1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Do you have a pic of Galactus handy if you don't mind? That sounds right up my alley.

2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    The eater of planets!!!
    05DDF5C3-2517-44B2-A15B-F63786E8E094.jpeg
    F44E8FEB-29B7-4265-902F-BCAFE5123125.jpeg A719B2AB-2B7E-4520-84C1-75296E550B62.jpeg D0128E31-5D9F-4AE0-AD05-34A180EBACC1.jpeg 4607C28A-F8B3-44A1-A40E-D0AB44F5C6E1.jpeg 323FDD2D-C52A-4FB4-8EC4-DF06CACDCCDB.jpeg

3. austin2112

austin2112 Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2015
    :thumbsup:
    Did you get a red one too or am I going cross eyed in all the Dingwall posts I follow on Instagram?

Not related, but I got another Rocco bass ;):hyper::bassist:

4. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Red one is a friend's that I'm borrowing, prompted the gold one's purchase ;P. NICE!

austin2112 and Nuage420 like this.
  5. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Both passive.

Pickup heights are actually somewhat different. The ABZ was pretty close to stock specs (~3mm spacing from string to pickup on g string), but required a small adjustment.

The surprising one is the d-roc standard pickup height. The neck pickup is ok, but the middle and neck are ~1.5mm from pickup to string, which seems rather high. Per the dingwall video, 3mm is the closest they recommend going to the string, so I'm surprised I got it from the factory with the pickups set the way they are (d roc was ordered new, ABZ was bought used on classifieds here). Is it typical for the d-roc pickups to be so high? Or should I be lowering these down to stock specs.

Pickup height video I watched for reference:

6. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    GREAT COLOR!

7. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Hard for me to tell if it's the matte gold or orange from the lighting but I'm going to assume the gold due to the slight sparkle.

Now that's got me thinking about the reverse scheme of this black and gold color scheme I used to have

received_1487855024742050.jpeg

Matte gold with all black hardware and a black pearloid guard.

BurningSkies, AB Nate and Nuage420 like this.
  8. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Very Classy

DingwallDingus likes this.
  9. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Thank you, I enjoyed it very much like that. If it was still that way I'd put either hipshot mono rails or a babicz bridge on it. Those were some cheap no name mono rails, I still have the gold keys and knobs. Who knows, maybe I can experiment with my current situation and see if I find something cool.

Nuage420 likes this.
  10. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I’d think you should
    Lower them. You lose definition/clarity and harmonic content IMO by having the pick ups too close to the strings.
    The magnets will be pulling at those strings in offensive ways is my guess

11. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Anyone else notice something unusually super?

591155DE-F69C-4DA0-916D-F74D2F2F4BB1.png

Dare we guess a production super???

12. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    UGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

13. Poobini

Poobini Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Please... oh, please...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Experiment time... I've ordered 2 customs sets from Newtone. They are:

- Style: Platinum
    - Wrapping material: Nickel Plated Steel
    - String length form ball end to nut: 37.5
    - Core type: Round
    - Taper at bridge: 3rd, 4th, 5th
    - 1st: .044 wound
    - 2nd: .056 wound
    - 3rd: .076 wound *
    - 4th: .102 wound *
    - 5th: .130 wound *

And:

- Style: Platinum
    - Wrapping material: Nickel Plated Steel
    - String length form ball end to nut: 37.5
    - Core type: Hexagonal
    - Taper at bridge: 3rd, 4th, 5th
    - 1st: .042 wound
    - 2nd: .056 wound
    - 3rd: .074 wound *
    - 4th: .098 wound *
    - 5th: .130 wound *

The first set is as close as possible to literally even tension across the neck at give or take 42-44lbs (slightly more on the E). The second set is similar, but with hex-core and factored down slightly for the stiffer feel. We'll see how the do.

I honestly drop all my pickups by a turn or turn & a half...otherwise I get them all marked up by the strings. I don't feel like it's to the detriment of the tone and even though I don't have particularly heavy right hand action, I did mark up my old AB's covers.

I wouldn't guess that. They all look to be Canadian built basses on the rack. Maybe someone asked not to have the inlayed D or there's something else going on with the headstock...or they just haven't gotten to that point in the process?

Waltsdog and DingwallDingus like this.
  15. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    gGQ70aM.png

SUCCESS! John East MMSR 3 band preamp and passive tone control all wired up. Switch is now a kill switch (kills battery circuit). Controls are as follows.

Vol
    Bass/Treb (pull for 'bright')
    Mid/Mid Freq
    Rotary Selector
    Passive Tone
    Kill switch on/off

I am LOVING IT. I will make a full vid showing this off, didn't really do much with the darkglass vid wise other than the unboxing as I've already used the darkglass in other applications and know what it does and doesn't do. I will definitely do a vid showing the differences between this setup and the OG darkglass (using my friend's NG2) for sure.

eloann, Jamie_Funk, reddavid and 3 others like this.
  16. Wait...what does it all mean? Please

17. I think it's a Canadian D Custom cause it has wenge neck... Standards all have maple necks.

18. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I’m looking forward to the review of those strings.

perhaps it’s a prototype? It doesn’t have any of the “shaping” of a Canadian model. ie the recessed cut where it says super

EMoneySC2 likes this.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The Super has neither an inlaid D nor the usual routed 'mouth'/flame detail. But they all appear to be Canadian necks in the midst of the finishing process.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Does seem weird to be finished (at least, apparently finished given the taping) but not have the super's recess. Would be cool if there were overseas made Supers... I'd probably jump on a Super-J.

Iv@N likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021