Do I Deserve a Boutique Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 6, 2021.

1. I’m sure it’s been said already, but...

“Deserve’s got nothing to do with it.”

dasherf17 likes this.
  2. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    If all that I have is based on what is deserved, I doubt I would be typing this.

Neill Graham and Bass Man Dan like this.
  3. A big plus is that the OP has actually been able to play a Dingwall and thus knows what he’s getting into. So often with boutique instruments it’s buying without trying.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Life is short. You can't take it with you. Make yourself happy.

Neill Graham and Rezdog like this.
  5. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    yes

6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, if I had the bass I deserved, it would be a bass that made me stop playing bass.

Bartrinsic likes this.
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Seriously. They will make more, I'm pretty sure.

Bass Viking likes this.
  8. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Got the dinero? Get the Camaro.

Beej likes this.
  9. Blueinred

Blueinred 21st century Genz-Benz guy Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    This will work for a polka gig.

Raa3b82cbb246f91add4068aa89d9f263?rik=2uik7310SaKR%2bw&pid=ImgRaw.jpg

Mr. Jiggy Fly, mikewalker and DrMole like this.
  10. An AB-1 is not a "boutique" bass - per se, but an extremely well made, playing, functioning bass that has extremely good value per cost. I consider them a Lexus of basses. I have had, FBass, Spector, Lakland, and the Dingwall AB1-5 is my sweetest bass. I gig with it and my FrankenFender.
    Go and buy it, they are getting scarce. IMG_0082.JPG
    I forgot to mention, I modded it with big singles and an OBP-3.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    dasherf17 likes this.
  11. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    That has always been my view. I will never reach the heights of Stanley Clarke or Jimmy Johnson who are alembic players but i have basses the same models as both of them play and i enjoy playing them. I saved hard for them, and i consider them they are my personal reward to myself for my life in music. Life is too short as it is, to the OP, if you can afford it and it's what you want, why fight it?

12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

If you can afford it without doing yourself financial injury,have at it.

jazzyvee likes this.
  13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Life’s short, do it! :thumbsup:

jazzyvee likes this.
  14. If I can say ANYTHING helpful, it's to say "yes"...music is the passion, you want the best sound coming from "you"...it's your desire...do it...yes, you (as we all) deserve a boutique bass...again, do it...

15. I like that angle...you hear different tones from a higher end bass, inspiring a different approach to your part. Nice!

StevieMac and jazzyvee like this.
  16. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    Speaking for myself.... if you will put hours on it, it makes you feel good .... buy it. Think of it as a forever bass and not think about the resale value later on, because if you think of it that way you’ll always have that messing up your mind. I have found that a good bass, wood , electronics, hardware and add a custom neck is what I’ve done. When “everyone “ says it plays awesome or.... it’s the neck they are talking about right ???

17. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    I was just about to ask, 'what are those pups'--Nice! Keep it locked up if you see me around!

Rockbobmel likes this.
  18. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    To add a word or two .... talking with my wife one day and she was pretending to listen to my rambling of bass talk and then she said something!! It was like.... “ hey don’t violins and those big basses cost a fortune “
    ?? “ My cousin had a violin that cost big bucks and she was in high school” So, is ( whatever the amount of $ I was talking about ) really that much for a custom guitar ?? She had a point ya know.

BlueTalon and dasherf17 like this.
  19. There's an old saying: "Folks don't always get what they deserve." So... if you have a chance to get one and you really really need it to quell that clenched up whirlpool in your gut, go for it! I am really impressed that other people want you to play for them!:thumbsup: You need a good sounding piece of wood to give the respect you feel in that gift you have. Wish I could hear some of your music sometime.

dasherf17 likes this.
  20. Nordstrand will wind Big Singles with the poles in reverse also. I got these here on a trade (I think) and they work perfectly.

Bartrinsic likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021