Do I Deserve a Boutique Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 6, 2021.

1. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    baddarryl -

We are waiting for pics of your new Dingwall bass. Thanks in advance.

2. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    You do not.

3. Yes.

4. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    There is no such thing as “deserve.” It suggests there is some arbiter who decides what happiness is worth, and whether each of us has earned enough of it.

If you like it and can afford it, get it.

And maybe even if you can’t afford it. Life is short. There are no pockets in the shroud.

Be happy.

bholder likes this.
  5. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I didnt read any of the above. But Yes. if it makes you happy, you deserve it! even if youre just playing smells like teen spirit with your friends in the garage

6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Play the best bass you can afford, and if you're lucky enough to find basses that really fit you all the better. Know also that an AB1 Afterburner may seem expensive by comparison to other basses but it is no more expensive than a midrange upright or trumpet, Pedal Steel, etc.

I have certain reservations about hoarding and collecting, but that's my hangup and there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a fine instrument. Further, those who purchase these high end basses -especially smaller company instruments- are funding instrument innovation and supporting luthiers, and they eventually feed the used market that folks like me have benefited from.

7. If you aren’t good to you, who will be?

BlueTalon and klyph like this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    It's not about what you deserve, it's about what you negotiate.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yes, especially a Dingwall.
    I tried a Super J a while back and was very
    impressed. Also fanned frets were easy to get use to.
    Just Do It!

10. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    That's actually an easy answer. If you like it and would like to play it, you'll find yourself practicing with it a lot and of course that will raise your skill. But more importantly you'll enjoy playing music on it and that's what endears an instrument to you. I have such a relationship with my '82 maple-neck MIA passive Jazz. Just love it!

And, if you have people that want you to play for them, you must be doing something right. So, if you can "almost" afford it, GET THAT BASS!

I have an attitude about buying things like musical instruments and gear. It's called, "Get the best that you can't really quite afford". That way it hurts when you spend money, but it only hurts once. Then, every time you play it, you'll be glad you spent the extra money for it because it is such a pleasure to play. If you opt for a cheaper bass or just make do, you would be glad you didn't spend the extra money the day that you bought it, but, every time you'd play it you'd be wishing you spent the extra $$ for the one your really wanted. So, it's kind of "it hurts once or it hurts every time I play it." Just get over pain the one time and be glad you did from here on out!

BlueTalon likes this.
  11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I know!

12. If you can afford it, why not? If you really can’t afford it, then don’t . Asking TBers is a bit goofy.

13. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    lol BLUNT

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes...But don't think I'll be buying a pre-owned bass from him, if only because of the visual

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  15. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, but only you can answer that question. If you want it, get it and surely don't care about what anyone else might think !!!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  16. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Baddarryl you should think deeply about this. Design, construction, sound etc.
    Ok time's up. Life is short. Go buy your new Dingwall and enjoy life. :)

Rezdog

Son of Wobble likes this.
  17. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Late to the game and I didn't read all of this thread, so my apologies if I am repeating something someone else has said. But maybe I can add something. Right now I am on the other side of this equation.

It was a long term dream of mine to own a Carl Thompson. I first heard about him in the early 1980s way before Primus hit. Since then, I have owned 4 of Carl's instruments. After 15 awesome years with them, I have just recently put the last of those up for sale.

For me it wasn't so much a question of whether I deserved them or not. It was more about achieving a goal. It was also about learning first hand the difference between a bass costing multiple thousands of dollars and a bass costing a few hundred dollars. There are many differences and I will not go into them. I am sure someone already has.

Now that I have achieved that particular goal, I am ready to move on. Continuing to hang on to the golden ring strikes me in some sense as living in the past. It also strikes me as perhaps closing the door on future opportunities and goals.

I hold not a shred of regret about buying or selling these instruments. I climbed the mountain and found out what it was like. Now I'm ready for the next mountain.

YMMV, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2021
    RickC likes this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    th.jpeg

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If someone in your house takes up piano (or cello, or bassoon, or....), and you buy even a modest upright for them to learn on, you'll soon recognize that a Dingwall is a cheap instrument. If you can afford it, and if it inspires you to want to practice more, it's a worthwhile investment.

DrMole, Passinwind and Son of Wobble like this.
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Ask your wife.

If you are single just ask your wallet.

I don't really care either way.

StevieMac likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021