1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden D410XLT, now what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, May 29, 2018.

Tags:

Refurb?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2018.
  1. Ceramic

24.2%
  2. Neodymium

72.7%
  3. Rat fur

18.2%
  4. Duratex

42.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Deltalites are the way to go. Power and lightness.

Great suggestion. I knew someone would find some Eden speakers somewhere besides brand new. I snicker when I read someone complaining about Eden speakers or cabs. They were truly monsters in their day and your cab will be a monster once you finish it. I like the idea of Duratex but fair warning I've read quite a few threads about taking off carpeting and it's no easy task. On the other hand, once refinished, the Eden will look like a traditional Eden cab if you leave on the carpeting, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

S-Bigbottom and David A. Davis like this.
  2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

The right kind of speakers for this will be pricey. And you have to make sure it's the correct impedance.

3. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I’ve emailed Eminence to get their recommendation for replacement speakers.

4. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I've had good luck cleaning up rat fur with a beard trimmer. It works great.

5. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Did you do anything else to it to keep it from “balling up” again? Just wondering if there’s something that can be applied to prevent it from doing that?

6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    No, not that I'm aware of. I think the sliding it around when hauling is what makes it fuzz up. I just try to place it in my vehicle instead of shoving it into place.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    You can always buy a used working 410xlt for $300, and put the speakers in your box.

MuthaFunk, jamro217 and jchrisk1 like this.
  8. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Are you having a hard time with what’s going on? Perhaps you should reread everything in this thread again before commenting.

alaskaleftybass and scuzzy like this.
  9. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Not at all. That was humor. I will type slowly- It might just be cheaper to buy a working cab.
    I realize you have a project, but I'm with the majority here- You will spend more than it's worth to built a cab with little value, and no guarantee of the quality of the finished product.

Munjibunga likes this.
  10. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I should have stated this at the beginning, but here goes. I understand that putting other than OEM spec in will alter the sound/performance. I also understand the price of drivers and the diminishing returns that could be involved, it’s a heavy cab, yada yada yada.....
    The fact of the matter is I’m in for 40 bucks. I haven’t done anything to the cab and I’m in no hurry.

Jason Hollar, S-Bigbottom and scuzzy like this.
  11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If the Eminence Delta 10's spec out nicely, it could be a good budget-conscious option. I'm sure Eminence will let you know what in their line will work.

I understand the desire to tinker and take something from not-working to working, while potentially spending more money than some are comfortable with. I look at it this way....you are recycling, and you will end up with unused speakers (if you buy new) and don't have to worry about the mileage and history put on a used cab, that could crap out at any moment.

I do think the idea of chopping it in half and making two 2x10's would be awesome. Especially if you determine to re-finish the cabs.

David A. Davis likes this.
  12. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    New casters: I LOVE Mesa casters. Slide right off when you need them to.

quickervicar likes this.
  13. Tough crowd
    Jeez

I’m not sure saying “just forget it; dumb idea” is beneficial to this thread

scuzzy and David A. Davis like this.
  14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    some people have no sense of DIY or tinkering for the sake of tinkering in their DNA. I have learned that they cannot and will not ever understand the desire to do so. arguments regarding it are fruitless.

15. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I'll admit it was over done, and I was part of it. Sometimes you have to just say dumb idea tho'. Last week someone wanted to strip a Squier bass. An unbelievable amount of foolish work to end up with a worthless plywood bass. These people need to be told 'Put on the brakes and think about this!!'
    At the end of the day, anybody can do anything they want with their own gear, but a subtle hint is not always enough.

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    After you clean and shave the carpet, would something like Scotchguard help from pilling up again? Since Vaseline is out of the question.

17. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    share with us when you get it

18. Amano

Amano

May 5, 2015
    Planet earth
    Good change this speakers might work fine.

CYBER SPECIAL 4 pack 10

I would not go for the neodymium route the cabinet itself is allready heavy anyway.

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup: i admire your tenacity!

while there are real issues regarding the box and which drivers to load: you are right for thinking there might be a solution/options other than the OEM's. for one thing: the box/ports can be modified (in lots of different ways!), if necessary. it's less of a crapshoot if you do your proper homework first! you might also have some fun spec'ing this out...

good luck! :thumbsup:

20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    It will work with a little blood sweat and tears. Persist and you will be rewarded with a beast of a cabinet. Myself, I'm with the group that's not set up to do DIY projects, but those of you brave souls hats off to you! Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I'm subbed and watching with great anticipation! :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    S-Bigbottom likes this.