1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this guy actually think this will sell for this price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, May 14, 2011.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
  2. jaymag_87

jaymag_87

Feb 11, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I know very little about vintage P-basses, but unless that belonged to someone semi-famous, I think he's nuts.

3. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    There is a picture of the bass with what appears to be a member of ZZ Top.
    o_O

But how legit do you think that picture actually is?
    =P

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I was wondering how legit the actual bass itself... it seems to me like it's been refinished or the body replaced or something. But I know nothing about vintage P basses either :p

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Even if thats a real pic of Dusty Hill holding a 52 P-bass, the guy never claims that the bass he's selling is the one that Dusty's holding.
    Just doubtful enough for me. Thats BORDERLINE deceptive-implying that this bass was possibly owned/played by Dusty Hill.

I cant come anywhere near that price anyway, but even if I ever do have that kind of cash someday, this is exactly why I'd be staying out of the high end vintage collectible market. At least via eBay.

6. Billy Gibbons is the one holding it in the picture

7. if this bass is dead on original and in pretty decent shape, then it is priced about right, I would pay that much for an all original 52 p. in fact, I think I will use the buy it now option

:)

8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Besides that
    I don't think Leo drilled out the bodys to run the strings through in 1952, the ad sounds a lot like BullS--T to me!
    So even if all else is true it's been worked on lowering the price a lot!

9. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Repeat of a thread that appeared a few months ago. Same bass. Same pics.

10. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    i think he can

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

And, you'd be 100% wrong.

12. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
  13. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Something is wrong.
    Check the tuners and their age. That's a chrome age reaction to oxygen. Then check other exposed chrome parts (they don't match). The decal appears newly applied; decal age wear is fairly obvious to discern.
    There's more but I don't believe that is a total original. There are just too many low age indicators. IF the guitar were kept in an oxygen sealed environment then none of the metal parts would oxidize, etc. Obviously there has been NO use on the guitar (see body edge condition); that is confusing as there would be spider webbing in the areas coated with nitro (back of neck, body coat, etc). There are simply too many people who can build up a forgery. I believe that the shop may have got taken - it doesn't seem they question it's authenticity. I do however because wood, chrome, and nitro finished that are nearly 60 yrs old simply don't look like that UNLESS they are not exposed to oxygen or light. It simply seems hard to believe that someone put this guitar in a sealed area for 60yrs. And why would the tuners age and the others parts remain? 60 years back someone told themselves "this will be worth a lot of money I need to seal in (somehow)"????? Sealing methods were not that common. IF it had remained in the case for 60yrs the lining of the case would have embedded itself to the finish in many areas....there are just too many questions.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm no Fender expert but that bass doesn't look like a real 50s bass to me.

Also for that kind of money you can buy a lot of really nice new basses ... heck you can buy a nice new car.

15. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Well so far the answer is no, because this bass was listed a month or two ago.

A legitimate 52 precision in that condition would probably go for that much, but there are many red flags here.

First off either that bass has been kept in a closet in its case for the past fifty years or its been restored. Not that a restored bass is necessesarily bad but many restoration jobs are! Especially if the owner was just hoping to turn it around for a huge profit.

Second the pic of Billy Gibbons holding a similar bass with no real claim that he owns/owned it, seems like false advertizing. Suely if the bass was even played by Mr. Gibbons let alone owned, this would be a MAJOR selling point.

Third, give me serial numbers/documentation or I don't believe any of it. We know there are a lot of scams going on out there, and the internet is the perfect place to real in a sucker with more money than brains!

If that bass is legit, and is in that condition it's probably worth that maybe more. But remember, if it seems too god to be true it probably is!

16. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Who cares about cars? Give me nice basses any day, cars........meh.

17. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    I Agree, for a lot of folks 30 grand is a drop in the bucket.

18. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Give over :D I didn't think to search because it's a current auction! You made your point...

19. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Or you could buy a 10k Bass, a 5k rig, and a decent car.

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    IME, celebrity owned intruments don't add that much value unless it's a mega heavyweight that actually played the intrument regularly.
    As far as pricing, if you look into economies of scale, I've seen some bigger dreamers right here on TB, like the $150 effects pedals that are listed for sale for $135 or strings / wireless units that are being listed for more than can be bought for on sale