1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sweetwater or Zzounds , or American Musical .

HD007 likes this.
  2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Sweetwater is great but they don’t do setups. I did GC because I got to handle the instrument and they offered a hefty sale price. At the cost of these I was scared to do online. You can always do online and return it and Sweetwater does post weights.

HD007 likes this.
  3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    And I would never depend on anyone to set up my instrument but me at this point because I know what I like better than anyone else.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London

Haha, ‘first gear’, love it! :)

Yeah, I found that position 5 with the bass back does indeed help. It’s sounds great with bass up a touch, but more like P with it rolled back a touch. I sometimes push back the treble a bit and boost the mids a bit too.

Nice tone you quoted there :thumbsup:

5. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah!! I have the exact same in 4-string. Gosh, that is pretty. I really beat myself up trying to decide between the 5H and the 4H, but wound up sticking to my 4-string instincts. Sometimes wonder if there's a natural 5H out there that was meant to be... yours is not helping my peace of mind... ENJOY!!!

6. Treeman

Treeman

Sep 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    @Chiliwailer how are your Cobalt Flats treating you? I couldn't ever get there with mine, just never did break them in to feeling smooth, even after several months (they existed on a P and a fretless J before making their way onto the 'Ray). The more I read positive reviews the more I wonder if I'm just missing something...

7. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I got mine from Sweetwater they have a 4 year financing special through December 31. I had to tweak the setup but I expected that I do all my own setups anyway. Just had to install straplocks and that was the only mod I'll be making.

HD007 likes this.
  8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    All basses should come standard with Dunlop’s

BassGuyFL and Phyzzbin like this.
  9. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Have you tried the new Schallers? I put them on my Ray, that ring with the set screw is a massive improvement over the locking nut that always works its way loose.

10. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nah the old Schallers were terrible. I switched to Dunlop’s ten years ago and never looked back.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I too prefer Dunlops. Just make sure you give it an extra tug when you lock them in. #lessonlearned

Phyzzbin and StrangerDanger like this.
  12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Once they’re locked they stay that way. That’s why it’s a superior design.

13. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Too early to say right now buddy. They aren’t as sticky as they initially were, but there’s still something there. I had these on an old Lull of mine for some time and I remember them feeling good eventually, though it may be that I just got used to the different feel by then?

Tonally, I waiting for them to break in more before knowing for sure. In an ideal world I’d have one Special with flats and one with rounds. But in reality I’m using the Cobalts so I can play RHCP & STP one minute, then Creedence & Neil Young the next, followed by some Wailers and Stax later, they are versatile.

Treeman and HD007 like this.
  14. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I got mine from Sweetwater (which as others have noted does not do setups). They have excellent return policy etc.

I’d just count on having someone (or yourself) set it up to your taste, as I would with any bass, once it arrives and acclimates.
    Same if buying from GC.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

15. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Oh I agree but it just came with their stock strap pins. I always use them plus I have different straps so it's easy to switch them or if for some reason I need to grab the backup bass.

16. Mistahbenn

Mistahbenn Supporting Member

May 15, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Ya I know how to do a nice setup I just expect that when I get a brand new factory bass it should come to my arms in perfect playing condition...

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The problem with that statement is that what you consider perfect might be crappy for me and vice versa.

BassGuyFL likes this.
  18. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I can handle the saddle height and intonation not being perfect. I expect the truss rod to need a tweak. But where I’m with you is that I find a super high nut just inexcusable, which is what my 2015 Ray had, and countless other new basses.

Luckily my Special didnt have that issue, and just needed the usual ‘tweak to taste’.

19. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Obviously the nut should be cut properly. I took him to mean bridge and truss adjustments and pickup height.

20. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I was just reading back and saw what you wrote about Streetwater not doing set ups. I find it so strange that lots of shops not just don’t do them, but don’t even know how to do them!

I’m like you, I prefer to do them myself, but as some people haven’t yet learnt to set up a bass I’d at least expect the staff in the shop to have learned how to tweak a rod, set the heights and intonation etc. - it’s not rocket science!

I worked in London guitar shops for 16 years (in what feels like a past life) and always made sure that customers had a guitar that played well when they took it off the wall to try, and again when they took it home. So when I’m trying a bass in a shop now and it needs a massive truss rod tweak I just want to break down and cry that they have to spend 15 minutes taking it to the tech or looking at me like they think I’m being difficult or showing off.

I’m not just saying this for the hell of it, it’s happened so much to me in the past few years. Times have changed.

Anyway, at least we can set them up how we want them! :)

HD007 and StrangerDanger like this.