1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden D410XLT, now what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, May 29, 2018.

Tags:

Refurb?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2018.
  1. Ceramic

24.2%
  2. Neodymium

72.7%
  3. Rat fur

18.2%
  4. Duratex

42.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    It’s hard to beat those high power eminence ceramic drivers but that cab was already awkward & heavy with the stock woofers. I say go neo and thumbs up on the 4ohms. I hear rat fur is a beast to remove but if you do, go tolex.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I admire your willingness to fix something instead of toss it and replace it. I have a GK 115 I've been hanging on to that needs a 1
    $150 crossover which is about the what the cab is worth. Someday I'll fix it.

The Legend CA10 is probably what they will recommend to you.

David A. Davis likes this.
  3. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    i love projects like this!!

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @AdamR sometimes it pays to cruise through the listings on eBay or even search for that exact part by name. You'd be amazed at some of the obscure parts that people sell on eBay. Also, I think here on TB there's a "wanted" listing for items people are looking for. Good luck, hope you find your part!

AdamR and David A. Davis like this.
  5. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    That’s what I’m talking about! I’ll dig deeper into those. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  6. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Unfortunately, S-Bigbottom is right on this. If you don't replace it with the Eden speakers that were designed for that cab, it will not perform like it originally did. These used custom designed speakers that although have more recently been manufactured by Eminence, Eminence can't sell them to you. You have to go to Eden to get them. And at $928 for the complete set of speakers, you're way above what a used D410XLT in good shape goes for.

Prior to Marshall's purchase of Eden and their re-numbering of the speakers, the ones that go in here for a 4 ohm cabinet are the cast frame #EC1060XL 4 ohm Eden speakers. Each pair was wired in parallel (=2 ohm load) and then the pairs were wired in series bringing the total ohm load to 4 ohms (2 + 2 in series=4). If you can find a set of those that hasn't been damaged by use, that's the original model number of the speakers that filled that cab.

7. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The XLT cabs all have 2 shelf ports in them, regardless of whether they are 210, 410, or 610 cabs. The Eden XST's had only one shelf port. So if you cut this is half, all bets are off on what you'll end up with. You'll need to have someone model this to figure out the resulting thiele-small parameter to get speakers that will sound good with it hacked up like that. Would be interesting to read that thread if you can find it.

8. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Ok, so now I’m starting to get some clarity on this. So before Marshall bought out Eden, the spec 10’s (the expensive ones) were the good ones? From what I’ve been reading the EC1060xl’s are the ones that blow. These are what were originally in this cab and probably didn’t sound as good as the original spec speakers. So, yes if I wanted the OEM old speakers, then we would be talking $900-1000. That ain’t happening, rest assured. I’ll wait for a reply from Eminence and see what they have to say.

9. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Actually I was kind of surprised when I picked this one up. I haven’t weighed it yet, but I’d guess it’s under 50lbs.

10. lexefx

lexefx picky?? Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Grayslake IL
    Speaker Components - OEM Parts | Chokes Unlimited - great guy and you'll end up crossed over on the cheap.

11. lexefx

lexefx picky?? Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Grayslake IL
    I had some Faital 10's in the 410 XLT. Not cheap but they sounded outstanding, and came in 16 ohm. When I sold the cab, I put OEM back in an sold the Faitals separately and got $500 for the set.

12. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The EC10160XL's were the original speakers that David Nordschow designed for his D410XLT cab since back when the cabs first came out. Eden has only made catalogs since 1997, so that's as far back as my records go. They are NOT known for blowing. That cab was designed to handle 700-watts RMS with those speakers in it. Could you blow them? Sure, you can blow any speaker, but those were not weak or prone-to-blow speakers. The speakers you get in that cab now are identical, they just have different numbers on them

Back in about 2008 if I recall correctly, Eden stopped making those speakers in-house and had Eminence manufacture them to Eden's specs for Eden. They had to have exactly the same specs as the ones Eden used to make in-house, and after a few tries Eminence nailed it. Eminence has been making the Eden speakers ever since and they make the current Eden speakers too. The new numbers on the speakers are just "the new numbers". It's exactly the same speaker that Eminence has been manufacturing to Eden's specs since they took over the manufacturing on Eden's speakers. The only difference will be the age of the speakers.

13. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Looks like the Faitals are only about $20 less each than the OEM speakers. Probably not enough to make a difference. Good to hear they sounded good for you though.

14. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Go to reverb and look up hempopotamess this guy has great speakers and you won't spend a arm and a leg

15. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
  16. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    The reply from Eminence

Hi Dave,

If you want a neodymium replacement, I recommend our Deltalite II 2510-4.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Best Regards,

ANTHONY LUCAS
    Design Engineer/Technical Support

Linnin likes this.
  17. You can trust Big Tony! :thumbsup: He's world famous ya know! :woot:

18. (Vertical circumference) skillsaw finished off with crosscut saw.

19. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Wizzy cones!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Got two of 'em on my two EX110's! :D

21. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Latest reply from Eminence

For a ceramic, I recommend our Legend CA105916. This is a 16 ohm speaker so you would wire the cabinet in parallel for 4 ohms.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Best Regards,

ANTHONY LUCAS
    Design Engineer/Technical Support

Amano likes this.