1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits)...soak 'em for at least a few hours, I prefer at least overnight.

Yeah, a bunch of guys have made these but it's too much work for me and then I'd have these tubes to stand upright somewhere. I just coil them back up, use a couple twist ties and drop them into a sealable container. I prefer the heftier of these two...glass with a decent sealing lid:

IMG_1059.jpg

Pull 'em out of the alcohol, wipe them down and let the residual evaporate for a minute or two and re-string.

SemiDriven, Ryno1330 and gidbass like this.
  2. Gigas444

Gigas444

Jul 30, 2018
    Pernate - Italy
    that's what i needed to know "straplocks ready" pins or "regular" pins (which of course have to be changed as soon as I got the bass at home:D)?

3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

From this picture of a recent-issue NG, they look like they're using standard strap pins.

scifhrmwfrx04mnkxw7r-jpg.jpg

The screws on the Dunlops are a bit more aggressive than the stock ones, but I used a bit of soap on the threads and didn't need to redrill or anything when I've done mine (a few sets)...

Gigas444 and Nuage420 like this.
  4. eloann

eloann Supporting Member

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    It's been a few weeks since I received my first order from Newtone Strings and I now feel qualified to give some feedback.
    I ordered them to alleviate some of the tension on my Super P's neck because one of my bands tunes half a step UP to accomodate the singer.

strings.jpg

While it's not a perfect comparison since I didn't get the same gauges or construction, I like the Newtone better. The tension is now perfect as expected (I used an online tension calculator to try and match that of Dingwall strings in standard tuning, but further balancing the set).
    Beyond that, they sound clear yet "broken in" out of the box - perhaps thanks to the round core. They feel more flexible than Dingwalls tuned standard, but most surprisingly they have a softness to them that's very uncharacteristic of Stainless steel wraps. Not smooth like flatwounds or some coated strings but pleasing to the touch.

For equal specs Newtones are more expensive and you won't find them in stock anywhere - must plan ahead. For those reasons I would probably stick with Dingwalls (or Paysons, which I've also tried and enjoyed) for standard tuning. They're absolutely fine.
    For those of us using exotic tunings though, the customizeability is invaluable and I definitely recommend Newtone.

I have an identical set except for hex core, and a couple similar sets for BEAD on my ABI 4 (hex core, one of them in Platinum tuning) which I've yet to replace my Paysons with. Will further report if I notice anything significant, possibly adding some comments regarding durability.
    Also got some guitar strings for bandmates and myself - they are matching our favorites D'addario NYXL for feel and tone. One of my friends had a couple snap early though.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    IvanBassist and 1983L2000 like this.
  5. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    The Canadian models use Dunlop. The combustion’s AFIAK are not strap lockable unless that’s a very recent change.

floofmusic, Gigas444 and johnsonabq like this.
  6. Gigas444

Gigas444

Jul 30, 2018
    Pernate - Italy
    Thanks guys, I think i will order a set of dunlop (so I can use the same strap I have dedicated to the super p :D)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    AB Nate likes this.
  7. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I find I wear my supers quite a bit different then my long scales. Not a lot of difference in the strap but a few notches worth for sure.

Gigas444 likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yeah, this is sort of why I have a pile of straps. They're all slightly different, and the ones where you have to pull apart and re-do multi-part straps are a pain on the fly.

Thus:
    IMG_0268.jpg

And in all honesty, the two black one in the center (Levy's cotton slide adjust) is my go-to one for live use...because it stays put on my shoulder and the adjust doesn't slip.

Gigas444 likes this.
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Also, these just in from @Nephilymbass ... and it looks by tracking the strings I traded have made it to him as well.

IMG_1061.jpg

So hopefully that's a happy ending.

10. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Similar case here.
    Also why I’ve gone to currently my 2 fav methods of construction right now on my straps.
    The buckle style and the “snap and pop”(pic #1 being the newest idea I’ve been working with). Quick and easy adjusting.
    B7E8644D-928F-4390-B6BA-75F0E1696F38.jpeg 9D1E3639-7773-4705-8833-C3CF1DA50226.jpeg D5515EFA-C39E-4D23-9C08-6EC691296C86.jpeg E3D51214-2A88-4A87-A10A-B57B5DD9FBD1.jpeg E452CECD-1B28-4F67-9A1C-A1553FD32ECC.jpeg FEC58C02-CF16-4FA8-BA29-922A555B36E2.jpeg

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

I never thought I wore my basses too terribly high, but I definitely found some straps didn't adjust high enough for where I wanted them. Many are more for the waist-and-below crowd. I try to adjust so it rides about where it is when I sit or just a little lower than that.

IvanBassist likes this.
  12. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Same. I usually rest the lower horn on my left leg and try to have the strap sit roughly the same distance for when I’m standing. I’ve not really been able to adapt to resting the bass on my right side. The body always seems to gravitate back to centered on the ole keg(not a six pack)

13. Just got em, thanks again. I really do appreciate it. 0EF82A47-B262-4C43-A14B-C0F4633F429E.jpeg

J R Knots and BurningSkies like this.
  14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    So, I feel like in some odd way I've unlocked a new Dingwall household level of achievement.

Last night (after a glass of wine or two) Mrs. Skies commented that she thinks she'll reupholster our Heywood Wakefield mid-century dining room cats eye chairs...in a dark green.

It happens every handful of years, and they've been done in a nice deep turquoise color for a bit. The original fabric being long gone and replaced by previous owners with some tragically bad choices. Anyway, she said "it's a color that goes through all our rooms and ties everything together...pointing out the house plants, the oriental rug in the dining room, some paintings in several rooms and that our bedroom is blue with green accents.

Then in an off handed comment..."and now you have that green bass...I didn't notice the color until it was hanging in our bedroom..." (the only place outside of the dedicated BurningSkies musical laboratory a bass is allowed to reside in perpetuity)... "And once the green bass was there, I realized how perfectly it goes with everything in the house, and how much I LOVE that color..."

To which I said, "Ah...you're redecorating the house to match my Super-P."

...And she thought for a moment and said..."Yes..."

Proof of bass-chair-rug, etc:
    IMG_1063.jpg

15. I’d like a spring update and that Green Super P would make it Super-

Love that bass. :D

BurningSkies likes this.
  16. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well, if we redecorated to match my SuperJ, we'd appear to be living in a Turkish bordello.

Attached Files:

Andyman001 and AB Nate like this.
  17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Could be worse places to live.

AB Nate likes this.
  18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Well...the walls in our dining room are shell pink...

J R Knots likes this.
  19. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Love the headstock inlay matching the body - very cool!

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    So maybe...

PSX_20200221_142119.jpg

darren1970 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021