1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Done With Cheap Pedal Board Power Supply's!

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by BassBeginer64, Dec 11, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Building a Mini Pedal Board with a few Pedal for home practice, and was trying to do it low cost, well do not cheap out on Power Supply's

FYI also all those You Tube Vids Lie Lie Lie !

Bought a used MXR Brick, have hum noisein the pedals, (Not the Iso)
    Same with a Caline CP 5 = hum noise Grrrr
    I am also getting noise from my MXR 9v power supply to, which is very strange, tried all 8 pedals individually and all were making noise DG Deluxe, Specta Comp, Mooer Pedals

Well just bought a Iso Brick due to its size hopeully this will work or its my Voodoo 2 or I spot next

ProfFrink and JimmyM like this.
  2. ephecks

ephecks

Jun 13, 2017
    Have you tried a one spot wall wart? I have two and have yet to notice any added noise.

Good luck!

BassChuck likes this.
  3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Look into a Voodoo ISO5 or a CIOKS Adam5 for cheap and isolated. Dont waste your money on non-isolated power supplies. More noise, less fidelity from your FX. my .02c anyway

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I haven't experienced any issues with the Caline, even when mixing and matching Zoom multis and other pedals.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    One Spots (the actual power supplies, not the wall warts) have been the most noise free power supplies I've used. They have three different sizes now.

12BitSlab and J.Wolf like this.
  6. Some places you can skimp on. Your power supply is NOT one of them. Had an Iso5 - nice piece of kit. Now have the Pedaltrain CS6 - also very nice. The Iso Brick looks cool too

Disclaimer - running a Line 6 G50 on my board - digital wireless, yep you need isolated PS....

7. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Well The MXR Iso Brick did the Trick!, good lil Power Supply, using for my Mini Board, only have one pedal making more noise than other out of 10 pedals, might get a Mini Noise Killer , any recommendations?

DirtyDuke and JimmyM like this.
  8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I got the cheap Donner DP-1 pedal supply last Christmas and it's doing great. Powers an MXR m87, a VT Bass Deluxe, EHX Bass Big Muff, and a Snark pedal tuner. Night in and night out it does just fine. Maybe I got lucky with mine?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Figure out which pedals require isolation and which ones don't by process of elimination, daisy chain the ones that don't and use separate power outs for those that do. That should take care of it. Nice little PS, the Iso Brick. I use it myself. Tiny and has a butt-ton of power.

EDIT: Just in case it's already isolated, what pedal is it? Does it make noise when shut off?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, you just don't have any pedals that require isolation.

11. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    What would exactly? I'm curious. And the Donner supply does state it's isolated DC right in the header on amazon, FWIW :)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Any pedals that hum when on a daisy chain with another would require isolation. So far out of my stuff, the EHX Pitch Fork, the Line 6 G70 wireless, and Zoom B2 require isolation, though I never use the B2 anymore.

Anyway, Donner stretches the truth to the point of lying. The 9v, 12v and 18v are isolated from each other, but the outputs for each voltage aren't, as they all share a common ground.

13. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I'm not an electronics expert, but from my experience there's a lot of misunderstanding in the forums and blogs about what makes a good power supply, and this has led me and others to sometimes buy even expensive ones only the get disappointed by noise issues. As far as I can currently understand, these are the factors:
    • Isolation from the grid
    • Isolation of outputs vs other outputs
    • Electro magnetic interference that the PS throws around itself
    • Quietness of the actual voltage supplied
    Each individual power supply will have some of these covered, and some not so much, leading to different problems on the assembled board. (E.g, I've had an isolated PS that had a transformer that induced noise into any adjacent pedal).

For me, I ultimately settled on the MXR ISO-brick. Its wall wart is flimsy, but you can replace that, and AFAIU apart from that this unit checks all of the boxes, with a really neat compact design