1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dumb question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drummer5359, Aug 8, 2012.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I see threads about 410s, 810s and right now a thread about running 2 810s.

Am I the only bassist that still prefers the sound of a single 15" speaker?

I must be missing something.

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    You're not the only one. Ive liked every 2x15 I've used more than anything though. But my favorite has always been my big 1x18 folded horn

3. I've used a single 15" in my TNT 130 for 30 years. Everyone likes it. I've neve owned a 2x10". Nothing against them though.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Not at all a dumb question...especially by local standards.
    I have a 400w EV single 15 in a cab a friend built almost thirty years ago. It mostly lives in rehearsal studios now but it's been my main cab most of my adult life. I have lighter more modern stuff I use on gigs now but if I were to go minimalist that 15 and a GK 800RB are all I really need. There's some simple purity I can't really describe about a bass through a single 15. Of the several I have it's the last cab I'd sell.

5. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Many here would not necessarily agree with me, but to my ears there's nothing like the sound of a good 15 inch woofer. I had tried using a single 210 cab, and the result was too thin and lifeless for me. I added a 15 and suddenly there was the quality, low end and fullness that was missing from the 210. Even a 410 doesn't replace the sound qualities that I like. Yes, the 410 pumps out a lot of volume, but not the fullness my ears desire.

I've read many posts on TB from bassists who share my appreciation for 15s. Keep on enjoying your 15 and don't worry about those who have different preferences. :bassist:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Use whatever you feel like using.

7. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have a TXV210 that I never use. I prefer my Bassman 115 cabinet. And every time I try different cabs, I'm always drawn to 15"s. I thought it was just me as I don't hear much love for the big cones anymore.

I didn't mean to stir anyone up... carry on.

8. There is a lot of love for 15's around here! There was recently one about them "Ruling"...

This is my personal fEARful 1515/66/1, built by Dave Homer. Its a monster of a cab. Goes higher, lower, louder, and is lighter than any commercial cab in its ball park.

[​IMG]

This is a 39 pound Dually 215 built by Mike Arnopol. This will kick an 810 to the curb at a fraction of the weight.

[​IMG]

This is the new big dog in the greenboy line up: fEARless 215. This cab hits all the points of the 1515/66, but comes in 25-30 pounds lighter depending on hardware.

[​IMG]

All these cabs are greenboy designs built by Authorized builders. There is a LOT of love for 15's out there.

9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Um, ok.....thanks.

10. I think that Jimmy's point is that good cabs sound good regardless of speaker size, and bad cabs sound bad regardless of speaker size. There is no absolute when it comes to tonal preference.

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I use a single 15 combo and a 810 setup but never together. The single 15 is used for smaller gigs with or without PA support and the 810 is for the larger gigs.

I like them both.

TD

12. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for that sterling bit of news. Ask him if it's ok if I go to the bathroom wouldja?

13. He said you should hold it till next week.

14. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh crap.

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You ain't alone. I run 115 a lot. I actually like the tone better than when I run two.

16. Nope your not alone. I like 15s too, but I like two better - with no crossover, mid driver or tweeter/horn.

17. +1

You know I didnt like horns in my cabs either for the longest time. Its all about the cross over and the design of the system. Say in a 410 where you have natural upper mid roll off. With out the tweeter this can sound really good for a lot of styles, but with a tweeter engaged you get a very harsh spike where it kicks in. Not a good sound IMHO. I believe you should never know that the tweeter is there, just when its not there, and that is a hallmark of a well implemented design. Sadly there are a lot of cabs out there where it feels like the tweeter was tossed in as an afterthought by marketing. There are some out there that are really great too. GK's biamp system is pretty cool, and is way ahead of the game when compared to other cabs with tweeters.

18. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    15's here too. I've tried 2x10, 1x12, 2x12 and came back to 1 or 2 x15. Love the 15s. But whatever suits you!

19. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Met a guy the other day who plays bass for what's essentially a Johnny Winter coverband. He plays through a 1x15 and absolutely swears by it.