1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DUNLOP SUPER BRIGHT NICKELS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basses51, Jul 26, 2017.

1. I've been a D'Addario XL-170 user for like eons now....As well as Elixers too....I have used the Dunlop Nickels (black pkg) a few times here recently with pretty good luck.....I have not yet tried the SuperBrights. Needing some new strings and being long over-due I just ordered three sets from Bass Strings Online.....Two 4-stg sets and One 5-stg set....AND PRICE-WISE...IT DON'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS... $40.13 and Free Shipping for the three sets....I have read mostly good things about them so I'm hopeing that they are great....Never know until you try them I guess.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to use XL's and switched to them 3 years ago and never looked back.

JulienP. and basses51 like this.
  3. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    The next strings to try

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Still my favorite strings. Compared to XL's, they are much deeper in the lows without the mud. They are clearer and more open in the mids, and less harsh in the highs. They are also quite a bit lower tension than XL's.

basses51 likes this.
  5. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    For the money I don;t think you could find a better string. I was a little bit scared by the name and thinking they would be to bright for me. They are very balanced, clear, and tamed in the high end without being to compressed. Very nice string that are in my top 2 for all rounds. I seem to like the Curt Mangan Nickel rounds best but they are a little bit more expensive.

6. Wheezerbass

Wheezerbass

Jul 22, 2012
    Denmark
    Been a user of exl 170 Long time and tried the Dunlop Nickel bright 2 months ago - 30 Days into playing the A string died. Overall crispness and clarity faded quite fast. When New they Sound Great and crisp om My 5'er but sadly this wasn't lasting. Any other Alternatives Out there you have experience with

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There is not enough space allowed on the forum to list all of the strings I've tried. Nothing does what the SuperBrights do.

I get about 6-8 months out of a set before I change them just because of the time. But even if you have to change them monthly, $12 a set from Bass Strings Online is an incredible bargain. Just skip Starbucks one day of the month and you've bought a new set of strings.

8. Wheezerbass,
    Sorry to hear about the loss of the A string. I had a similar experience with Rotosounds about 2.5 yrs ago. I'd say give the Super Brights another chance as I found they were a great string - but if not, I've found that DR strings kept their tone the longest from what I've used. Similar to the Dunlop Super Brights, probably DR Hi-Beams or Fat Beams.

Wheezerbass likes this.
  9. Wheezerbass

Wheezerbass

Jul 22, 2012
    Denmark
    In Denmark these strings are approx 40 us dollars for One set but i might Give them another shot the feel was quite pleasing

10. Wheezerbass

Wheezerbass

Jul 22, 2012
    Denmark
    Thank you I Will Look into It and consider Your Advice

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Man, I wish they weren't. I'd try a set if they were higher tension. :(

Gully Foyle likes this.
  12. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I use the Marcus Miller on my custom warmoth jazz bass. Lots of punch!! And clarity

Stainless with an rbx 765 with nordstrand jazz bars-growl city!

Nickel on my peavey gv!- clear in the entire spectrum! Tons of growl and punch and turns into a slow crunch that's just right !

eriky4003 likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If they were, they would probably sound different, and we can't have that :D

JulienP. and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I love the super bright nickels. Great strings that age very gracefully.

JulienP. and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Love em! They make my DP scroll sing/growl/thump.

16. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a set I'm waiting to try... I usually play DR Lo-Riders and am used to higher tention so I'm a bit concerned they may be to spongy for me.

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah not sure how to get a higher tension roundwound than XL's, they are quite stiff. Boomers maybe.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  18. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    You haven't tried Labella Nickel rounds..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  19. jaydnt

jaydnt

Jun 18, 2017
    My favorite strings.

20. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have actually. And I agree. I didn't even intall the whole set. Just did the E and was like...nooooope!

fakeneckplate'65 likes this.