Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I don’t think it’s coming today. :(

FedEx, why you leave my bass sitting in Chandler AZ for three frickin’ days?

2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Give it a few weeks of exploration. The DGTC responds to very minute adjustments and has quite a lot of range to explore.
    One thing I believe I’ve noted over the years is the long scales can be a bit deceiving on the bottom end. As in they don’t seem to thump as hard as a shorter scale bass but they do hit really hard.
    The difference is that there is so much more note articulation in the low end that you HEAR more then your accustomed to in the lower register. The beef is still there it’s just more textured and defined. Added auditory vs just feeling.

On a similar situation with my Mesa Subway 15s. I Was a 10s guy forever. I would have sworn that my subway 210 with 115 was hitting harder then 215. After doing some testing the back room there was a distinct winner and it was the 215s. From the rest of the house the results were obvious. The 15s just open up so much more in the voicing that the beef was blowing right past me while the cabs were singing, where as the 210 offered an in your face kick but dissipated further out. I didn’t expect the performance out of the 15s and had to retrain my ears to understand the differences.
    Anyways, sorry for the not totally relatable tangent.

SemiDriven and seedokebass like this.
  3. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    You make such a good point about your speaker size comparison and now I fully understand what was going on when I was using my Fender Neo115 cab in my little music room here at the house and just thought I was *missing* something, and that was the immediate up front kick/punch in the tummy I thought I should be hearing, but I wasn't. So I bought the Hartke 2x10 HyDrive cab and now I get my kick in the tummy. I wonder what the neighbors were feeling when I had the 15" cab and wasnt happy with it and all that BEEF/PORK/CHICKEN had a place to go.

seedokebass likes this.
  4. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I haven’t looked into the Adam at all but I do assume it utilizes cab sims.

Perhaps your fav sim to represent your tangible cabinets doesn’t really apply the same via head phones or perhaps with the dingwall a different real cab and or sim is more appropriate.
    All are components to your sound and make an impact.

seedokebass and IvanBassist like this.
  5. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Just finished reading it all, cool studio you have, plus it seems to have been a funny adventure building it :)
    I'm currently building one too, but I'll just make the acoustic treatment myself given the retail prices of those things.

6. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Covid has screwed up all shipping. Nobody is running on time. smh

seedokebass likes this.
  7. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've generally had good luck on various shipments for things over the last year but lately it's been running late a day or more. They're slipping!

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! I certainly wouldn't call the build experience funny. More like stressful, time consuming, expensive, and left me with more than my fair share of scrapes and bruises :p

9. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    Took time for one quick picture, then...well, I’ll be busy all day. :D

EABBB3AE-8F31-4CBE-8E7C-2A43F09914B6.jpeg

10. To come full circle on my new NG3-6 and the “growl/grind”. I gave it a good setup. Needed a truss rod adjustment, a little action tweak, intonation, and lowering the pickups a TON to get the recommended 1/8” min. distance (the pups are almost bottomed out on the treble side to achieve that, fwiw).

The result is that it sounds a lot better than before. The low end still really growls but now it’s only when I dig in or slap. Can remain clear with a light to medium touch. I dig. :cool:

I’m pretty sure that my destiny includes a Z3-6 at some point. I prefer a flatter radius on the plucking side (like the Z’s compound radius) and from the description of the FDV’s in comparison, I feel like those might be more up my alley, being more traditional and less aggressive. And the looks of the Z can probably more comfortably fit into a wider range of gigs aesthetically speaking. And I do a range of gigs, that’s for sure!

In the interim, I’m glad to have this puppy without the 18+ month waiting period that the Z’s have! Is a fun addition to the arsenal. I’m almost ready to remove the plastic. :D 0403B5E8-5862-45E1-8C61-F54B9286AFED.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  11. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Glad to hear you’ve dialed in something that works for you. :thumbsup:

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, there was some sort of unfortunate breakdown somewhere with my order... it never got finalized somehow. There were a lot of back and forth on email about the order, and I'm not sure how it wasn't finalized, but, here we are.
    So, just yesterday, I think it's actually finalized now. No idea what this means for my order timeline though... I'm guessing that means it's at least a couple/few months out at this point. Kinda sorta bummed.

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Sorry to hear it. Maybe I better check mine, too, as I never got a confirmation of timing from the dealer....

BurningSkies likes this.
  14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    As far as I know, Dingwall doesn't actually provide timelines or estimates really. Just work with your dealer and ensure your order has been finalized / accepted by Dingwall, would be my suggestion.

AB Nate likes this.
  15. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    I had a similar issue with pickup height on my NG, which is an identical twin to yours by the way. Luckily mine was condensed into a demonstration by my dealer as he adjusted the pickup heights for me when I picked up the bass.

As far as needing a Z3, well, yes, in a sense I think we all do. It’s just a higher tier bass. But for covering a wider range of gigs I think if you swap the carbon fiber pickguard to something more traditional a black NG should have pretty similar range. Maybe swap the pickups to FDVs or Nordstrand big splits. Or use “not wanting to do mods” as an excuse to get a Z. :laugh:

Anyway congrats on that thing, I really love mine!

Scott McArron and spiritbass like this.
  16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    The Z series is an entirely different animal. Different body shape, different neck shape (which I vastly prefer), more options (such as toggles for each pickup, which is massive) and so on.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I’ve found that I use my plucking hand differently on my 3X than on my other Jazz basses which are both traditional J+J. I’ve never been a floating thumb player but I’ve found myself doing just that on my 3X Super J quite naturally. Funny how different instruments can make you play differently without much effort at all.

18. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply it wasn’t. I meant an NG could have a similar range in terms of aesthetic appropriateness, related to the post I quoted.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

I knew you could get there. Because I've been using a stock NG3 for a number of years and no one would ever accuse my tone of having growl or grind. If I want some texture on the top end, I push a bit of the high mid, but other than that I get a big round clean tone out of it. I also wonder if a big part of the equation is what you're feeding the NG into...sometimes the Preamp/Amp is what's emphasizing that stuff.

On the low strings, it's probably the fact that the low strings & lower notes have more upper harmonic content. As always, our ears read that additional content above as meaning less down low. THere's plenty down low.

20. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, it's the stock "18 months" for timing, but the dealer simply confirmed receipt of funds last year with a promise to communicate with the shop. I never got a follow-up as to it having been confirmed/the clock starting. So your post got me thinking about if and when those 18 months started.

Selta likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021