Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    The best part about this place is the friends I’ve met. Some in person from the different parts of the continent.

Andyman001 likes this.
  2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Like most other music instruments (unless you're my wife, who can pick anything up and play it well... so envious of her ability to do that!), I simply got a teacher and have been having weekly lessons. A decent chunk of my "homework" ends up coming from this book if it isn't his own homework:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1540024091/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Building up all the independence has been the most difficult part so far, but, I'm certainly appreciating the instrument a TON more than I have, and, in the end, I feel like it'll allow me to be a better bassist, as well.

Andyman001 and AB Nate like this.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Officially in the club. My AB1 arrived today and it had very little adaption time. The only thing that threw me off is playing a C at the 17th fret on the G string and I played a C# because I looked only at the side dots. Oh, and I keep forgetting that the A tuner is on the bottom side.

34AE4C25-22DC-4C98-B15D-2B88BA71DD8E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  4. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Congratulations!

RichSnyder likes this.
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Congratulations - that's a nice way to join! What is the finish?

6. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Charcoal graphite, I believe is what it's called. It has a little bit of an olive drab look to it.

spiritbass likes this.
  7. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is awesome, congrats! Wenge fingerboard? And which preamp did you go with?

8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    This is the ToneCapsule preamp. At first, I was thinking DG = djent, but then I saw that the ToneCapsule is based on the Harmonic Booster and saw this video from Amos Heller. Hey, it sounds good with a P bass, ok sold!

9. Welcome to the Dingwall Club.

Very sharp bass. :woot:

RichSnyder likes this.
  10. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Still in the honeymoon period, but really liking the instrument. Also, playing this bass lets me understand why someone might want a 4 string Dingwall. The E string is really nice and would make a killer 4 EADG if you only play 4 string music. Of course, I'm ignoring the down-tuning possibilities. I like Drop D even on a 5 string. Wish I could put a D-tuner on the E string (of my fiver).

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  11. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That's how I played every 5 string I've ever owned, minus the current Combustion 5 I have.

12. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I think this can be done, you have to modify the lever on the d-tuner though.

13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Soon after I acquired my four-string NG, I put the bass horn to my head to listen to the strings. I was amazed (and my brain rattled a bit) when I plucked the E string - it's powerful. Looking forward to the fall when my four-string AB will land. :cool:

J R Knots and RichSnyder like this.
  14. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I have a cloverleaf extended lever d-tuner that I've used on another bass. I believe I got the last one hipshot made, but just looking at the back of the headstock, I'm not sure there is enough room for a d-tuner where the E string is positioned even with an extended lever.

Waltsdog likes this.
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Hipshot Xtender on my D-Bird 4, on my AB Prototype 4, had one on my SJ4, and there will be one on my ABI 4-string currently being built, so I think you should be able to do this.

16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    But what he is referring to, as I read it, is a D tuner on the E string of a 5 string bass

BurningSkies likes this.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, my bad... :confused:

18. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Sorry, I worded that post poorly. I have an AB-1 5 string, I meant to mention on how good the E string is that a four string Dingwall wouldn't be the "waste" I previously assumed.

tombowlus likes this.
  19. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Ah I didn't know they stopped making the modified ones, that's a shame. I thought I had seen a Dingwall with a xtender on the E once upon a time but I can't remember when off the top of my head.
    The 'out there suggestion' is get a treble side one and put it on backwards :D

20. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    hey, it could have been me interpreting wrong!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021