Do I Deserve a Boutique Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 6, 2021.

1. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Remember to disclose this again if and when you put that bass up for sale here ;)

2. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I had a friend back in the day who always made me feel bad about buying nice basses. Do what brings you joy. You don't have to be Victor Wooten to enjoy a fodera.
    I'm not an outstanding player by any stretch, I'm certainly not in a financial situation to justify having so much tied up in instruments I don't need, but looking at my bass wall brings me a ton of joy and that is worth it to me.

SgtHulka likes this.
  3. ueezb

ueezb

Jun 8, 2020
    Germany
    c'mon, your username is baddarryl, not reasonabledarryl. buy it!

baddarryl, chris_b, DrMole and 5 others like this.
  4. What an odd thought process. Unless there’s a shortage of running shoes how are you depriving someone else?

BlueTalon and DrMole like this.
  5. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    I Believe You should get as much as you can Afford!! if you were just starting out & like 12 yrs old, I d say get the most inexpensive bass out there, but if you're older & able to afford a nice (boutique) bass, get one! It took me a couple of years of serious shedding & learning how to set up my bases to reward myself with a "Nice" Bass, after a series of inexpensive models before I treated Myself with a "Good" Bass, It motivated me to get in the shed even more and just to pick it up A lot more. I mentioned A while ago, I have a Stiletto with an unwieldy thick neck! that actually hurt me, gave me a bursitis bump on my thumb knuckle! so i started to avoid playing! I got so fed up I Finally decided to Treat myself to "righteous" Bass that was 180° from the torture bass!! Its adream to play! I t was a Kinda a kit Build,a custom warmoth Built to my spec! Sounds great, Plays even better! Yeah it was a expensive,but it was built over time (1 year) but it was a blast t build! and is still in progress! So Great Im thinking of building another!! So I'm totally with you Get what you want ( afford)! you'll enjoy playing more,so you ll play more, thus making you a better player! do it!

StevieMac likes this.
  6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    No, you don’t deserve it, but you want it, so buy it.

7. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    as your therapist, buy it

PWRL likes this.
  8. This is Talkbass - of course the answer is ”Yes! You deserve it! Just don’t forget to post a NBD.” ;)

9. DESERVE'S GOT NOTHIN' TO DO WITH IT

StevieMac and Son of Wobble like this.
  10. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    If you like it, get it. Life is too short. Do what you feel not what you think others would think!

StevieMac likes this.
  11. I believe we live in a culture of guilt. The OP asking whether he deserves a bass reinforces my belief.

DrMole, ueezb and JimmyM like this.
  12. Do it. If you’ve never owned a botique bass before I think there’s value in doing so as long as you’re being financially responsible. I’ve owned many botique basses over the users including Zon, MTD, Skjold, Roscoe and I currently have none. In the end they didn’t provide anything, for me, that my current basses don’t but I wouldn’t have known that without trying them and I may still feel inexplicably limited by my cheaper instruments (my current setup is waaaaaay ahead of my capability). Don’t get me wrong, these basses I mentioned were impeccable but there are tons of basses at about $1000-$1500 that will get you 95% of the way there. I wouldn’t have believed that unless I had experienced it.

For the price of a “nice bass” I recently bought a guitar tube head, 2x12 cabinet and baritone guitar which will help my creativity more than any new bass.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Looking down at 12th fret and up was a little weird, but that was the only thing that stood out.

BurningSkies and JimmyM like this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Not sure I'd call it a culture of guilt, but I myself have a better appreciation of the plight of others than I've had in the past.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. Bass Viking's rule to live by: "Don't ever feel guilty about the less fortunate because there's always somebody better off than you." :D

16. If you can afford it , buy it . Higher quality basses will highlight your playing flaws, ( my Alembic did ) but it will force you to work on your technique .

17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    upload_2021-5-7_14-6-35.jpeg

DrMole and Passinwind like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    As do I, but I can't help that and buying an expensive bass that I may want isn't going to change anyone's plight.

DrMole and RichSnyder like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Same here. My friend who has a dingwall told me not to look at it, and that's fine until you get to the 12th fret. And then no matter what happened, I got very very confused.

Hoyt likes this.
  20. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    IMHO, if you have the funds and you want it, you should get it. Life is short.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021