Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Honestly, not my favorite color of the vintage Fender colors... ice blue metallic and daphne are more my thing.

Snowglo and TheEmptyCell like this.
  2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    A band i undervalued when I was a teen but have really comeback to lately.

The reason I posted was my sentence and how the song came to mind to complete it.

“I may indulge a little.......
    Too much(the song) “

3. Officially getting to join the club y’all!! I bought this back in December, but Covid kept it out of my hands until today. Very excited to get familiar with it!
    36AC9655-C01F-48FE-AF6C-6D6D7F25EF3E.jpeg

4. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Wonder if the shop would sell me a spare combustion neck? I got some ideas.....

5. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Congrats. That’s a really nice red.
    If it has the preamp I think it does there should be 2 dip switches inside

6. interesting! I’ll crack it open. Thanks for the tip!

AB Nate likes this.
  7. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    Folks, posting without doing my research because I’m under time pressure to make a buying decision asap, so apologies. For NGs, do you find a noticeable arm/wrist placement comfort difference between matte and gloss paints, e.g. skin sticking and hindering fast passages jumping between low and high strings? I ask because I have brands and their gloss finishes that I avoid specifically for this reason, looking at you Spector.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I’d say no. It’s not a “grabby” finish.

Wretched Banana likes this.
  9. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hmmm... Never noticed a gloss finish Spector (or Dingwall) do that to me and I never wear long sleeves on stage, but hey; we're all different. You may want to stick with the matte finishes. I tend to prefer them myself, although the prettiest basses will have a gloss finish. I'm still looking forward to my D-Roc fiver. Matte finish and very lightweight, plus I'll walk into any club with it and plug in. My Afterburner 1 is a bit much for some of the places I play (or will). :smug: Ya get a crick in your neck from all the looking back at the stage to keep an eye on it. :laugh:

Wretched Banana likes this.
  10. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I don't follow this thread regularly but I am just popping in to suggest that anyone with an NG try moving the bridge FD-3N pickup to the middle position (or the "neck" position if your NG is only routed for two pickups). For a bit now I've had my FD-3n bridge pickup in that middle position and the P Tone pickup in the neck position. (I got a couple empty Dingwall pickup shells so I've got one of those in the bridge position just to hide the rout from being exposed.) The FD-3N bridge pickup in the middle position has a nearly perfect balance of definition and low end. If I was forced to have only one pickup in my NG I'd pick that one, in that position, in a heartbeat.

Note that I don't know what, if any, difference there is between the FD-3N bridge pickup and the FD-3N middle/neck pickups (in terms of the design of the pickups themselves, not their placement).

While on the subject, and purely out of curiosity, has anyone tried the P Tone pickup in the bridge position? If so what did you think of it?

11. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    DB129DAD-780C-436D-A8F2-54DB4D7105B3.jpeg

I bet this right-angle plug would work on a Combustion/NG! :woot: XBass is run by a local bass player and TB member, but I don’t want to break the rules of the forum so I’ll just reference XBass Cables on Facebook: XBass Cables

I’ve got several cables from XBass, and they’re great quality, handmade in Minnesota. Claudio Rocha (of YouTube Dingwall fame) started using XBass cables a while ago and seems to regularly tag XBass in his social media postings.

12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for posting this , worth checking to solve literally the only singe thing I don’t live about my NG-2!

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Beautiful first year Combustion.

jonesn4bass and spiritbass like this.
  14. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Ha! You finally did get it, very nice color too! Are you still thinking about putting EMG's in it?

Andyman001 and jonesn4bass like this.
  15. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    So ordered some tele plug cables to fit the recessed jack in my NG-2 from xbass
    XBass Cables

super quick reply & easy to deal with.

AB Nate and EMoneySC2 like this.
  16. I actually heard back from Dingwall and they told me that they could put the new style pickups in the older housings, so I’ll probably stick with that to keep everything semi-original. We’ll see - I’m gonna play it stock for a while first and see how how it works for my needs!

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I got several cables from XBass, and they're sweet! I had one speakon cable that fizzled out, but he got it fixed and back to me in under a week. I'm actually looking to see what other cables I can replace with some XBass stuff!

18. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've been thinking of doing that with my 09 Combustion. Part of me wants to yet I kind of like that it sounds different than my NG3 and D Bird.

jonesn4bass likes this.
  19. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well @jonesn4bass I am not going to change the pickups in my Combustion. I did some recording tonight after I (finally!) put a new set of stainless Paysons on it the other day.

Surprise surprise, major tonal improvement... It can very easily do the modern metal/Periphery tones too, which I wasn't trying to get but I'm happy to have :bassist:

jonesn4bass and J R Knots like this.
  20. Good to know! New strings are definitely in order.

seedokebass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021