Anyway maybe someone will be able to answer those :
    - FD3n neck and bridge are dual coil (and humcanceling), identical in terms of output, so why are they RWRP from each other ? Is this a magnetic field consideration, like having the North of each pickups side by side ?
    - Do all the pickups of the current line-up share that characteristic (Super Fatty, FDV) ? Meaning all Neck versions are similar to the Neck versions from the other lines, and similar in terms of output with the Bridge equivalent
    - Can you easily combine different lines of pickups (say, a FDV, a FD3n and a P-Tone) ? No output volume issues ? I've seen the P-Tone swap done already, so I'm assuming it is fine, asking just to make sure.

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021