1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else get emotionally attached to their basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oscarmeyer777, May 2, 2010.

1. I am kinda curious to see how many people are sentimentally attached to their basses, especially since so many people sell and trade them away :crying:

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You can't believe how painful it is preparing to sell a bass that's been a faithful workhorse for a few years.

At least, in my case that is so.

That being said, the only reason i have sold well-serving basses so far is to buy something better (well, more expensive :D), so that takes away a lot of the guilt.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Here. My dirnt just calls my name. Sterling was a gift. My first not only plays well but... was my first. And my steinberger has gotten me to practice more. I've had it for a week but I bet I have more than 20 hours on it.

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    It depends on the bass. Some I am more attached to than others.

5. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    It depends on how much play it gets for me. I've only sold 2 basses, but it was only because they weren't up to snuff.

6. I do and don't; I have a couple that get played a lot & everyone loves(including me)but if they were to get lost/stolen/destroyed, I'd not be too distraught. OTOH there have been those that do not *fill a need* or otherwise justify keeping but I LOVE so much that I hang on to far too long, and regret selling when I finally cave in.

Color me wishy-washy/on the fence- that or inconsistent. :)

7. I may consider moving to San Francisco so I can legally marry mine - well, not really. :ninja:

Funny how something man made can get to you like that though. :bawl:

8. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Sentimental value? Yes. Emotional attachment? See a shrink about that.

:bag:

9. You bring up an interesting point, the most beautiful part of a bass in my opinion is the woods, which ARENT manmade.

10. I will confess that I own a bass that I'm emotionally attached to; I bought it new, played a lot of gigs with it, etc. I don't play it much anymore - it's on the heavy side, and my tonal tastes have changed. I'm trying to talk myself into selling it, but not having much luck so far.

However, that may change if I can score a decent URB!

11. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    The only bass I fell in love with I never owned. I was checking out pawn shops for some of my gear that got stolen. This lady cane in with a mint Ric and they offered her $275 for it. The told them that she didn't know much about it, but her dead husband didn't own anything that cheep. I talked to her outside and offered her $500. She accepted and was following me to the bank. I guess she had second thoughts or lost me, because she never showed up at the bank. :(

12. I disagree somewhat - it's not really that wood isn't beautiful, but having hands bring it out into the open and shaped and smoothed and formed into something that almost seems alive.

In a tree, although the tree itself is nice and shady and such, it's the stuff that's INSIDE it that are the beautiful parts and that requires hands and an aesthetic, perceptive sense of it's innate beauty.

The whole dynamics of the wood choice, shaping and finish accompanied with the total musical instrument package are what's attractive.

You can sculpture wood into beautiful but quiet pieces of art, but we get to hear ours make music and sing to us.

That's special!

13. I do - only sold one guitar I regret. I was in a band w/ the dude for a while too. he treated it pretty badly. never used a stand, knocked it around etc. that was kinda painful.

14. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I get emotionally attached to pretty much everything that comes my way. I got that from my Dad, who has a shed full of bits of wood and dried out paint tins, stacks of old magazines, siezed up tools... you name it!

15. Ha! I'm a pack rat too - my wife forces me to watch the "Hoarders" TV show. say's that's where I'm heading . . . :eek::rollno::D

16. So long as you don't save newspapers and magazines...and create mazes with them...

Instruments are like tools. If they can't perform their function anymore, or they're too difficult to work with, it's time for them to go.

Z

17. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I have no plans to get rid of my first bass, Ibanez GSR200, even though I don't really need it for anything other than a backup at gigs. I decided to upgrade the pickups and use it as a guinea pig for flatwounds, so I keep liking it more and more.

18. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I've bought and sold well over 100 basses, but I have a couple that are special: a 77 Fender P I bought for $250 when I was flat broke and had to scrimp every nickel in order to get it off the layaway -- played that in every dive bar in Western Mass and Connecticut. And a mid-90s Les Paul bass that I played at both CBGBs and the Whisky. Both of them remind me of good times and good bands, and even more importantly, the great friends I played with over the years.

I don't see them as tools. I understand that some people do -- before you argue with me about it, or think I'm an idiot, understand that this is my opinion. I simply disagree. To me, musical instruments are living, breathing things. They soak up sweat and blood and each responds differently to the different people who play them. Some are amazing. Some are adequate. And some just happen to be perfect for the time and place.

That said, I see amps as tools. Go figure.:p

19. I have been upgrading for over 20 years and have not experienced any significant "pangs of remorse" until last week. I finally moved my, OK but not spectacular, 1977 Precision which I bought from a pawn shop in 1991. It was my only axe all through the 90's when I gigged at every club and bar in my province. I stopped playing it 10 years ago when I discovered so many better basses.

But when I was cleaning her up for her move and played the last note I ever would with her, I felt the tangible grip of mortality. All things come to an end.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Not me.

I also think it's a moral offense.

Don't get emotional about light industrial product, which is all gear is.

Give your emotional attachment to your friends, family and pets if you are lucky enough to have any of these.

Life is short. Don't blow it on being a psycho gearhead.