1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you call your bass a guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Beton_Soldat, May 12, 2011.

1. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    I'm just curious how many people say for instance "I need to fix my guitar" as opposed to "I need to fix my bass". Anytime I say guitar instead of bass my drummer usually points it out right away and I'm like 'Same ****' but I'm curious if anyone else does it lol

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't. And I really dislike it when someone else refers to my bass as my guitar.

3. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    its actually a guitar. a bass guitar. the 6 string is called a tenor guitar. just like a bass clarinet or alto clarinet. its the same instrument in a different octave. johnny a.

4. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    I say guitar when I'm talking to people that wouldnt know the difference between a bass and a 6 string guitar.

5. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Either one will do for me.

6. No, but I play both. When I mention my instruments to non-musicians they frequently say, "Well, they're both the same thing to me." I simply continue the conversation referring to my guitars OR my basses until they get the point that I don't mix the two groups.

7. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I usually call it my bass, but if i'm with my band I often call it my instrument.

"hey could you pass me my instrument?"

8. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't as well. It really bothers me when people call it a guitar

9. Doelle

Doelle

Jul 22, 2009
    Ã…rhus, Denmark
    Most people I talk with know the difference or fake to know it, so I will usually just call it bass.

When with the band I call them by the brand. Just cause I have more than one. And my Morris is still called Morris when it's alone at rehearsel :)

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I know. Just don't like it when non-musicians confuse the two, so I like to keep them separate.

11. I say "guitar" to people that can't tell the difference.

12. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    When talking to other band members i call it 'her' or 'she'. My ex got pissed of once cuz i was talkin 2 sum1 about my bass n sed 'shes my baby' n she thought i ment her...

But to random hero's and the public i call it Bass :)

13. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    its a guitar. Get over it.

14. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    either way............still brings the LOW

15. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    i say who cares. call it a tuna.

16. Yes sometimes it is a form of guitar and do not have any issue referring to them as such. But normally I just say my bass.

17. Rattle Head

Rattle Head

Apr 9, 2011
    I always say base guitar. Covers pretty much everything.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I swing both ways. Amongst musical types, I usually call it a bass. The other night when I was loading up for a gig, my wife asked me if I had everything, and I responded "All I have to grab is my guitar."

19. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you call your car a truck? :)

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I drive a pick me up truck, but have been known to say "I left something in the car." A motorized conveyance by any other name......