Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Beyond the size of the control rout, you have to contend with the fact that the body is thinner there than many basses. Similar to a Super-P...it just might not have the front-to-back room to fit.

AB Nate likes this.
  2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    True! I was thinking it was bigger than a Tele rout, but not really. Does anyone make any miniscule preamps you could jam in there? I thought the Aguilar OBPs were on the small side.

3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    They are, but you also have to contend with the the battery(s) and additional wiring.

4. Challanger2

Challanger2 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Is there a reason you're looking at an on-board preamp as opposed to just putting a pedal preamp as the first item in the signal chain? Based on what I see inside my control cavity for my d-roc, fitting anything else in would be very difficult.

Waltsdog and seedokebass like this.
  5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    True. I can't say I've done any research but I wonder if anyone makes a micro preamp of some kind that would be usable and could be powered by a smaller battery or a small rechargeable cell.

6. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I haven't thought too hard and long about it, but that would definitely be an option. That's why I've been considering one of these, just haven't pulled the trigger.

Michalík Designs

After looking around, those pedals may not be available any longer. Shoot.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    next on my hotlist is the Mesa DI plus for a pedal format Pre

reddavid and seedokebass like this.
  8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Bare minimum, yeah. If you didn't take a previous build slot, orders are about 18 months, give or take. If you go with someone that has a build slot that you can take, which I suspect is maybe what anton72 did, then it can be quicker. There's a number of dealers out there with build slots you can grab, so it's worth looking around if you're in that kinda rush.

hoopchala likes this.
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To add on to what @Selta already stated; He and I put in our orders at The Bass Shop in Seattle on the same day in November of 2019. Back on 4/21/21 Chad from The Bass Shop let me know that Dingwall gave him an estimate on my Super J of three weeks. I'm no mathematician but that pencils out to tomorrow. Since I haven't heard anything yet I'm guessing it'll be a little longer but regardless I'm currently right at 18 months and it's looking like it'll happen pretty soon. I'd say the 18 month timeline is feeling pretty accurate, at least in my limited Dingwall custom shop ordering experience. @Selta makes a great point about trying to find a shop with a build slot already reserved to cut that time down if possible.

hoopchala likes this.
  10. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yeah, that's a given.
    And so I shall use it as such.
    -------
    I figure any preamp additions will be done by Mo, and only if needed. I have a love/hate thing with passive basses. I like that you can't be fiddling with the tone whenever the urge hits you, but then, I often find myself playing my AB1 and feel it's tone needs a little goose in the midrange. Then it's nice to be able to add some mids "as needed". I am though, convinced my favorite pickups are passive.

Hmmm... I'd like to see a preamp with just a +/- in the 500hz - 800hz. :thumbsup:

seedokebass likes this.
  11. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'd think that would be a much smaller pcb and could replace the passive tone control with a "Push" for active midrange / "Pull" for passive tone. DIP switches for mid center hz.

12. That’s the only control I’ve used with all my Spector basses equipped with Darkglass Tone Capsule pre ;)

johnsonabq likes this.
  13. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I finally got back to looking for the source of the buzz in my NG-3. One the ground wires at the output jack was routed in a way that it got pinched when the cable was inserted. It looked like the wire was chafed but not worn through the insulation. I re-routed the wire and all is good. I'll go back and replace that wire or just add some heat shrink or electrical tape depending...

Thanks to everyone for the help.

--jack

14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Great to hear you got it sorted and it was a discoverable issue that didn’t haunt you for too long. With that you could get some of that liquid rubber if it’s chafed in a small spot.

I want to make a, “make sure to check your jack joke”...... but, I won’t do that to ya, .. Jack.

<small cough to clear throat, shakes head at self.... walks away..:rollno:>

Andyman001 and seedokebass like this.
  15. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    :)

I owe you a beer...

--jack

AB Nate likes this.
  16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I like beer....

I’ll let you know when I’m in San Diego....

Andyman001 and JackTheRipper like this.
  17. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Who needs tinder after all .. :)

JackTheRipper and AB Nate like this.
  18. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Any good method you would recommend to improve on the drums ?

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I actually have a drum kit too...It looks fantastic when I dust it from time to time.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Andyman001, reddavid, AB Nate and 2 others like this.
  20. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    much like my Tenor Sax

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021