Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 550 vs. Thunderfunk TFB 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burk48237, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Thunderfunk TBF 500

62 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Eden WT 550

58 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've decided to go lighter, the Focus is a little to sterile for me. So I've basically narrowed it down to two options. The Thunderfunk and the Eden 550. I do like the Eden sound and I have an Eden bag laying around. I really don't want another rack. I had the old traveler (300 ) and loved the sound but felt it was under powered into 8 ohms, but fine with a 4 ohm load. I play Blues, R & B, some Gospel. The only reason I'm even considering the TF is the owner "raves" here on TB. I'm running a LDS 2 X 10 neo and plan on adding a 2 X 12 neo. So I would love to here some comparisons from some who have played both. Also what quality is the direct out on the TF? I have heard the Eden's is quite good, I'd like to leave the Avalon U5 at home.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I believe the TF is tonally more versatile than the Edens (other than handling lower impedences -- the Eden is rated for more power at 2ohm).

If you want 'clean', you can get it.

It you want 'old school', semi-tubey, you can get it.

3. burk........I know you have been using the 750 and I can't tell you how surprised I was to get a similar sound out of the T-Funk!! Granted it does not give you the sheer sense of size that the 750 does, but neither will the Eden.....Personally, I would choose the TF hands down......the EQ is definitely more flexible and there is a couple of options on the DI out which is VERY good....YOU can even bypass the preamp and essentially go from the bass itself as a pass through if you want. Dave really nailed it with the 550....Good Luck!!

Peace,

T

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Interesting comparison, I'm very curious to hear the results.

I have no input to offer other than I've been thinking about a WT550 for a while now too. Eden's sound and reputation is great. However these Tfunks are all the rage around here. How are Tfunks for rock stuff? the clips on their site are light jazz/funk style.

I'm suprised to hear you can get close to an aggie 750 tone out of it...seems to be a very versatile amp. In my experience the Eden's eq was pretty fantastic too though...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that those are both two very fine choices. I'd probably have a hard time choosing between the two unless I had the bass and cabs that I would be using on hand for a direct A/B comparision.

Looks like a win/win situation to me...

Tom.

6. How's it going?!? I know we've talked about this briefly, but more focused on the Eden550. That head and the TF550 are both fabulous, well made, close in price and weight. As was said by me and others on other threads.... the Eden is a little fuller and warmer in the low end, probably due to the tube in the preamp... the TF is massively punchy and clean... and can get very 'modern' with the switch option. I think it's a coin toss... you would be very happy with either, and my feeling is you could get both within 80% of the other tone-wise and volume wise.

That's a fun decision to make.... do I want this really nice one or that really nice one.

I know you are very familiar with the Eden sound... if you want to give the TF a spin, let me know and I'll bring mine down to LDS for you to try.

Ken

7. I have not used the DI... I'm sure it's good... however, it is only 'post EQ'... not that big of a deal, since most of us run the amp reasonably flat anyway. It also has a 'pre-EQ' 1/4 inch out that can be run into a direct box if the 'post EQ' thing bothers you. That is literally the only very small complaint I have about that amp! :)

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thunderfunk for me. I tried a WT-550 and was unimpressed with the hiss out of the Eden D410XLT even with the tweeter off. Besides, at similar prices I'll take a hand-made, proven design with high-end parts over a mass - produced head with lesser EQ possibilities every time. I'm not sure about any volume differences between the two heads, but I do know that a Yorkville XS800h + 8x8 cab simply destroyed the Eden 550 and D410XLT volume - wise, both clean and dirty.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't played a TF. I debated it along with the Eden WT-550 that I bought. I really like the Eden. I have used it with and without PA, upright and electric and it has performed very well.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The TFB's DI is nice and quiet, with lots of juice at the DI pot. I run it at about "5," and the sound guys at live venues say it's dead quiet. I don't mind it being post EQ, as KJung noted, TB\FB's usually get very little eq tweaking anyway.

Very tough call.

I own TFB420, Eden WT800B, and an Eden Navigator/QSCPLX, and I find I can use them all pretty interchangably with the biggest difference being the power rating of the three. And even with the TFB being "only rated at 400 watts," thru a Schroeder 410 it's devastating.

Tough call;) You've picked two real good ones to choose from. Give yourself a raise and buy both!

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've never got to try a T-funk, but I love the Eden heads. Based on that, and the raves the Tfunk gets here, it sounds like a win/win to me. I'd probably go with the Eden, but only because I'm much more familiar with it.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm curious how many people voting have owned both

I have, and I'll vote for the TF. The Eden is no slouch, but IMO the TF is more versatile. The 'one knob eq' timbre control on the TF is amazingly useful, it's the knob I use the most.

The TF also sounds much louder to my ears.

I guess, in closing, I'll put it this way. The Eden is a perfectly fine amp. But the day I got the TF, my amp GAS ended.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wow...a dead tie so far.

I voted for the Eden because I've played it and loved it...never tried the Tfunk though. Might have to track one down and try it.

14. I should have mentioned that I have owned an Eden Metro combo and a Navigator Pre so I am very familiar with Eden.....don't know if that makes a difference or not but there it is....I still prefer the T-Funk :D !!

Peace,

T

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Maybe it's just me, but if there's an A vs B poll I only vote if I've tried/owned both A and B. Otherwise I can't back up why I made my choice.

16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I'd definitely vote that you get the WT550 :ninja:

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I *have* used both. They are both great amps. The TF is punchier and cleaner, brighter right out of the gate. The 550 is, as KJung said, warmer and fatter in the lows...and, IMO sweeter in the highs and smoother in the high mids. I think it's a matter of preference, and I preferred the 550. Caveat: I'm a jazzer, not a rocker. If you need to get through a dense stage mix, the TF might be your ride.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto.

19. +1

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    True...Sorry, I probably shouldn't have voted since I have no experience with the TF.

I've been a little Eden crazy lately. I'm basically in the same boat though , I'm seriously considering a WT550 since I've played a few times and loved it. But the extreme praise the TFs get around here and is making my rethink my next amp purchase.