Dooh! Super Glue Super Mess.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rum Ham, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Buff and polish

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Leave and don't make it worse

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Give it away and never play again

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Shhhh ... don't tell anybody.
    Nice bass. Nice bike.
    It'll be ok.

Rum Ham likes this.
  2. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    It is secret. Except for Talkbassers. Thanks for the compliment on my girls. The wife may be gone, along with everything else.
    But I got my Bike and my Bass. And some Ramen. Thats all I need/afford.
    And is Guzzi in reference to Moto Guzzi?
    Thanks again.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  3. Experience is the greatest teacher. You can be instructed by someone, you can read about it, watch videos, etc, but until you dig in and get to work, one will never become a master.

P.S. - Try rubbing beewax on the cardboard where it contacts the glue.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Rum Ham likes this.
  4. That sounds about like how I started after the big D as well.
    Oh well, life goes on and its been a while for me.

Yes, the "Guzzi" part is a reference to my California Special Sport.
    And the "Toad" is in reference to the Hodaka Road Toad I had some 40-plus years ago.

Rum Ham likes this.
  5. Was the superglue repair technically successful, as in those strap buttons aren't going anywhere soon? If yes, and if it were my bass, I'd leave the repair alone, and enjoy playing my fully functional and quite beautiful bass, minor visual blemishes and all.

(as for the toothpick trick, the strap button hole on MY bass is filled only with the finest Vic Firth stick shavings that I picked up from the floor around the drum kit).

Rum Ham likes this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Expensive shavings. My sticks are all about 3 bucks a set.

oysteivi and Rum Ham like this.
  7. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    First I've heard of the beeswax. Sounds genius to me. Thanks for sharing byaycey
    The Big D. Such a spot on term..
    That's killer about your riding longevity.
    Motorcycling is one of those rare areas that a mistake, however simple, can be catastrophic. You must have some stories Guzzi.

8. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    Yes it was successful. The screw hasn't budged. I think this is an example of a pyrrhic victory.

oysteivi, Axstar and Pilgrim like this.
  9. Extra points for languaging correctly!! :hyper:

Rum Ham likes this.
  10. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    All of the stupid stuff I've ever done to basses has been a desperate, too-long-at-the-workbench dash to try and claw back some success from a complete failure.

I'm ashamed at all the stupid stuff I did to basses in the past:

I did the whole Jaco thing to a Dearmond Jet Star bass and dammed off the fretboard so that I could do an epoxy pour. Hole in dam. Set neck bass. Epoxy on body. Epoxy harder than surrounding wood, so I ended up sanding some terrain into the top of that bass.

Killed the bridge pickup in my old Yamaha BB424 by wax potting it. Phone up Yamaha, paid for a replacement, killed it wax potting it too.

Tried to epoxy a generic pickup into the Yamaha pickup cover. "Probably sounds better anyway". Epoxy releases a bunch of heat that warps the pickup cover and kills the generic pickup.

Wax pot an Artec mudbucker. Kill it.

Wax pot the pickup out my old Westone Thunder bass. Kill it.

Tried to polish out a scratch on the headstock of my Tokai Thunderbird bass. Scratch gets bigger. Headstock is white under the black paint. Try to wet-sand out to a white headstock. End up down at the wood. Logical solution: saw off the headstock and fit some cheap Chinese headless hardware to make a Steinbergerbird. Fail miserably at this task and end up binning the bass.

Remove preamp from a Cort GB74 bass. Don't like active basses. Use epoxy to fill the battery compartment route, and do a Billy Sheehan scallop job on the upper frets at the same time. The guy who bought it found this hilarious (and good haggling material).

Fender Starcaster bass. Damn these pickups are muddy. Maybe if I drill out the cover to expose all 8 pole pieces things might be better. Oh, these pickups are now ruined and you can't buy replacements. Better sell the bass at a massive loss as a parts project!

Any number of finish stripping and refinishing projects. I've never once refinished a bass, but I've killed a good few by trying!

Rum Ham likes this.
  11. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    Me not so dumb sometimes i am.

12. Rum Ham

Rum Ham

Jan 28, 2018
    Ohio
    HOLY JEEPERS BATMAN!!
    They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, probaly got some of those basses in the ditch beside it.
    You have any basses that survived?
    I'm just kidding with ya.
    I have a MIM Fender P. I wanted to redo the finish. Now it worked, didn't sound the greatest- but it worked.
    So I strip all the hardware, electronics, etc..
    I take all the finish off to bare wood.
    I sandblast my initials "LKB" on the back.
    Big, big 4 inch letters about a 1/2 inch deep
    Get it done, stand back and the letters are very,severely so, crooked.
    I take it, throw it and the components into a box for 5 years.
    I break it out a while back- fill in the holes-put a bunch of Scarlett Johansson pics on it seal it. I lost every electronic. I acquire new electronics. I put it back together.
    Neck is shaped like a banana.
    Engage truss rod.
    Truss rod snaps.
    Murphy won the war. I had a small victory here and there.
    Axstar thanks for sharing. As painful as it may be.

Axstar likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021