Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Markey

Markey

Apr 25, 2021
    White Rock BC
    I’m having a similar experience. Seems like dealers have a firm process for their stock orders but not our custom orders….It’s been a strange journey so far (just a few months in for me), In Sheldon We Trust I guess

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There's a firm process for custom orders as well. I think the issue with mine was because I ended up talking to Billy directly, instead of through my dealer of choice. That likely threw some sort of wrench in things. My other custom order, and @silky smoove (who ordered via the same dealer as I) both went well. I've faith in my dealer and Sheldon's crew, this is just likely an odd situation that things went sideways on because of unusual circumstances.

For clarity, I didn't intend to like, throw my dealer or Dingwall/Sheldon under the bus with my earlier post. Was more lamenting my new found delay til I get my new shiny. I have a new drumset to play with which will keep me plenty company until my next Z arrives :)

alembicbones, J R Knots and Markey like this.
  3. Exactly what I’m hoping for! :D

4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    They are very different animals!

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Especially given the quantity of shells in said drum kit! :p

Selta likes this.
  6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You should see all the cymbal madness going on right now...

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    As far as I know, the 'custom' order works like:

-Rough in your specs and work with your dealer to get the basic instrument lined up and an estimate for the work. If you have any oddball or specifics, this is the time to bring that up and your dealer will find out if it's do-able or not. Once you have that in place, you'll be asked for a deposit and you're in queue...with a very rough estimated timeline.

-Once they're closer to your build, Dingwall reaches out with an actual work-order document for you to confirm, make sure you get eyes on this and look it over personally. This means they're close to doing your actual build, and want to confirm that everything is solid. From here, you make sure they've got exactly on paper what you want. Check the fine details. If you've fussed a few things around, you'll get new pricing information on those changes. In my case, that was a switch from a flat black one-ply pickguard to a gloss 3-ply black, and I also noted that the Luminlay markers I requested didn't get noted, so that got fixed.

-When your build is complete (or nearly so) the shop will let your dealer know it's time to pay off the rest of the balance on the bass for shipping.

Sometimes there just are things that you may need to clarify with the shop directly, small details, if they can or will do certain things, if color swatches have been back and forthed, etc.. It would be best to confirm any of those with the dealer as well so everyone is in the loop and so the dealer can confirm with Dingwall what's gone on and close the loop.

Markey, Waltsdog, Selta and 2 others like this.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    @BurningSkies that's how my order at John Fox Bass has gone so far. Some messaging back and forth between he and I to rough things out, John messaging the shop to double check on certain things, then him sending me his invoice. I paid the deposit and then he set up a PayPal invoice so I can throw some money at the build as I'm waiting. About a month? 6 weeks? Some time later he sent me the order form to double-check and finalize with the shop.

Now, I'm just trying to be patient waiting. I got John's last build slot for "summer" delivery, I believe I'm looking at August.

9. Besides the obvious spec differences (neck/fingerboard profile, FDV pickups, different body shape, etc.), how would you describe them as being so different? I guess I imagined them to be more similar than different beyond said specs.

I don't have many opportunities to play a Z. And putting in an 18-month-wait blind order on an 8+k instrument seems a bit absurd. Although I'm highly tempted...

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I mean, I don't know what else CAN be different than body shape, neck shape, pickups, electronics, woods used/available, finish options. The NG and Z are both "Dingwalls" and as such have a bit of similarities, but, to me, comparing an NG and a Z would be kind of similar to trying to compare a MIA or MIJ Jazz with a MIM P.

Put another way, the venn diagram for a Z and an NG would only have a small amount of an overlap area.

11. Dingwall Sales

Dingwall Sales Commercial User

Feb 16, 2021
    Dingwall Guitars inside sales
    Hi Selta,

My name is Billy and I work in sales for Dingwall Guitars. Can you please let me know which model of bass, and which dealer you placed your order with? I can look into this to see if there is something we can do.

Thank you.

12. lol. J to P might be an extreme contrast. We're still talking about the same pickup configuration with pickups from the same manufacturer that, from reading here in this thread, or not vastly different. They're still going to sound like a Dingwall. The FDV's having a bit less output and leaning more in the traditional tonal realm being the main differences (from what I've read).

As far as woods and finish, let's assume I'll get the exact same specs. I would still probably opt for the DG pre.

So the differences that would make it a different animal would be primarily the more rounded body shape with smaller horns, a thinner neck, a flatter radius board, and more traditional pickups? I mean, sure, those are tweaks to a design, but help me understand how we're talking a totally different animal here.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, realize I have owned 3 imports (two Combutions, and a 10th Anniversary NG3), currently own one Z3, have a Z1 on order, own a Prima Artist, and have three ABs. So, I can put my hands on all of these :)

To me, they really are that different. Like I said, there is some overlap for sure, especially if you spec out a Z to only be a fancy NG. They'll both still inherently sound like a Dingwall. But, from there, they both go down different paths -- both wonderful, but also, both unique. I definitely have strong preferences for when I pick which dingwall to play :)

seedokebass likes this.
  14. You, sir, are the authority on this topic! ;) May I ask when you would choose one over the other? Is it based on genre or tone or aesthetics for the gig? I’m trying to get a sense of the character of the Z.

I feel like the Z would be the more versatile of the 2. Take it to a metal gig (like Jacob Umansky from Intervals) or a jazz gig or funk or anywhere in between. The NG seems to have a more niche designation (although still able to perform other genres fine as Claudio Rocca shows us).

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hah! Definitely not the authority :). Just a good amount of experience and privilege in owning a lot of Dingwalls!

I haven't really given it thought to put into words - it's mostly just be instinct or gut feeling. Thinking about it now though it'd go something like this:
    Feel, first. Oddly, perhaps, but I approach my playing differently on the different basses, likely because of the neck contours. So what bass will "feel better" for that band / recording / whatever is the one I pick up first.
    Next and in close second is timber/tone, but, my basses are all spec'd pretty differently. Sometimes timber/tone will be first place if a gig calls for something specific.
    Last, and in very very far third place is looks. I basically never let looks decide what bass I'm taking or playing.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Hello, Z owner, NG owner and previous AB owner. While the Z obviously has different features, they're really closely aligned in terms of overall Dingwallness. The neck is thinner, the body is a bit thinner and more sculpted. You have some options not available on other models. But you wouldn't be surprised with radical differentness. Sort of think of it as more but more of the good stuff.

They're all apples from the same tree.

muggsy, spiritbass and Scott McArron like this.
  17. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Any Super J 5 owners that also have a Combustion model?

I'm so enamored with my new Super J, I'm also considering trying other Dingwalls. Primarily the Combustion NG3 model.

But the scale lengths on the two model are quite different. Can any owners of both models tell me about what it's like transitioning between the two?

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I don't have any trouble going between them. They both feel entirely natural.

phillipkregg likes this.
  19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The two major differences to me are the string spacing and the scale length/reach. I find the most difficult part of transitioning between the two is the string spacing (19mm at the bridge on the SJ5, 18mm on the Combustion). My preference is 18mm, but I have grown accustomed to the 19mm. There are times when I have to play certain parts that require string skipping/octaves and I know I would have an easier time on 18mm.

Another big difference is the reach. The SJ5 feels about two positions shorter than the super long scale models. In that respect, it makes it really comfortable to play both seated and standing, especially for long gigs. One of the drawbacks to that is the upper fret access can be a bit hindered. Not only is it a little hindered by the bass body, but also your physical body when you're standing.

As for sound, it really is a toss-up and a matter of preference. You won't beat the 37" scale B-string. On the other hand, the punch of a 32" G-string is nice too. If it would be playable (and I am pretty sure it wouldn't be), I would love the clarity of the super long scale on the bass strings and the warmth and punch of the medium scale on the treble strings. That would be 5" fan, which would make it too extreme.

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    If you're a slapper, you might also appreciate the wider string spacing of the Supers more.

SemiDriven likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021