1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer kept the cash. Worth saying something?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Dec 2, 2017.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Filled in last night in a band I used to be full time in. The bandleader/bass player injured his hand so couldn't play but was there running sound.

Agreement was I get the regular cut + his cut for filling in on short notice. At 50 bucks a person it would have been a total of 100 dollars.

I even heard him telling the drummer (who got the payout from the bar) this but the drummer ended up just giving me the 50 dollars that everyone else got and than pretty much avoided me the rest of the night.

50 bucks won't make or break me. It's the ethics of it that bother me. I'm tempted to bring it up to the band leadership but don't have any to sound petty.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you had an agreement, then you had an agreement. Based on your post, it sounds like the drummer is aware he was shorting you.

If you bring it up, you risk not getting more gigs from them, or recommendations. If you don't, they know they can go back on an agreement with you. Which situation do you prefer?

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What would kill me here is not the money, but the dishonesty. Make him come clean. Diplomatically.

Ian Lewis, LKTraz, chip134 and 29 others like this.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    Bring it up. You did them a service.

Ian Lewis, chip134, Atshen and 9 others like this.
  5. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

b/l tells you the gig pays $100. b/l tells drummer/money man to pay you $100. drummer pays you $50. did i get that right?

you're asking if you should ask for the rest of your pay? why on earth would you not? to not sound petty?

i suggest that asking for the pay you were promised is not petty.

6. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I would say ask for what you were promised if it does not come your way take the high road, but be conveniently busy any time they call in the future.
    That way it doesn’t get ugly and you are the better man
    Duke

7. The real question is - Did the drummer just steal your money or did the BL knowingly take "his cut" that you were suppose to get paid? Either way you were conned. Get the money.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Get the money. Be nice, but firm. Someone is ripping you off.

9. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Kentucky
    The answer begins and ends right here.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Of course the drummer stole your $50. That's why he avoided you the rest of the night.

Is he an addict, gambler or so poor that $50 makes that much difference in his life?

You really needed to refuse the $50 right then and call the BL over to mediate.

Now, the drummer will say he gave you the $100 and that you are trying to rip the band off.

Proof that he is a thief and a liar and you, with your word against his.

Passivity comes with a price.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Exactly. Your issue is with the band leader, not the drummer. Tell the band leader you agreed to play for $100 and only got $50. He may not even be aware that you were cheated.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    Which is probably the case. I'd just say the drummer probably didn't know you were owed more, but you will need that extra money to make you whole.

wmmj and lfmn16 like this.
  13. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    talk to the B/L, ask if he spoke with the drummer.

Aqualung60 and jmattbassplaya like this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    I take it from your short description the B/L who is also the bass player normally gets two cuts. His, as the bass player, and another as the B/L?

I would insist on getting paid per the agreement. Otherwise, you will run the risk as being known to accept less than the agreed upon amount where ever you sub in that local area.

If they still insistn on renegging on the agreement, tell the BL in private that they will run the opposite risk and could find subs hard to come by. Do it diplomatically as best you can, and in *private* with the B/L. Make sure the drummer is not around. That way if it starts to become undiplomatic, you can blame the drummer and his behaivor from that night.

TheBear, wmmj and Plutonium244 like this.
  15. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    Be cruel, but fair.

16. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I would take it up with the bass player/band leader as he's the leadership guy. The deal was with him. So, I would approach him. I would approach it as an oversight, reiterate the deal, and how you were paid only $50. When would you expect the additional $50? Wait for an answer. Don't express anger, or use emotionally charged language -- just ask when you can expect the remaining $50. A deal was a deal, so this is no surprise to him.

If they ignore you, then let it go. But you will not forget -- that is human nature.

NEXT time, they want you to sub, bring it up again, and say you expect them to follow through on the deal that is cut for you. Express your puzzlement and disappointment that there wasn't follow through last time, so if if you are to do it again, you need to know they are fully committed to giving you the full amount they promised. I sometimes indicate that to do otherwise is unethical. Or something that might appeal to any sense of morality they might have, if any. Good thing the dollars are small. If this was a formal client, and one that I didn't care about losing, I'd ask for a prepayment on the next gig for the amount they didn't pay, now, along with a nice deposit.

JRA and TheBear like this.
  17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth......

ezra1 likes this.
  18. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    I'm not going to assume wrong doing. But for the life of me, why don't people question things up front? If the drummer gave me $50, i'd ask for the other $50 right then and there. Don't even have to be an ass about it, just, "oh yeah i'm supposed to get $100." Then talk through it from there.

Go ahead and contact the bass player you subbed for and ask about the other $50. If he is reasonable it should not cause any issue.

19. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Yeah, its always easiest to bring this kind of stuff up right away. No drama, just say "Isn't it supposed to be a hundred?" when the guy gives you less than what you're expecting. It should be like a reflex. Don't even think about it, just ask.

Mike H, gln1955, aprod and 4 others like this.
  20. Gotta agree with everyone, a deal is a deal.
    Probably should have said something right away.
    I wouldn't even talk to the drummer at this point. Contact the band leader and I am sure that he will make it right.

Bad azz tone and Gearhead17 like this.