Epiphone Jack Casady Really is All That

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Dec 10, 2017.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    The bass solo at 3:15 sold me. I actually heard it first in iTunes on the Best of Hot Tuna album. It's a bit different and moves from sounding like an upright to that P Bass tone to a nice OD growl. Amazing stuff...

2. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I feel the same way about where it fits, tone-wise.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Anyone want to check out an original old Gibson Les Paul Signature (the "proto-Jack") - I got one: NBD almost.... :D

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

Not bad at all, but honestly, I think he's done better. ;)
    (not the JC, one of its legendary predecessors)
    (on the JC like 39 years later still cooking with fire!)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    RedVee, ThuzzleFump and BassJuju like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Of course, the truly amazing thing is that he riffs about like that pretty much every time they play. A true living legend. :D

ThuzzleFump and rickdog like this.
  6. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    When I saw them a couple of years ago, Ray was playing a black JC, so he must really like that model!

7. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    Finally got to play my new JC20 with the band last night. I don't know if its possible, but I love this thing even more now. The low end is to die for.

8. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I only had a few minutes to play this one today, but I wanted to share a couple of photos. I’ll do a NBD whe I’ve had additional time to play it. I think someone here suggested buying the case... good advice.

22522C74-EA33-4E6F-B2E7-3A50D0AFD35E.jpeg 1B2DB027-7492-4932-A13E-2DA90BB47ECA.jpeg

9. Ow, ow, ow! I have GAS pains for the 20th Anniversary JCB but I have a year-old Blue Royale and getting another wouldn't do much for the state of domestic bliss. As I've remarked before, a red, white and blue set of JCBs would tickle my giblets something fierce. C'mon Lotto!

IMO Getting the hard case was a good move.

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    That's a real beauty! Love the flame. And I agree that it deserves a good case. The Epi case is quite nice, too. Congratulations.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I really like my EJC, especially for higher volume gigs where the volume interacts with the hollow body to give more sustain. Sonically, it is a different beast. Doesnt sound like the usual P/J. I can squeeze tone variety easily with hand placement, playing harder can produce more distorted tone.

Downsides
    1) Uncomfortble to play sitting down, unless its side saddle.
    2) Varatone button doesnt do much.

12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    String recommendations for a EJC?

I am thinking Rotosounds, but I think Jack Cassady had a specific recommendation.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I think I recall reading JC uses Dean Markley Blue Steels. Yup: "PREFERRED STRINGS: I use Dean Markley “Blue Steel” strings, round wound. Medium Light. Gauges: E-105; A-80; D-65; G-45."

I like DR Hi Beams on mine, and I like heavy gauges.

14. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I had a set of DR Pure Blues put on mine. I don’t know what is installed from the factory, but I didn’t like them at all.

15. I agree, BassJuju, the factory strings were terrible!

I remember, they were turning my fingers black after playing them for about 10 minutes.

I switched to Blue Steels, which are very good. I also put various flats on: Rotosound 77s, Fender 9050s and the LaBella Jamerson Set. I took the LaBella's off after 3 days, as I thought they were going to pull the bridge off! Seriously, the tension felt that high.

I now have D'Addario XL 100s on, and I really like these strings. They ring so clear in the upper register!

I have Ernie Ball Cobalts on another bass, and absolutely love these, and may put a set on my Jackbass.

One of the nice things about the Jack Casady bass, is that it takes well to almost any strings, and shows a different side of its personality with each set.

Much good luck with yours. :thumbsup:

I would love to get a 20th anniversary.

Mike

RedVee and ThuzzleFump like this.
  16. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Wow... The last set of strings that did that to me were the factory set that came on my Rick. I played a JC20 locally and while the strings were silver in color, they smelled like phosphor bronze strings and left that aroma on my hands for a bit after I played them. I am certain that I am picky that way, but I don't want my hands to smell like I have been toting around a handful of pennies. :D I know... Still. I noodled around a bit this morning and the DR's are still new and very bright, but I suspect they will settle in nicely. I had good tonal variations with just a few quick adjustments on the bass. I always wanted 2 pups in the past, but I might get to liking this one pup deal.

RedVee likes this.
  17. I've used only the factory strings and the Jack-recommended Markley's on my JCB but I've played one with flats and it does have a distinct personality with each. Contrary to some reports here the Varitone switch position makes a marked difference in the sound on mine and the others I've played.

Old Blastard and bholder like this.
  18. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have Sadowsky Black Labels on mine, serious low thump and great feeling.

19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, I find the switch makes quite a difference as well, 50 is more tonally even across the frequencies, 500 bumps up the fundamentals quite strongly, 250 about in between. Jack likes 50, I'm partial to 500 - I like the "boom". ;) Of course, there's a substantial volume difference too, which some don't like, but I find useful.

Old Blastard likes this.
  20. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I love it on 500, cuts through EVERYTHING :D