1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you use Tubes or Solid State?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geezer Brown, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Solid State

42.2%
  2. Tube

22.0%
  3. Hybrid

30.1%
  4. PA/DI/Pre+Power amp setup

5.7%
  1. So after the awesome turnout of my last poll, I got even more curious as to what type of amp you guys use. So tell us what type you use for your PRIMARY rig and why! I want to hear everyone's opinions :D
    I'm a tube-lover myself, but have been considering solid state and hybrid stuff lately.

Thank you for voting! :bassist:

2. Hybrid: A Carvin BX1500! I have another BX1500 for a backup that I put into my Carvin RC210 (too out the old R600 III).

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I use solid state. I am not not anti tubes but I like to streamline my rig for load-in/out since I like to gig. My MarkBass head weighs 8 pounds and fits in a backpack, so it is much better to carry than a 100 pound SVT-CL I used to gig. Tonally I much prefer the MarkBass but that is all subjective. At the end of the day only one person on a gig truly cares what your tone sounds like, yourself, everybody just wants to hear the bass they could give two ***** what it sounds like unless it sounds REALLY ******. This applies to guitar as well, contrary to what gui****s think.

I get the praise for tubes, there is a certain warmth to them, but cost vs return is how I view it and the cost of lugging a giant amp around is not worth my personal return. I also think I can get a fantastic SS sound, I have no tonal needs.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I have three all-tube rigs:

• '91 Ampeg SVT-II nonpro into a Berg NV610 cab
    • '73 Ampeg V4B into a matching Fliptops sealed 4x10 cab
    • '73 Ampeg B25B into a matching LDS sealed 4x10 cab
    I also will be obtaining a Trace Elliot V4 head next week.

I would say my main rig at this time is the SVT-II/NV610 rig. Why? Well, for me, it provides the tone, the feel, and the oomph that I like!

5. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I use SS now due to weight; I used hybrids before that. Recently I was charged to repair an ART Tube MP unit and I discovered in research that it can be used for a pedalboard preamp. I'm thinking that this might make me a bit happier with my SS micro head. Whaddya think?

My primary rig is a TC Electronic BH250 micro and a Hartke 410 cab.

6. I split usage 50/50 between a Peavey VB-2 and either a GK 800RB or 400RB. Depends on the gig and music being played. I like ss for my P with flats and tubes for the roundwould J, 6 string and Turner RB-4 fretless.

I also have a blackface Showman (85 watts) for certain small gigs as well if I need a vintage-y sound.

7. Yes, both work much better than flaying my fingers on the strings to make a noise.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    your average non musician in the crowd isn't going to care if your amp is all tube or not. be nice to your back and get a hybrid or ss amp.

9. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Acoustic 370 and ampeg svt450 for the last 3 years. I did a show with a mesa400+ which was awesome too but primary rig is solidstate as of now.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Well, I'll use what's most appropriate to maintain my feel and tone across a variety of acts and venues. Couple of examples...

Tubes: VT-22

SS: Carvin MB10

Pre/power: SVT-BSP -> QSC USA 850

Hybrid: Add my Hughes and Kettner BATT in front of any of the SS amps above.

And that's not even getting into the 300w tubers... :D

11. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Used a hybrid Eden for years and years, but currently using a GK 1001RBii and it sounds great with my Spectors.

I would love to try tubes sometime, but I don't know that I want to deal with the maintenance aspect.

12. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    PF-350 into two SVT-210AV's. I'm sure tubes rock....but they're God-Awful expensive...

13. bb5000

bb5000

May 30, 2006
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    Tube amps for live gigs + a spare SS micro top (never needed to use it).

Why ? Sounds , looks and feels good. After having used graphic EQ's, preamps and stuff, all I need is a simple tone stack nowadays to get the preferred sound. Weight ? Not an issue. Maintenance ? Not an issue.

14. solid state, I've always had my warwick rig, and now I've got a PF-500, similar EQ's, nice weight, damn good tone, can't really argue with any of that.

15. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I <3 TOOBZ. In all seriousness, I just like the sound and feel of my Mesa 400+ over every other amp that I've tried. I don't push it into power tube drive though. The amp on stage is for my personal pleasure and the sound guy is there for everyone else. I just prefer hearing my Mesa behind me.

16. Solid state (Walter Woods Ultra) & hybrid (Genz Benz Streamliner 900). I think I prefer the WW though I'm still working with the GB to dial in exactly what I'm after.

17. Thor2

Thor2

Sep 30, 2006
    Tube for me. Love the tone and feel. But the weight is inconvenient, especially for the load-ins with lots of stairs. For those who switched from tubes to SS, which heads most closely got you to the tone/feel that you loved in your old tube amp?

18. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    My answer is YES!

19. DRock88

DRock88

Jul 10, 2013
    Solid State. I dialed my RPM to a tone I'm really happy with. I find the absence of tubes satisfying because there's little to no worry regarding my tone being consistent from rehersal to gig to gig to studio to gig to gig. I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything in my tone. I'm sure if I went out and spent the money on a high end tube amp it'd sound great, but for the price, weight, maintenance, I certainly am not worried about what I'm "missing"

20. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know that you can get that from a totally SS amp. Some claim the Aguilar ToneHammer amps can. But, I've used a lot of hybrids. The Streamliners from Genz Benz do a good job of sounding "old school" when you need it to. Currently, I use GK Fusion amps that have a 6 stage (3 12AX7 tubes) for the preamp. It is a nice blend of modern and old school for me.