1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eating alone in public

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, May 8, 2010.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I really don't like eating alone in public. Discuss.

2. what if youre hungry and waiting for your flight in an airport? would you wait to eat on board? would that be sufficient coverage?

that said one of the most pathetic things i can imagine is someone alone on a park bench crying and eating a birthday cake alone.

there are some biological necessities that i am not into displaying publicly...

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There was a point, up until college where I was the same way. Now, I don't really care.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I enjoy eating alone in public. It's quieter, and I can concentrate on the food.

5. Why does it matter if you eat alone in public or in private?

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have many years of experience with this, mostly being single. Having a book makes me feel just a little less emo in these settings.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I actually look forward to sitting down with a good book and a good meal. Such is a sales reps life.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've been alone for years. Eating alone in public? Fact is just today I ate in a restaurant for the first time in about 6 months. (I very seldom dine out). And of course I was alone.

Did it bother me? Should it have? Seriously, I never gave it a thought.

9. I like eating alone because I don't have to listen to the other person making all those noises when they chew and I don't have to worry about them hearing me either. If I do eat with someone I like having music on to drown out all the chomping sounds.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I hate it. I'll eat alone in my room or in the park or something like that, but not in a restaurant.

11. eating alone is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying for your date. :meh:

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same here. Now that I travel all the time, I thought I would get used to it. I haven't. So it is drive-thru, carry-out, or delivery for me when I'm on the road.

-Mike

13. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    i LOVE eating alone in public!! It's peaceful and I can eat at my own pace and enjoy the surroundings!

14. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    If it was a sit down restaurant where I am being served, then yes I would feel odd doing that. Fast food or something like that, completely different story. There might be a rare occasion where I would eat alone at a sit down restaurant such as if I was out of town or something but that may be the only reason why I would.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I went out to a sit down restaurant by myself for a meal about a year ago and it honestly seemed to bother the staff more than it bothered me.

16. It's all down to your psyche, I suppose. If you're a 'friends' guy eating alone in public might feel somewhat awkward. I'm not, so I don't dislike eating alone.

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I rarely get a chance to these days, but when I could, I certainly hadn't any reservations..don't make a point to do it, but I like to people watch...and it is relaxing.

18. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I travel frequently, so I eat alone in restaurants all the time. No big deal.

19. I usually don't go out to eat that often (gotta love being broke) but if I do go alone I'll just eat while I'm driving or eat it at home.

20. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I rarely have to out of necessity, eat out I mean.

If it's a matter of getting some food and hanging out for an hour, I'd prefer going to a deli and finding a spot to sit with a book so I could have some down time.

If you mean restaurant, that's usually an event, so it's about sharing with someone else. It wouldn't bother me to do it alone, I just don't have a reason to.