1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Stingray Classic - who doesn't like em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Well, to put it short... I was GASing hard for a ray classic and thought it would be the bass to own all the other basses, but turns it out it was not the case.

I have only, heard people give them positive reviews over here. Why not share what you not like about them?

I mainly got rid of it due to it being sounding too mellow. It sounds too mid scooped compared to a regular ray. I have not played a real pre-EB so I cant compare them to that. I can imagine it sounding fine in a pop cover band or whatnot, but it doesnt cut through with distortion guitars like I hoped it would... it doesnt help that its also one of the heaviest basses Ive played

Other than that, it looks gorgeous and really does play like butter.

2. I think they look and sound glorious. However, I quite like the modern features, including the contoured body.

I may one day own a Classic, but I'd also quite a normal 2 EQ Natural Ray.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I had one for awhile, and I have nothing negative to say about them. The only reason I sold mine is because, once again, I determined that I'm most comfortable with my Fenders. The 'Ray looked and sounded great.

The thing that makes them not as comfortable (to ME) is the pickup placement. I like to anchor my right thumb on the pickup when I play the E string. Then I float it when playing the higher strings. But on the single pickup 'Rays, the pickup is back pretty far (close to the bridge). On my Fenders, I anchor on the neck pickup on a Jazz. And on the P's, I like where the pickup is located. So I'm much more comfortable with my "anchor spot" on the Fenders. I'd probably love the HH 'Rays. Anyway, that's my own little nit-picking story of why I don't still own my Classic. Just personal preference (but they are definitely sweet basses!).

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

My critics are the same as for other MM models.
    I recognize that it's a well thought tool with a great tone but it's not for me.
    I like more frets and I tend to sound obnoxious on active electronics with boosted EQ.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have owned several modern Stingrays ( H. HS. HH, 4's and 5's ) and never like them and sold them quickly, this year l I got a Stingray Classic, I love the two band preamp. This baby is not going anywhere.

6. I preferred the single pickup standard stringray 5 over any other music man bass. The bongo felt great and I liked having 24 frets but it just didn't have the sound, im guessing because of the wood used. If I could get ernie all to build me a bongo that sounded like a stingray I'd be in heaven. The classic 4 just kinda felt cheap like they didn't put as much work into it. The body was more like a p bass and the body contouring wasnt as dramatic as the stringray 5

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Sterling 5 was imbalanced weight-wise and uncomfortable to play. This is a shame because I really love the tonal vibe.

Riis

8. Do you mean the classic Stingray 5?

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry...both the Stingray Classic and Sterling 5 both fell short for me. The Stingray was a bit heavier, as well. I would not bad-mouth either....I'm really picky about weight and balance.

Riis

10. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I've owned three. The first was was a four string. It sounded great. Played great. Looked great. It's the only bass I regret letting go. However, I made the switch to 5-ers only. I very recently picked up a Classic 5. Wanted to love it, but had to go back due to QC issues. I exchanged it for another. This time, I took it to one of the most respected techs in the area for a once over. He did some measurements, plucked it once or twice, handed it back and said, "return it."

Both Classic 5-ers had misfiled nuts, and the second one had an already maxed truss rod.

I returned the second one, and decided a "third time the charms" wasn't something I was remotely interested in. Really a shame. But at that price point, the bass had best be ready, or very near ready out the door. I shouldn't be worrying about the cost of new nuts, or neck fixes.

Not to just be negative; I love the 2-band pre, slab body, mutes, and vintage colors. If you find a good, no reason not to be a keeper.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I absolutely love mine! It cuts through a mix great but not overpowering. There isn't anything bad I can say about mine. Sorry. Different stroked for different folks I guess.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    How much you want for it? :)

13. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    I always felt that if you want the one sound a MM can give you, then get one. The only sound I like is the post 2001 5-String Singe M with 3-way switch and no piezo. Overall they are decent production basses but for me, nothing special. Certainly not worth the $$. I can build a bass for 1/2 the price that will blow the doors of any of them.

14. I've just been out to a jam session with mine. I replaced its strings (1 yr old EB colbalt slinkies) with Thomastik Infeld flats (100 - 43).

Oh boy what a sound!! Even better with the mutes on.

I can't fault the bass - I use it for both modern blues (where there's quite a lot of funk lines played) and vintage late 50s early 60s tribute act. I manage to serve up appropriate sounding bass for each and people comment on how good the sound is - can't wait to gig it with the TIs.

Oh it looks and plays great also. It won't be going anywhere.

The 2 band EQ is the same as post 79 onwards pre EBs (with the exception of a couple of added safety features to prevent you from frying the circuit) - it has the benefit of a six bolt, rather than 3 bolt neck joint - as a previous owner (from new) of a pre EB Ray, I can honestly say this bass is every bit as good plus some - I wouldn't swap it (i.e sell it to fund) a pre EB, much as I like them as well.

15. The biggest reason I was interested in a Classic was the hard finish on the neck. They also look cool (IMO). And while I like the 2-band EQ, I've been using the 3-band EQ for 20 + years and am fine with it as well.

The deal-breaker for me is the slab body; I much prefer the contours. That and I would take the mutes off of the bridge.

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The only negative is the flame maple neck. Flame is unstable and tends to twist, like mine did.

17. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I hate the neck profile... It's way to thin front to back to be that wide with gloss. But that's it...

18. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    For a bass as pricey as the MM Classic, you'd hope that it would be the most finely assembled, detail oriented build from the factory...
    However, my experience was definitely not so. For example, the shim in the neck wasn't even put in the right place. It was like they just threw it into the pocket... With the paint not even dry yet.
    The foam under the G string never let off if it, even all the way down.
    Bridge saddles wouldn't fit between the outer bridge bolts.

I wouldn't get one again, personally.

19. I have one and like it. In my main band I always use a P because it fits our bare bones sound, but in my cover band I use the ray. It's really comfortable for me to play finger style (I'm mostly a pick player) and I like the sound I can dial out of it. I do find myself rolling the treble back a bit to tame the highs, and my only 'issue' with it is the mutes. I don't really ever use them, but the D and G seem to be a little close to the strings for my liking.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have the same problem. Probably due to 25 years of playing Fenders.

I don't find the Classic dull compared to standard Stingrays though.