Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Actually I find myself using floating thumb much more with all my Dingwalls than I used to previously. Perhaps it's because you need to play across the strings and an angle too so you're not increasingly playing right at the bridge as you go down to the higher strings.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Excellent point.

AB Nate likes this.
  3. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    pretty much my sentiments.

If I’m not paying attention and have swapped to the super from a long scale I find myself about a tone off on the lower part of the neck.

I notice the spacing closer to zero and the scale up to about the 12th

the one thing I will add is that the B is obviously different IMO.

Not in a bad way.
    The long scale B speaks like no other B.
    It’s articulation, definition.... punctuation(?) is more clear and well spoken then one is used to from a B

The Super B is still well defined accurate but it’s less “well spoken” then the long scale but it seems to have more thump. More full and big bottom end.

4. Markey

Markey

Apr 25, 2021
    White Rock BC
    Thanks for sharing this, feeling much better about my order. Cheers!

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My NG is a four-string, so the string spacing is the same as my SJ-5. No problems at all transitioning...

phillipkregg likes this.
  6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Yes, you definitely want to try more Dingwalls! Eventually, you’ll sell all your straight basses to make it happen! We can help with that!

String spacing would trip me up more than scale length when switching between a longscale and Super 5. But only for as long as it took to get warmed up and playing.

I’m sticking to four string Dingwalls now days, so they are all 19mm spacing. Now I notice the scale length. Mostly I notice when I switch to the Super P and it just feels so nice and fast and compact.

Not that I’d give up the AB or Dbird, the longscales are awesome fun too.

Number of strings is the biggest difference. If I wanted to make the six string work, it had to be all six, all the time. Mostly because muting techniques and the brain rewire took a lot of time to dial in.

phillipkregg likes this.
  7. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    It took me less time to go from 5 to 6 than from 4 to 5.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    playability you pretty much covered with the neck profile and specs although there is a bit of difference in how they hang too. Not much but just a slight bit to be noticeable IMO.

When you start looking for reasons to justify the cost difference, for some it’s easy others not so much.

do you want a bass that has your fingerprint on it? Is it worth tricking out a production model increasing your costs there or going further yet to a custom Canadian built bass? Is the added refinement justifiable?

for me the answer is yes. On a six string I absolutely love the neck. It is the best six string neck I think ever made. No I haven’t played some other boutique necks(such as skjold) so I cannot verify that but the scale combined with the Z neck is magic. The AB necks which are more similar to the NG are also incredible, just meatier.

diving into the differences can be done on the website.
    Bass Specs | Dingwall Guitars

But to offer some up here.
    The sound.
    The NG is designed to be big, loud and in your face. Sure it can be molded to a different nature but the electronics, hardware, wood spec and finish is designed with specific purpose. To be Nollied.
    The Z can be configured how ever you chose varying the wood specs and electronic.... and appearance.

The Bridge.
    This is a big one IMO. I love the Z bridge with its recessed sustain block and precision adjustments. There is definitely more going on with it and it does perceptibly affect the tone. It is significantly different then the NG bridge pieces. They are top mounted, lightweight and not built into the integral fundamental of the instruments construction. High mass vs low mass. Both have pros and cons. The NG bridge(low mass) brings the immediate snap and attack or most low mass bridge set ups where as..... in my perception, the Z bridge brings more depth, resonance to the tone.

The pick ups.
    Obvious. FD3 4n vs Canadian built options. FD3,FDV,and what seems to be the often overlooked underdog the SF2s. I need to get me a set I think.
    Different flavors. I speculate the NG/combustion pick ups are higher output but not as rich in the specified model flavor. More texture can be found in the Canadian options.

the electronics.
    A DG is a DG. You’ve already shown interest in the DG which is a solid choice and the main differences you’ll find with this is the ability to get the 3x series/parallel switches installed from the shop vs aftermarket. That and the volume being push/pull vs the NG toggle.

the jack.
    However minor it may be. I like the Nuetrik vs the NG recessed. Every time I get an NG I’m like, “shag, gotta change my cords around” as it’s the only bass that won’t take a common angle jack, which I prefer.

the head stock.
    the Z has an Engineered headstock to not require the string retainer. It’s sexier. It also can be matching to the body exotic wood. The D is an inlay vs a watermark.

The woods.
    I believe they make a difference in tone. Others do not. You do you.
    The NG is specific to alder body(ash on combustion currently), maple/maple

Neck.
    The Z offers just about any wood spec dingwall will offer. I’m curious on the new ovankol necks and I used to love my walnut necks but I have really come to adore the wenge necks. The stability is unparalleled. The feel is luscious. And the tone is clean, articulate, forcefully defined Albeit perhaps more scooped then Maple. The maple necks are no slouch and IMO have a more open effect throughout the mids on the tone.
    Profile you’ve already discussed.

fretboard.
    Wood options. You have wood options. Yada, yada, tone, yada, yada, appearance, etc.
    with that you can also choose from a variety on inlays. Blocks, speedos, dots.

Body.
    Base spec for a Z is dual density(2 separate pieces) of Ash. The NG being alder.
    With that, the Z is customizable. You can incorporate walnut, maple, alder, ash, northern ash and perhaps something else I’ve forgotten. Maybe black limba now with the introduction of it in the D roc?
    Appearance and tone woods. My latest build has a Ash/alder body wood combo.

do you believe contrast layers affect the tone? Well wether you do or you don’t you can add some. Wenge or maple perhaps to really make a top pop off the body? Purple Heart for some color added to a shadowy bass?

X tops. Of course this is where your personal desires really leave a fingerprint on the bass built. How do you want that beaut to look?
    Is your X too for tone, is it purely because you love burls???? Do you want to bleach it or paint it or both??
    Can’t do any of that stuff with an NG.

Then there is the subtle slash BOLD refinement.
    The body contours.
    The increased level of quality. All the way down to the battery access hatch. It’s more refined on a Canadian model. The knobs(hot topic).

finally perhaps(?). The finish. The finish used on the Z is different. I cannot recall technical terms at the moment but not only does it look and protect differently, I again believe the finish affects the tone. I would love a satin Z to compare and contrast my other ones.

So there you have it. I’m sure I’ve forgot something but this is a small summary of some model discrepancies which may help you decide your priorities and level of investment.

muggsy, ckevinwelch, BrBss and 11 others like this.
  9. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Wow..... that was a long one.

1983L2000, seedokebass and dirkhh like this.
  10. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    That's a wiki article... you should consider moving it there :)

11. :laugh: That's for sure! But much appreciated, my brother! :thumbsup:

I can pour over specs on the website over and over again, but getting somebody's experience on it is so much more valuable.

At the moment, I'm planning a Z3-6 with Swamp Ash body, wenge neck. I may still opt for the Glockenklang pre, because as you said, it provides the options of series/parallel on all the pickups where the DG does not (which I wasn't aware of before, thx!). I'm hoping this will keep me somewhere in J-bass territory which is the tone I've grown accustomed to over the years (using Sadowsky's, Lull's, and occasionally Fenders of various types). The wenge, though, I'm not familiar with being a player of more classic Fender wood instruments and sometimes ebony (like my Strandberg). Haven't delved into the exotics.

The part I haven't decided yet is which X-top to go with and whether or not it will "need" a contrast layer. I do love natural wood tops, and a satin finish would be quite lovely... That purple reverse-burst over burl maple with wenge contrast has certainly caught my eye, but it's been done many times over already. Hmm...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    seedokebass and AB Nate like this.
  12. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    oh no, you CAN get the switches with a DG pre as well. What you do NOT get with the DG is a passive tone control. The glockenklang treble knob doubles as a passive tone control where as the dark glass has no passive control. It’s just flat.

Here in Calgary we have some of the most swinging weather in the world. Temp and humidity can be all over the place thanks to our chinooks. The wenge is not phased by this at all. It is noticeable with maple.
    You’ll here the difference. The NG will come across as more powerful IME but louder doesn’t mean better.

If your gonna paint over an X top and burst dark to the perimeter a contrast layer doesn’t add much to the appearance unless maybe you get them to Pin stripe it. My latest build I didn’t bother for that reason but my previous ones I did utilize contrast layers.

I think your right. I love the looks of those bleached maple tops with the bursts and it’s a signature dingwall finish but it’s a bit over done now.

they often recommend the bleaching for that but I actually prefer a non bleach top painted more often. Both have a place.

Scott McArron likes this.
  13. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    I happen to own a Z2-6 with Ash body, Wenge neck (CORRECTION: Maple neck with Wenge fretboard), Glockenklang pre, a stunning quilted Maple top... and the Jazz sounds that this baby can produce are sometimes more "Jazz" then my Fender Jazz bass :)

But you can also get the punchy P-bass sound, and even something that rivals my Spector. It took me quite a while to actually wrap my mind around the breadth of sound you can get from this bass. And, to be honest, I'm sure I have only scratched the surface so far (while trying not to scratch that finish)
    PXL_20210325_195852256.jpg

muggsy, Sheldon D., Flabzilla and 6 others like this.
  14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Does that beauty actually have a wenge neck or maple neck with wenge fretboard? I thought it was the latter

dirkhh likes this.
  15. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Ouch, you are right. Maple neck with Wenge fretboard. I misspoke. I think I can still edit the previous post...

AB Nate likes this.
  16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I also didn't touch on the switching options but there are 2 as you probably know. The D bird switch and 3x switch. It seems like the 6 way switch is a popular mod which I have been tempted by..... I’m not sure I need more options though.

SemiDriven likes this.
  17. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I am constantly surprised at how well my Dingwall can replicate the sound of a PBass - albeit on steroids.

J R Knots, dirkhh and AB Nate like this.
  18. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Is it my eyes, or does the upper horn go back towards the head a bit at the point where it reaches the body ?
    Which the modern Zs do not seem to do ..

19. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    It appears to a bit. Maybe an optical illusion. There seems to be way more real estate between the pickups and the neck on my 99 Z2 fiver, but it's a 21 fret as opposed to 24.

Z2 5 and 6.jpg

20. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    My '01 Z1 has yet another different shape (with the cello hip). I think those Canadian builds in the end are all hand made - they of course start out with a stencil for the shape, but I don't think they come out exactly the same shape - and in your picture you are comparing a 5er to a 6er as well - their upper horns are noticeably different between my two as well.

Looking at the side-by-side a little more... another thing that's confusing there is the perspective. Check how much / how little of the strap button is visible. My picture is more from "above", yours is more from "below". Which in return changes the perceived shape of the horns.

Jeff Roller and AB Nate like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021