Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigEarl, Nov 26, 2003.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Does anybody own, or know anything about these cabinets? The only info I've been able to find on them is their ads on Ebay. Thanks

2. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I currently use two of them.....I posted something a few days ago on it....check it out

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    on ebay they say Eminence Delta's

4. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have been totally satisfied....I sold my other stuff simply b/c I am in love with these things.

5. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    MXR - it's been a couple of months - and I've been seeing these cabs on the 'bay - any updates - anyone have anything to add?

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Nice looking stuff. I've never heard of these cabs before. How come they don't make any 4x10's though?

7. Well, I just received a Dr Bass 212 + horn cab and though the outside of the cab was damaged in shipping and is going back, I did have a chance to play it at home a fair amount and can offer this review:

Very well made. Solid as a rock, with great recessed handles. The grill is a tad on the flimsy side but looks ok. Basic 1/4" jacks and tweeter atenuator. No labeling as to power rating or impedance so know the cab before you plug it in to something.

This thing is tight and solid. Haven't compared it to any other 212s out there but it's got a lot of thump and can take what's thrown at it without wimping out. I compared it to an Epifani T115 and found it to be not as round in the extreme low end but more present in the low mids. Can't say how well it throws but I'm sure it will be heard. If it has a weak spot it's the horn. A tad on the harsh side (much the same as I've heard about the similarly priced Avatar cabs). I'm wondering if a higher corssover point might smooth things out. Looks like the crossover is a simple series capacitor which could be improved upon with a more sophisticated component network for a sharper rolloff. This cab has a compression horn but he also offers cabs with the LeSon tweeter that is used in the SWR workingman series.

Overall, for the money ($319 + shipping), a great cab just like the Avatars and I think the Dr Bass cabs look cooler. He has alot of configurations available including a 112, 115, 210, 310, 212 and a 3way 12 cab in the vein of the Bergie 322. Lot's of options to shoose from and he (Marc Serio) is a great guy to deal with.

I'm going to try the cab in stage this weekend and will offer up a live review time permitting...

8. I went to his web-site and did not see any of the configurations other then the 112, 115, and 210. I have a friend on a budget that is in need of a multiple driver cab (at least 2x12) and the built in rack would suit him well too. If you could direct me to where I could get more info on the Bergie clone or the 2x12 that would be awesome.

9. Please keep posting reviews. I want an old school sound and I'm on a budget. I don't slap. I play groove and really basic bass lines but I want them phat.

10. The website appears to be a bit behind his actual product line. Contact him and he will email you a price list that shows all his current product.

11. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    I have to second this - I emailed Marc and spoke to him via phone - great guy, friendly, and ready to help. He's got much more than what's listed on the web - but I have a strong feeling that'll be updated real soon.

Send him an email - you won't regret it!!

Dr. Bass has 3x10, a couple 2x12's, et al.

BTW - I told Marc about this thread - so if you're lurking Marc - post! ;)

12. I figured as much already... E-Mail sent!

:smug:

13. Mr-Wunderful I would suggest you contact Marc and tell him exactly what you posted here. I wager he could direct you to the right cab in his line and he'll give you a 2 week trial period.

14. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
  15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Scottius

Does that 2x12 really only weight 52lbs.???

16. Yes!!!

Bang for the buck for sure!

17. check out the website in the founder's profile. that is a pair of short men. the headstocks come up practically to their shoulders!

robb.

18. Well I'm interested. I emailed them yesterday for more info on the 1x12 cabs.