1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Paulabass, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I made my first ever ebay purchase, despite being quite vocal about mail order basses. I seem to be losing that argument, so I thought I'd try it.
    Please, if anybody has done this- I'm not worried, but I'm wondering if this is normal.
    The money came out of my account in seconds...then nothing. Immediately a 3 avail. 1 sold came up on the item.
    No receipt, tracking number, thank you note, acknowledgement that I exist...zip.
    A couple of weeks ago I sent an email thru 'contact seller' but have not gotten a response.
    The seller has hundreds of new items, and 100% positive feedback.

Is this normal?

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    So how long is it since you paid for it? Did they give you a shipping estimate?

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes and no.

"A couple of weeks" is problematic to me.

Was the item located in Canada, US or abroad?

4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Order is from Montreal, I'm in Toronto. It's been two weeks. My only real concern is- Was I supposed to recieve some sort of confirmation? I seems odd to me that any business would take my money, and offer no sort of proof to that effect.
    A one word email would be polite- 'Shipped', or 'Thank you, we have your money'.

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    As an older fellow I never warmed up to internet sales. However in the last couple years I have made some sizable EBay purchases. One was a bass. I had the same uncomfortable feeling. If you are dealing with a seller with a flawless rating I believe you are in good hands.... I have also found PayPal to be extremely friendly for me. It gives you an extra level of safety on web purchases. And that’s coming from a guy that doesn’t care for the web... Unless it is TB of course

6. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    eBay does not provide an automated confirmation.

Each seller has their own policies and so each transaction is a new and unique experience

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Thanks- That was the answer I was looking for. With Amazon, within seconds I get a confirmation, and a thank you, and another when the product ships, and yet another that asks 'How did you enjoy your pickguard screws'

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I usually get an e-mail from eBay confirming I bid on an item and confirming I won the auction.

-Mike

Stumbo and GregC like this.
  9. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Hmm. I overlooked that. It seems like I do as well, at least I'm reasonably certain I do. I was hung up on 'email from seller'

@Paulabass , does the transaction show up in your 'My ebay' page?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    MJ5150 likes this.
  10. It is not normal.

Maybe a reply went to spam.

Try again.

Don't leave it too long to complain to PayPal and get your money back.

There was a spate of scammers setting up accounts and doing hundreds of ''good'' transactions on buttons and beads, then switching to grand larceny off the ''good'' feedback.

Reedt2000, slobake and soulman969 like this.
  11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How about pointing us in the vendors direction.

eBay store link?

12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I've never noticed the 'my ebay' thingy. Clicked my orders, and it says due tomorrow. D'oh!

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you use paypal: same/similar response pattern...especially helpful with ebay purchases. ;)

14. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Happy day-before-NBD!

bolophonic likes this.
  15. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    You should be receiving an automated email confirmation from Ebay for your purchase. PayPal, if used for payment, sends a separate email. The first thing I'd do, is go to my eBay account and review my recent purchases.

In my experience, few sellers send a personalized email confirmation these days. Shipping confirmation emails by sellers also seem rarer nowadays.

Edit: I just saw that the OP found what she was looking for.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  16. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Let us know if you like the bass. Pictures are nice too. :D

17. Paula is not a dude.

18. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Thanks for correcting me.

19. The second sentence is wrong. Pictures are mandatory.

charlie monroe, slobake and Stumbo like this.
  20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Yeah! Take that!:thumbsdown:

slobake likes this.