Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It was poorly worded

2. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    Had an idea today: what if Dingwall used a zero fret, and did away with the nut entirely? Instead of a nut, use the single “string trees” for all the strings like those from their NG-6’s that are on the EADG strings, but move them just a little closer to the zero fret. That would eliminate the finger scrape incurred during 1st fret fingering on the low string(s) due to the nut at high string, yes?

Flabzilla and Sheldon D. like this.
  3. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    These...
    141E770E-828C-4586-A7BD-D43114FE979F.jpeg

4. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    That would also greatly simplify switching to extended ranges like F#. They could even sell special sized trees to fit the larger strings and make $$$ off it, while saving money from not having the nut. Just a thought...

5. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    but the nut retains the strings in an exact, precise position. You could have all kinds of issue if the strings were left to slide free Accross the zero fret however minimal that may be.

6. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    I’d say test it on a prototype

7. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    Just thinking... you have a similar issue with .095’s on a nut cut for .110’s don’t you?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  8. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Exactly. That’s why people get alternate nuts made for different gauges of strings.
    I hear what your saying, and there maybe be some kind of new idea you can get at but I don’t think your quite there yet. Ie, maybe the “Zero fret” is notched out for the strings..... but then your just back to a nut.

at that then your potentially increasing price points on “entry level” dingwalls.
    I dunno? I’m just rolling with you on this

9. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    I’m being a bit selfish thinking along these lines because I like extended range, and aside from that, I’d like a 7 string.

10. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
  11. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    My guess is that the string would wear the zero fret quickly if held from that distance but this is a very cool idea. Cool enough to try on a prototype. Thanks :)

12. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Would you be able to make that zero fret from a harder metal to solve that issue?

seedokebass likes this.
  13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That's what I was wondering. Though different metals or fret sizes might impart particular tones, I guess it would be similar to a nut. However much that comes into play.

Waltsdog likes this.
  14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It seems to me that side-to-side movement of the strings would be minimal. Much less than picking hard near a regular bent-plate bridge. Been there, done that. :cool:

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I know a guy fabricating in titanium and a variety of other rare metals. ;)

Waltsdog likes this.
  16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    There has to be a headless Dingwall in the works, right?

17. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Kiesel ran into this issue on their early Vader guitars. Even with stainless steel frets, the string would wear a small dent or notch into the zero fret that would make noise when the open string was played.

But if I remember correctly, this was happening on the unwound strings. Wound bass strings might take much longer to wear the zero fret to the point that it would become noisy.

18. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    What you said about someone liking the Dingwall in a 4 string only model, thats me and my 4 string Combustion, wouldnt have it any other way. So now that your playing yours and noticed little differences here and there, have you noticed anything, anything at all when you 1st went to play the G# or A on the G-String? You know, with the angle of the 1st fret there and the angle of the nut. I still have a little trouble fretting that G#/1st fret sometimes, so I try to avoid it and grab that note 6th fret D string.

19. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    No, I haven't had any issues with that particular note/fret/string. I have had issues like when I was playing the intro diddy in "Money". The B power chord shape was a bit more of a stretch. Also, playing up around 9-12th position. Feels weird sometimes, almost as if the fretboard is curved or something.

20. All Sandberg basses come with zero fret and it is always thicker/higher than the other frets and always has little filed groves in it to settle the strings making it more like a metal nut.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021